Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 AM

7 posts, read 15,375 times

Advertisements

I have many arguments as far as "the growth of Tucson". The engineers that decide what's going to be done, and when, all have their heads up their...well in the sand. They are widening highways now, that shoud have been widened BEFORE it became a nightmare to drive on these streets. They should have done just a bit more research on where the washes run and will run. And most of all, BEFORE building a housing developement of over 4000 homes, prepare the roads for this! What are they thinking?

As for public transportaion, that's a whole other deal with me. I am disabled, do not have a license, and have many doctor, lawyer, Social Security appointments, etc. Try coming from NW Tucson (Marana) to Bears Path to see the only doctor that will take your insurance. You can't. Do I have my friends take random days off to play coach and cart me here and there? So I am forced to drive illegally. (I lost my license because I could not pay my registration). In that sense I feel that there might be a bit of discrimination against the poor. If I cannot afford to pay my registration, what makes you think I can pay the $1900 in fines that I owe? So here is a catch 22. I don't go to my appointments, I lose my benefits. I DO go, but I am caught driving with no license. I go to jail. The decision is a very difficult one.

My 2 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 02:09 PM

70 posts, read 544,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony's Girl View Post
I have many arguments as far as "the growth of Tucson". The engineers that decide what's going to be done, and when, all have their heads up their...well in the sand. They are widening highways now, that shoud have been widened BEFORE it became a nightmare to drive on these streets. They should have done just a bit more research on where the washes run and will run. And most of all, BEFORE building a housing developement of over 4000 homes, prepare the roads for this! What are they thinking?

As for public transportaion, that's a whole other deal with me. I am disabled, do not have a license, and have many doctor, lawyer, Social Security appointments, etc. Try coming from NW Tucson (Marana) to Bears Path to see the only doctor that will take your insurance. You can't. Do I have my friends take random days off to play coach and cart me here and there? So I am forced to drive illegally. (I lost my license because I could not pay my registration). In that sense I feel that there might be a bit of discrimination against the poor. If I cannot afford to pay my registration, what makes you think I can pay the $1900 in fines that I owe? So here is a catch 22. I don't go to my appointments, I lose my benefits. I DO go, but I am caught driving with no license. I go to jail. The decision is a very difficult one.

My 2 cents
Marana is in the middle of nowhere. You need a car in Marana to get to places. You should try moving somewhere where there are buses in Tucson.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 17,150 times
Hi Ken!

We are also thinking of moving to Tucson in 5 years at retirement. I've read numerous comments about Tucson being ugly and really, can't figure out what they're talking about. Of course, I have a lot of fond memories of growing up as a kid in Tucson, so that may be weighing my perspective. The Sonora Desert is indeed a beautiful place.

I lived in northeast Tucson out by Sobino Vista and returning there just this last summer I see that the area has grown quite a bit. Of course we're talking about the 1960s when I lived there, so lots of time. Some of the area has gone downhill and has been let go, while other areas have taken over as "the nice area."

We are primarily looking at the northeast, north, northwest, or west for someplace on an acre or more. If we move to the desert, I want lots of saguaros on the property, and I don't want to hear any neighbors.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:19 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,324,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_ View Post
Hi Ken!

We are also thinking of moving to Tucson in 5 years at retirement. I've read numerous comments about Tucson being ugly and really, can't figure out what they're talking about. Of course, I have a lot of fond memories of growing up as a kid in Tucson, so that may be weighing my perspective. The Sonora Desert is indeed a beautiful place.

I lived in northeast Tucson out by Sobino Vista and returning there just this last summer I see that the area has grown quite a bit. Of course we're talking about the 1960s when I lived there, so lots of time. Some of the area has gone downhill and has been let go, while other areas have taken over as "the nice area."

We are primarily looking at the northeast, north, northwest, or west for someplace on an acre or more. If we move to the desert, I want lots of saguaros on the property, and I don't want to hear any neighbors.
Is that you buddy?

Ken

Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 AM

8 posts, read 17,150 times
Yup, it's me!

Old 10-09-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_ View Post
Yup, it's me!
Well, we just got back from a 4-day trip to Las Vegas on Saturday (training session for me). Our 5 week LV house-sitting gig got cancelled because the folks we housesat for decided to buy a 3rd home and bring in a perminant housesitting couple so they'd have the freedom to go off whenever they want. A bit disappointed (especially since the weather back here in Seattle has already turned cool and damp) but we'll survive.

Off to the north shore of Kauai in early December, then I think we are done with trips for a while (too darned broke for any more).

I've started a new Webshots album of the July/August Arizona trip. It's not done yet - nor accessable to the casual viewer, but the following link should take you to it if you are interested in taking a look. A couple of photos are actually from the January trip but most are from the July/August time frame.

Arizona (July/August 2007) pictures from travel photos on webshots

It is still not completely organized nor do all the photos have captions, but there are a few really nice shots (I think) - especially those of Sedona and a few interesting ones of Antelope Canyon.

Ken

Old 10-09-2007, 06:08 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,224 times
Default Nice pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, we just got back from a 4-day trip to Las Vegas on Saturday (training session for me). Our 5 week LV house-sitting gig got cancelled because the folks we housesat for decided to buy a 3rd home and bring in a perminant housesitting couple so they'd have the freedom to go off whenever they want. A bit disappointed (especially since the weather back here in Seattle has already turned cool and damp) but we'll survive.

Off to the north shore of Kauai in early December, then I think we are done with trips for a while (too darned broke for any more).

I've started a new Webshots album of the July/August Arizona trip. It's not done yet - nor accessable to the casual viewer, but the following link should take you to it if you are interested in taking a look. A couple of photos are actually from the January trip but most are from the July/August time frame.

Arizona (July/August 2007) pictures from travel photos on webshots

It is still not completely organized nor do all the photos have captions, but there are a few really nice shots (I think) - especially those of Sedona and a few interesting ones of Antelope Canyon.

Ken
Hi Ken,

Nice pictures! Sedona and Antelope Slot Canyon near Page are heaven for photographers. Is Pict6877 Patagonia Lake in Cochise county? It looks familiar. The towns of Sonoita and Patagonia are very pretty on the way to the lake. Little gem in the middle of nowhere. Loved it!

Just curious, do you have to wait long before you move to AZ? Are you going to build or put up a manufactured home on your J-6 property?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:17 PM

Glad you liked the photos. Yeah, that is indeed Patagonia Lake (very nice little lake).

Not sure exactly when we'll move down to J-6. At the very least it's 4-5 years off. I've got a maximum of 12 years or so until I retire and we really bought the property as a retirement destination - however we hope to move down there some years prior to retirement (but not too much before) and since I do computing work I should be able to simply work from there.

We're planning on putting up a higher-end manufactured (possibly a modular) home on the property.

Ken

Old 10-10-2007, 12:47 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Glad you liked the photos. Yeah, that is indeed Patagonia Lake (very nice little lake).

Not sure exactly when we'll move down to J-6. At the very least it's 4-5 years off. I've got a maximum of 12 years or so until I retire and we really bought the property as a retirement destination - however we hope to move down there some years prior to retirement (but not too much before) and since I do computing work I should be able to simply work from there.

We're planning on putting up a higher-end manufactured (possibly a modular) home on the property.

Ken
Good move on buying the property early. I have up to 30 years before my retirement. I did not want to wait that long to leave Ohio after discovering Arizona. Been in the Tucson area now for 13 months and loving it. I also like Cochise county but I needed to be closer to Tucson for jobs. Who knows, down the road I might move that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson