U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 509 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating to Tucson, Arizona in September of this year we are trying to see how is it there and how would it be raising 5 kids there. My job is relocating me there and we are trying to just get some ideas on what to expect. [mod snip] Are there things for kids to do there? what kind of attractions are there? What are the best areas to move to with reasonable price homes for rent not over $1400 a month? My husband and I are just trying to get some ideas.Thank you so much!!

Last edited by observer53; 07-27-2012 at 07:08 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 07:10 AM

14,198 posts, read 17,750,597 times
Start here with some basic data: http://www.city-data.com/city/Tucson-Arizona.html

There's a wealth of information here already if you read the pertinent threads in this forum. Best of luck with your move!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:14 AM

101 posts, read 124,760 times
IMO the 2 best areas to move for a family are the Continental Ranch area in Marana, it has easy access to the I10, convientent shopping, parks and pools and the schools are pretty good in that area. The next best area is Vail (complete opposite side of town from Marana) they have the best schools in the state and depending on where in Vail there is nearby shopping but a bit of a drive for anything else.

It is really going to depend on what is important to you and your family. Do you want to be close to work? Or is school for your children most important? What kind of activities do you and your family enjoy doing?

We are like any typical city, we have movie theaters, bowling alleys, soccer, baseball and other sports for the kids. We have a pretty decent zoo and a huge great park right next to it that is great for day outings, bycycling and golf.

Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:55 PM

33 posts, read 28,487 times
Your kids could immerse themselves in almost anything here: horses, swimming (gold medal in Olympics won last night by a Tucson hero), theater, drawing, or hiking... there's even a fencing school. They will learn the history of local Native American cultures in fourth grade (it's a state requirement). My daughter learned sign language in kindergarten in the public schools. They'll be exposed to some Spanish in early grades. The libraries have fun summer programs including history of mountain men and exposure to local animals. Almost every kid here enjoys the big gem and mineral show, and the vendors often give kids free minerals. As a kid I enjoyed feeling rugged and knowing I lived near a 9,000 foot mountain. I think your kids would get a kick out of that. Don't make the outdoors frightening. Learn the native things and you'll all be richer for the experience.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 PM

2,701 posts, read 2,313,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tara27 View Post
My family and I will be relocating to Tucson, Arizona in September of this year we are trying to see how is it there and how would it be raising 5 kids there. My job is relocating me there and we are trying to just get some ideas on what to expect. [mod snip] Are there things for kids to do there? what kind of attractions are there? What are the best areas to move to with reasonable price homes for rent not over $1400 a month? My husband and I are just trying to get some ideas.Thank you so much!!
Where do you live in OK and what school do your kids attend. Tucson is different because other than Marana it really doesn't have suburbs in the true sense of the word and even Marana didn't really exist until the 1970s. It would also be important to know where your job is going to be because Tucson is a bear to get across due to the lack of freeways.

Also, the summer we had in Oklahoma last year and the one we are having this year in July is pretty much the standard summer in Tucson. Tucson is drier but has a lot more radiant heat due to the dry air. Generally the last half of May and June are oven like. Then from about July 4th through Labor day the monsoon season hits and the temps drop but the humidity kicks up a bit. When I moved to Tucson in July, I couldn't figure out why it wasn't a tropical rain forest because it rained every day for about the first 60 days I lived there.

However, Tucson has pretty much perfect weather from October through April and the first half of May and the last half of September are just a little bit hot.

Due to it's layout and the transient nature of it's citizenry Tucson doesn't have near the community feel that Oklahoma areas do. However because people are from all over there is a much more diverse set of interest groups out there. In that way it is much different than Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson