U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:52 AM

8 posts, read 7,367 times

Advertisements

Me and my friend are moving to Tucson in the end of September. We will be taking the Greyhound there from Ohio and I have a few questions to ask you guys.

We won't have jobs at first (I will be going to Labor Ready and/or other temp agencies until I find something permanent), so we won't be able to qualify for an apartment when we move there. We will have money saved up but most apartments require a proof of income. So we have been looking on rooms and shares on Craigslist to find a place to stay for a month or two when we get there, just until we get jobs and get our own place. Does anyone know of any CHEAP apartments or maybe motels or something which rent out monthly, who would rent to a couple people coming from another state who have no jobs yet? All we need is a 1 bedroom or studio.

We both have cats and we will be unable to take them with us at first, obviously. We have someone to watch them until we can get them, but we were looking at prices to ship cats and so far Delta Dash is the cheapest at $300 for one cat (we have 3 cats total). Does anyone know of any other services which ship pets across the country? We really don't want to give up our cats.

OH! Also, do you guys know of any temp agencies in Tucson (other than Labor Ready)? I have mostly experience in factory work so that's the kind of work I'm going to be looking for, and I've never had a problem getting a job through a temp agency so if you know of the names of any, that would be great

Thanks, any help is appreciated

Last edited by arohnr; 07-27-2012 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 AM

339 posts, read 626,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arohnr View Post
Me and my friend are moving to Tucson in the end of September. We will be taking the Greyhound there from Ohio and I have a few questions to ask you guys.

We won't have jobs at first (I will be going to Labor Ready and/or other temp agencies until I find something permanent), so we won't be able to qualify for an apartment when we move there. We will have money saved up but most apartments require a proof of income. So we have been looking on rooms and shares on Craigslist to find a place to stay for a month or two when we get there, just until we get jobs and get our own place. Does anyone know of any CHEAP apartments or maybe motels or something which rent out monthly, who would rent to a couple people coming from another state who have no jobs yet? All we need is a 1 bedroom or studio.

We both have cats and we will be unable to take them with us at first, obviously. We have someone to watch them until we can get them, but we were looking at prices to ship cats and so far Delta Dash is the cheapest at $300 for one cat (we have 3 cats total). Does anyone know of any other services which ship pets across the country? We really don't want to give up our cats.

Thanks, any help is appreciated
You sound just like my situation! I moved from Ohio to Tucson, I stayed in an extended stay hotel till I found a job then moved into apartments right next door to where I work. It can be done, just flood the internet with your resume and apply to many jobs and you will find work. I've been her almost 3 yrs now and I love it and I'm sure you will too!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 AM

Awesome!! Where did you stay and how much did it cost? How much money did you have saved up and how long did it take to find a job?

Old 07-27-2012, 01:22 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,605,109 times
I moved here the first week in June and have been staying at the Studio 6 extended stay motel. It's a couple hundred bucks a week for the first month. After the first month it's reduced to $189 per week. It's not the quietest place because it's full of noisy construction workers who have no consideration for others at night, and the type of families who let their kids run wild day and night, but the price is right for a temporary place to stay until you can find something better. They allow pets. If you can afford something better, I think there are other extended stay motels in the better parts of town.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Awesome!! Where did you stay and how much did it cost? How much money did you have saved up and how long did it take to find a job?
Hi there, I stayed at a place called Crossland that my travel agent hooked up for me at the time I bought my ticket, and you could rent by the day, week or month. I forgot how much weekly rate was but monthly rate for a 1 bedroom was $500 a month and internet and cable were included as well as a landline phone. It had a little kitchen and they supplied you with dishes and a coffee maker. There's a laundry on the property too. And it's on a bus route. It was perfect for someone in my situation. I don't know about temp agencies but I flooded the internet applying to anything anywhere that was hiring online and after a couple of months the calls started coming. Even after I was hired I was still getting calls for 3 months from places where I had applied online. LOL! So finding work will be pretty easy I think. Once I was hired I saw an ad about people who find apartments for you for free, (Not free apartments, their service finding you the apartment was free)I went down there and the lady was nice, I told the lady where I was hired and to find me an apartment as close to the job as possible. She hooked me up with apartments right next door! I had 3 choices, I checked out the one closest, right next door to my job and I got in, plus this apartment complex even gives a discount to people who work where I work so that all worked out cool. I will try to remember the name of the place where I went to have them find me an apartment. That was 3 yrs ago but I think I will remember the name if I see it.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:00 AM

wow, that place that hooks people up with apartments, it sounds really good so if you could remember the name it would be wonderful

I can't really be waiting a couple months for calls to come in which is why I'll be going to labor ready until I find a permanent job, but with my background in factory work, temp agencies are the most convenient cuz they have mostly factory work and often are temp to hire

Old 07-29-2012, 07:32 AM

532 posts, read 921,958 times
There's an extended stay hotel on Grant/Rosemont that's nice. Tucson Extended Stay Properties | InTown Suites

Also here's a website that helps you compare amenities and rates for extended stay hotels anywhere, just search Tucson specific: Extended Stay Hotels

Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 AM

484 posts, read 776,181 times
Apartment locators is on the corner of Grant and Campbell.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
wow, that place that hooks people up with apartments, it sounds really good so if you could remember the name it would be wonderful

I can't really be waiting a couple months for calls to come in which is why I'll be going to labor ready until I find a permanent job, but with my background in factory work, temp agencies are the most convenient cuz they have mostly factory work and often are temp to hire
Yeah with a temp agency, that sounds like you will get work much sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
Apartment locators is on the corner of Grant and Campbell.
Yes that was it! Thanks! I couldn't remember the name but I remember where it was located and yes that's exactly where I went!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 AM

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson