U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 PM

434 posts, read 595,825 times
Just wanted add my opinion on One North Fifth, seeing your alluding to being a noise nazi like me. I have been to the loudest, most raucous parties at that place since my college time, and, personally, I would never live there. It's not all college kids, but it is almost all young, single adults, who are living in the city's bar area to be close to the action and/or because they're in the service industry.
If you're looking for Downtown, I would suggest my old haunt of Redondo Tower. They were reasonably priced, a really diverse tenancy, and, most importantly, pretty much 0 tolerance for noise. I really enjoyed it there, but they almost always have a waiting list.

Driving to UA is not bad at all, as long as you're not arriving right at 9am and not driving to Oro Valley at 5pm. It also helps to work on the fringes of campus, as that's where many of the less-used lots are. I used to get in at 7-7:30am and never had problems finding a spot. Past 8 though, you were a little further out. Garage parking is an option but is roughly double the surface lot permit rate, and they deliberately oversell (not everyone comes in every day), so there are a couple of days at the beginning of the semester where the garages just fill up.
You can also try the commuter lots, like the USB lot at Main & 6th, which has a free shuttle into campus. The secret there though is that anyone can use that shuttle so, if you live close to there or one of its other stops, you can ride that. It's never crowded. At least when I've taken it. The Orange shuttle, which runs up Mountain, gets absolutely packed, and the public buses that service the high schools - particularly the one that runs 6th Street (#3) and the one that runs Euclid (#9) - get packed in the mornings. The #5 that runs down Pima and the #4 that runs every 10 minutes down Speedway are both very nice. And there are a number of express buses that service UA, which are almost 100% commuters and never very crowded.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 PM

63 posts, read 85,197 times
If I were driving, I would be parking (hopefully) in sixth street garage or the south of six lots (both right near my building).

Old 05-15-2012, 06:35 AM

434 posts, read 595,825 times
I realize the question was for "anyone else" but I wanted to suggest you get a weekly-rate hotel for a month or so and, while you're there, look at places. It should only take you a couple of weeks, so you just pay each week up front (as opposed to paying for a full month). Crossland, Extended Stay America and Studio 6 are three places in town that offer discounted weekly rates rooms with small kitchens. I've stayed at Crossland and, unlike other Crossland locations in the country, I would recommend it. Not ideal, and it'll end up being almost $1000 for the month, but I think it'll be worth it to not get stuck in a lease at a place you hate.
Another option would be to sign a 3-month lease at an apartment complex (many will do it, you just have to convince them that there's no way you're doing longer than that) and search while there. You'll spend a little more money than if you were on a 12-month lease, but it will be cheaper than a hotel, and you'll be out of that awful apartment complex that allowed you to do a 3-month lease soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson