Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 AM

430 posts, read 1,263,859 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Tucson regardless of all the negative comments-mels-house-009.jpg

Another reason to move here ....

O.Nana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,469 times
Default 1/29/13 Picture Rocks. really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssebnj View Post
I've decided to make Tucson my new home. About me: I'm divorced,mid 40's, looking for a complete change of scenery. I currently live in New Jersey and do not want to remain here for the rest of my life. Now, I realize Tucson would be a major change from what I'm used to, but I've just had it with New Jersey's high housing costs, high property taxes, high auto insurance rates, and high costs of just about everything else in this state. I made $72,000 here last year, and I'm still struggling to survive. This may seem hard to believe for Arizona residents, but I assure you, it's true. If I made that kind of money in Tucson, I'd be living like a king. I've been to Tucson several times on vacation (I have a friend who lives in Picture Rocks. I know,I know, white trash area, right?). However, for the type of house I'm looking for, I could buy it in the Picture Rocks area for CASH. How many people can say they live with no mortgage? Not to mention the property taxes would be 1/10 of what they would be in N.J. Also, I would never have to shovel snow again, or worse yet, have to drive to work in it. (Ask anyone who lives where it snows. Believe me, it's no picnic). Before anybody lectures me about the heat, I know all about it. Admittedly, N.J. doesn't get as hot as AZ., but the high humidity more than makes up for it. As for a job, I've been a truck driver my whole life. I know jobs are not as plentiful in AZ., but how hard can it be to get a job driving a truck? My biggest problem would probably be learning the area and the roads so I would not get lost (especially since there's no crosstown freeway in Tucson, hahaha. That topic has been discussed ad nauseum in previous threads). Regarding a salary, I realize I will not make as much money in Tucson, but as I stated earlier, I would not have a mortgage. All in all, I think it would be a good thing to try. I mean, if I move to Tucson and end up falling flat on my face for whatever reason, I know I could find my way back to New Jersey. (even though that would be an absolute last resort type of decision. Tucson would have to suck pretty bad for me to move back to N.J.) Any locals have any thoughts on this?
Picture Rocks, really? Hey, I moved from NJ to Tucson 8 years ago. Like you, divorce but also retired with a pension that keeps my head above water. If you move here you must know one thing right up front and that is this area got very comfortable with cheap labor coming from across the border, Consequently, wages stayed low across the board. However, that's not to say that there are not good driving jobs around here.

If you move here and begin looking for a driving position change your driver's license asap and have record abstracts in hand when you walk in the door. There's a lot of people out here looking for work but by the same token so many of them have records and are disqualified before the know it. Go to Jobs .com / Tucson and put in driving jobs. they'll send you a list every day from delivering pizza to groceries.

No matter where you live there's 3 months of bad weather, Tucson's 3 are June, July and August. Move out from Nov to April. Tucson is laid out in a grid. With the exception of a few, most roads run N & S / E & W. If you see something that peaks your interest while out driving, write down where you saw it because the intersections begin to all look the same after a while and you will not remember whee you saw IT.

If you haven't already move to AZ, respond to this note and I'll help you where I can with info. If you serious. Dorothy.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,221,243 times
Hi tom112945/Dorothy,

Welcome! It looks like you're a new member on C-D. It's great you found the search feature right away and searched for a topic that interested you.

If you look in the upper left hand corner of the original post ("OP"), you'll see the date is 9-16-2007. That is the date the post was written. In other words, you're responding to something that was asked 5-1/2 years ago.

It's great to add new information, even to older threads, in case someone else comes by with similar questions. I just wanted to let you know that you may not get a response from the OP, since the thread is so old.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,712 times
May be an old thread but it's certainly illustrative of what the OP didn't do. No, 'wow I'm here and love it' or 'glad to be gone from NJ' posts, his last suggesting he remained (or didn't stay in Tucson long). Maybe we woke up and faced reality. Happens a lot here.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
May be an old thread but it's certainly illustrative of what the OP didn't do. No, 'wow I'm here and love it' or 'glad to be gone from NJ' posts, his last suggesting he remained (or didn't stay in Tucson long). Maybe we woke up and faced reality. Happens a lot here.
I made the move from NJ 5+ years ago, and while it hasn't been all rainbows and lollipops, things worked out rather nicely for me here. Wild horses couldn't drag me back to NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson