Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,886 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I too am moving to Tucson soon and have been looking for information on rentals. Background info on me: single female with a rent range preferrably under 700/mo, willing to go higher for the right place. I'll be working at UMC but will spend at least a few months down at the VA. My expectation of safety is not having my car stolen or place broken into. I am not expecting a utopia where I can leave a laptop in the car without my windows smashed.

From reading this site and others, it looks like NW, Foothills, and East are the best bets for nice, safe housing. However, my concern is traffic. Google thinks a drive from these areas to the VA is close to 40 minutes (for about 15 miles) because it's all on surface streets.

So my questions:
Is that commute a good estimate?
Are there areas which are more convenient to both UMC and VA but still safe?
How is West (west of 10) Tucson? What are the better areas there?
And because I've used up 5 tissues to type this post, how are the allergy seasons there?

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
if you find a place near I-10 on the NW side, your commute will be quicker because the VA is also near I-10 (6th Ave exit)....otherwise, yeah, surface streets from the E, Foothills, or other NW locations and 30-50 minutes depending on actual location....

<$700 will limit you a bit to locations that may not be the "best"....if you can swing staying in an "extended-stay" style motel/hotel (several brands exist) for the first few days here, you'll be able to scout places in person before committing to a place sight unseen...

areas W of I-10 are fine, but it's a big area covering many, many square miles...the further NW you go out there, the better.....

many here have colossal problems with allergies and others have no problem....based on what you wrote, it may be a problem, but can't say for sure, of course....

Old 05-06-2012, 05:12 PM

191 posts, read 789,163 times
I just posted this few minutes ago but Academy Lofts is right between the VA and UMC . Here's a YELP review . It has a REAL gated parking but the price range is a bit higher.

I used to live at the Foothills Apt . Some people had complaints about this place...I had a great time. It's somewhat gated and it's located at the base of a mountain (you have to drive a bit steep road) in the Foothills. It's also across a strip mall with banks, groceries etc.. But the drive will take you about 30 minutes to the UMC and about 40 minutes to the VA. I was paying 600 per month for a one bedroom (650 sq ft) with a front and back balcony. Utilities average about $50-$60 per month.

Don't know about you but I hate driving to work. I'd recommend living close to where you work (Academy Lofts). Here's another one I recently posted , One North Fifth which is also between UA and VA. Might try this one, Redondo Towers , also between VA and UMC.

And yes, since you have a vehicle, finding an apt right close to I-10 freeway, would also help. I wouldn't recommend living on the east side ... I knew a few friends who had their vehicle broken into their non-gated apt. Also, off street parking close to the U of A is not recommended....vehicles ALWAYS get broken into especially the months of August and September when U of A students move in....I got my $300 car CD/Radio (90's) stolen and left with a broken car window.

If you visit Tucson this month or June/July, you will have an easier time finding a place that you like.

If you are into small apartments with gated parking , these apts are located at 16th St and 5th Ave, Tucson, AZ - Google Maps .

I'd see a 'for rent' sign usually May/June . It's also between the VA and UMC in a historic neighborhood.

Last edited by acatalanb; 05-06-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,886 times
I'll be in Tucson later this month to look at apartments in person. I have only 24 hrs though so I'd like to narrow it down as much as possible before I go. I really appreciate any advice!

I hate driving to work too.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM

191 posts, read 789,163 times
You should be able to see rental signs at Mountain Ave. between Speedway Blvd and Grant Rd. . This strip of road has nice bike paths with street lights that beam yellow/orange lights. In fact, if you drive around UMC, there should also be rental signs in front of houses (may/june/july) where you can rent a room (and probably share) or small apts (with own 1 bdrm) owned by a family business. I use to live in this section and even rented a room (in a house with 5 other tenants) just right in front of the UMC library (that house has since been replaced with a parking lot/building). I have never experienced any break-ins.

Also, avoid paying a deposit/rent to reserved a place unless you'll be moving in within a month. Had several experiences where I paid only to have the room reserved taken by moving time... got the paid reservation returned, with no interest, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson