Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 01:17 PM

20 posts, read 56,905 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved here and were looking for suggestions on a few good restaurants. We're willing to travel around the city as long as it's good so any neighborhood is fine! Best authentic Mexican? Italian? Steakhouse? Complete hole in the wall? Sesfood? Asian and sushi? Give us your favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcarbaugh View Post
My husband and I just moved here and were looking for suggestions on a few good restaurants. We're willing to travel around the city as long as it's good so any neighborhood is fine! Best authentic Mexican? Italian? Steakhouse? Complete hole in the wall? Sesfood? Asian and sushi? Give us your favorites.
Hey welcome! Glad you guys made it. What part of town did you end up in? I will make a start on your list! You will get lots of differences of opinions.

Authentic Mexican - LOTS of good mexican, all can be different but still good. But Mi Nidito is very good for the more authentic stlye. A little fancier night out I like El Charro

Steakhouse - For a night out with the honey Sullivans for a night out with the kids Pinacle Peak ( It great to go without the kids too but is a bit loud/Cowboy steakhouse. Great fun!

BBQ, you didn't ask but thought I would throw it in anyway. Brushfire BBQ , if you like something with some bite to it try the smoky chipotle sauce.

Asian - Chopstix in Marana

A local chain called eegee's has great sandwiches/fries and a flavor of the month eegee drink that is a one of a kind.

Best hole in the wall - Roma Imports Try the sausage,mushroom spinach lasagna. They have table you can sit down out or ready to go take out.
For a family owned deli try Dickmans Meat & Deli. For the best Sonoran hot dog in town Fatdogs, it's a roadside hotdog place. Track them on Facebook to know where the set up on any given day!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:07 PM

205 posts, read 572,462 times
If you go to Pinnacle Peaks make sure you wear a neck tie!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:18 PM

20 posts, read 56,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Hey welcome! Glad you guys made it. What part of town did you end up in? I will make a start on your list! You will get lots of differences of opinions.
Thank you so much! We are leasing in Marana, we move into the house next week. We looked at houses all over, and a ton in Oro Valley but the space in terms of sq. footage and the price was worth the extra 10 minute drive from Marana. Until next week we are in a corporate condo in Starr Pass... what beautiful views!! Thank you for all your help, by the way.

Last edited by Rcarbaugh; 02-25-2012 at 05:28 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat View Post
If you go to Pinnacle Peaks make sure you wear a neck tie!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcarbaugh View Post
Thank you so much! We are leasing in Marana, we move into the house next week. We looked at houses all over, and a ton in Oro Valley but the space in terms of sq. footage and the price was worth the extra 10 minute drive from Marana. Until next week we are in a corporate condo in Starr Pass... what beautiful views!! Thank you for all your help, by the way.
Great, glad you like it so far. Yes you will get a lot more house for the money in Marana, close to a lot of amenities also. If you need any other info for doctors, veterinarians, car repair etc, just post it here. Lots of people are glad to help.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
For a special evening, I'm a big fan of North at La Encantada. Great ambiance and food worth the money.

I love the Greek food at Opa!, east side of North Campbell, just a shade south of Blacklidge. They have every other Greek restaurant I've tried here beat hands-down. It's not easy to find, but keep looking. It's in a strip mall (what isn't?).

I have a lot of issues with pizza in Tucson due to the universally tasteless crust. But things are looking up with the advent of Bella Vita Pizzeria on Ina Road at Old Father (so that's close to Marana, if not in it). Real Italians work there. The crust is not bread-like thick or cracker-like thin and it's chewy (yay!) They seem a little overwhelmed by the attention they're getting though, so don't expect stellar service.

Go just a few blocks east on Ina (near Thornydale) to Jade Garden, my favorite Chinese restaurant to date. Good food and great value.

A little further east on Ina (at Shannon) is what I consider the best burger and fries. Grumpy's is a simple place that can't seem to decide if it is a family diner or a sports bar, but that's OK with me as long as they keep putting out grilled-to-order burgers and the hottest, most flavorful fries I've had in ages. I have no idea about the rest of the menu since a burger is the only thing I've ever eaten there. Friendly wait staff, too. My brother says they have breakfast, too, but I've never been.

I take visiting kids to Sauce at Casas Adobes Plaza (Ina and Oracle) and then next door to Frost for to-die-for gelato. I highly recommend Frogs Bakery in the same plaza for lunch on the patio or baked goods to go. But it's authentic French and therefore a bit expensive — all that butter in the croissants is pricey. But worth it. I take out-of-town guests there and they are jealous.

Good breakfasts at the various Jerry Bob's. I'm partial to the one on Cortaro Farms Rd. — that one would be closest to you, Rcarbaugh. Excellent sandwiches at the Beyond Bread outlets. Best subs at Jimmy Johns -- don't think Subway, think "I'm in New York."

I resisted going to Frankie's South Philly Cheesesteaks for years because I thought, "Seriously? In Tucson?" Well, I admit I'm an east coast snob who's been powned. They ARE that good. N. Campbell Ave., east side between Glenn and Grant.

I've typed enough, so I'm not going to discuss Mexican. There's too much to say. I will note, however, I do not share Rick's enthusiasm for El Charro. I know they're supposed to be world famous for carne seco but ... I've eaten at every one of their outlets and I've been underwhelmed at all and had terrible service at more than one. The casual El Minuto, downtown at the edge of Barrio Histórico, is definitely worth a trip. A bonus is it's next to El Tiradito, a famous shrine that is a unique, has-to-be-seen-at-least-once, Tucson cultural landmark.
El Tiradito Shrine an Ode to Local Hispanic Folklore

One final note re: "impress out of town guests ... and yourself, too." Don't ignore the famous and historic Arizona Inn on East Elm, near the university. It's a renowned restaurant and a unique setting, not merely a boutique hotel. You can have tea there or an elegant brunch or lunch in their garden. Dinner, too, of course, but that's out of my price range. We took my mother there for lunch on her birthday and she was enthralled.

Have fun exploring.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 02-25-2012 at 09:54 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 09:51 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
Moderator cut: snip Had a very good burger at Red Garter Grill. Good burgers. I know there has to be better options but you don't advertise them well for travelers coming in on I 10.

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-25-2012 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 PM

344 posts, read 642,843 times
Mexican, Casa Molina on either Speedway or Campbell
Western Steak, Pinnicle Peak on Tanque Verde,
Italian, Vivachi on Campbell and River Road
Chinese, China Rose on Speedway.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:07 AM

923 posts, read 1,429,627 times
Steak and Ribs - Daisy Mae's Steak House - Tucson, AZ - Home of the Finest Mesquite Steaks in Arizona

Italian - Caruso's Italian Restaurant, Tucson AZ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson