Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:22 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times

Advertisements

In December 2014 I read that the office supply company Staples would be closing a number of its stores in the new year. I've shopped for certain items at the Orange Grove and Thornydale location (NW suburb) and wondered if it might be one. Mainly because any time I was ever there I saw more clerks than customers.

I went to that store on Sunday to buy something advertised in Staples' Sunday newspaper flier. I was met with signs on the door announcing that the store would be closing for good on February 14. The store is practically empty already; apparently they have been selling all demonstration items and floor models for 50% off for awhile now. So no new office chair for me. Then I find out I can't go to a different Staples store and pick it up because they're ALL closing.

No more Staples in Tucson, AZ.

I see this as a bit of a problem. Given that Office Depot and Office Max have merged, that leaves them as the only large office supply store in the entire metro. No competition is not good for customers. The last time I was in the Office Depot/Max on Ina, their computers weren't working and customers could not purchase items unless they were paying cash. (Would you buy a computer from a company like that?)

First these superstores drive all the Mom and Pop office supply stores out of business and now they are consuming each other. The Walmartization of America continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:16 AM

612 posts, read 1,021,148 times
I'm never sad to see a chain go under, but it will leave more empty storefronts for Tucson to contend with.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:04 AM

191 posts, read 172,015 times
Amazon is hurting a lot of retailers. I never left the house for Christmas shopping. The average Prime customer spent $1500 last year. Now there is Sunday delivery from Amazon and one day delivery for a little extra money. Natural Grocers filled the vacant space left when Office Depot vacated at Broadway and Kolb.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Staples might be merging with Office Depot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6601186.html

Old 02-05-2015, 08:10 PM

105 posts, read 227,772 times
Between Office Max and Office Depot and Staples it gets hard to keep them apart. I'll open a new chain named Staplers.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:38 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
FWIW

It's not the big retail stores knocking each other out of business anymore. It's the internet. Just walk into any large retail store, no matter who it is, and you'll see one thing they all have in common: Minimal customers. They are all closing stores this year. And where have the gone? Primarily Amazon and secondarily the online versions of the retail stores. Why go out spend a few hours and deal with stores when you can do most of your shopping online and for most situations the delivery is free.

For example: Need laser cartridge. Alt one is to get into car, drive somewhere, park, walk into store, find product, stand in line at register, pay, walk back to car, drive back home. Alt two is to get on internet, find product, order it and its at your home within 1-2 days with usually free shipping. Alt two saves you time and money spent on gas.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:51 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
We were just talking about this the other night. My Son ordered some car parts from Amazon. The price was $ 200 vs $250 anywhere else and they came in two days freight paid.

By the same token, the other night I needed a new alarm clock so I drove to WalMart. Had to park far away from the building, walk all the way in, search for the clock dept (no associates in sight to point where to go) and then stand in a long line to pay.

I see why the net is changing the way we buy.

Don

Old 05-22-2015, 05:51 AM

721 posts, read 996,456 times
They are closing many stores here in Boston as well. I am really disappointed since I have been selling my book collection off on Amazon and they have the perfect sized boxes for my over sized books.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:55 AM

522 posts, read 1,569,119 times
The other thing online stores can do is supply just about anything. Brick and mortar stores typically cannot or will not order some things. Si I have gotten accustomed to buying online for this reason and the fact that they most charges are as much as 50% less.

I buy lots of car parts and I used to get very frustrated just trying to find someone that would order a non standard part. Online there is everything available.

I understand that stores need to pay for the crazy rent and utilities/insurance/payroll but sometimes the cost is so much higher there but sometimes I find things online that can be 60-70% less than the stores. (same brand same part)

Just for a comparison, last night i bought a box of colored pencils for my daughter at Office Max. I pass it on the way home from work. The cheapest box was $6.95. Just going to Walmart I could save about $3.

Printer cartridges are another thing. I buy them on line for about $22 for a color and black pack. At Target the same HP set is $40.

So if these stores can't make their prices more attractive, more of them will end up closing.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
In December 2014 I read that the office supply company Staples would be closing a number of its stores in the new year. I've shopped for certain items at the Orange Grove and Thornydale location (NW suburb) and wondered if it might be one. Mainly because any time I was ever there I saw more clerks than customers.

I went to that store on Sunday to buy something advertised in Staples' Sunday newspaper flier. I was met with signs on the door announcing that the store would be closing for good on February 14. The store is practically empty already; apparently they have been selling all demonstration items and floor models for 50% off for awhile now. So no new office chair for me. Then I find out I can't go to a different Staples store and pick it up because they're ALL closing.

No more Staples in Tucson, AZ.

I see this as a bit of a problem. Given that Office Depot and Office Max have merged, that leaves them as the only large office supply store in the entire metro. No competition is not good for customers. The last time I was in the Office Depot/Max on Ina, their computers weren't working and customers could not purchase items unless they were paying cash. (Would you buy a computer from a company like that?)

First these superstores drive all the Mom and Pop office supply stores out of business and now they are consuming each other. The Walmartization of America continues.
Staples AND Office Max closed here in Bullhead; the 1 mom and pop still around, Office Express, they're now doing very well since ALL of their main big box competition is now gone.

Amazon: I very rarely buy anything there.

Walmart: sorry; Smiths which is Frys, is cheaper may times so Wallyworld gets very little of my money unless it's for certain things that CAN'T be bought at other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson