U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2012, 08:13 PM

3,359 posts, read 2,902,897 times
Default Vehicle Emission Testing

I just got my license plate renewal notice/bill and it says my car needs an emissions test. (Vehicles older than 2008 need emissions testing). I didn't need one last year, as I'm 2007.

The form says the closest station to me is at Prince and I-10. There aren't any stations near Oro Valley? Can gas stations or Jiffy Lube type places do the testing? And, what is involved with testing--does it take long? I have OnStar and it says vehicles with operating data monitoring systems must be disconnected, and I have to do it, the stations won't.

I've never had to have a car emission tested before, so I don't know what to expect. My county in Colorado was exempt, so this is all new. What happens if you can't get it done before your license plate expires? Any advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,152,884 times
Sorry, you must go to the designated facilities. California was like Colorado when I lived there - lots of private businesses could do emissions testing. Looks like there are only three locations in Tucson: Faster Emissions Testing! Arizona Department of Environmental Quality It's a super fast process, though! The website will tell you about peak days and times, and you can even see current wait times. Honestly, the wait is brief, and the testing itself takes less than ten minutes.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:16 PM

944 posts, read 1,279,005 times
Yep Marcy, Prince and I-10 is the closest one to us!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Yep Marcy, Prince and I-10 is the closest one to us!
Glad it's a fairly easy process. Does it have to be done every year?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 AM

13,855 posts, read 16,490,669 times
No, every other year.

Here's their website. http://www.myazcar.com/ I'd never heard that something like OnStar has to be disconnected, but it looks like you may be right. Maybe you can get some assistance with the correct way to do that from a local dealer for your make of vehicle.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:24 AM

Thanks, Observer. The wording on the insert with my registration renewal says: "If you participate in your insurance program that monitors your vehicle's operating data, be aware that you must remove the "Data Logger" from your vehicle's Data Link Connector; which is the vehicle's computer connector. Emissions personnel will not remove or return data logger to the data link connector."

I'm not sure what that is, exactly, but since I get an online monthly Vehicle Diagnostic report from Onstar, via an onboard computer that monitors everything from mileage, to oil pressure and oil life, tire pressure, etc., I was wondering if that would be a "Data Logger". I'll check the website and the dealer...

Old 08-04-2012, 06:18 AM

202 posts, read 216,482 times
No, Onstar is not hooked into the OBD-II port. Devices like Progressive's Snapshot program are - they physically plug into the port and transmit data but then are eventually removed and returned to Progressive. Onstar monitors the same data channels through a complete separate interface and will not block access to the port for the emissions testing equipment.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 AM

81 posts, read 88,601 times
I had the Progressive module plugged in when I went for testing. They not only did not unplug it to provide access to their equipment, but didn't even mention it to me. The report said OBD not ready. It wasn't until the next day that it dawned on me what the problem was. I unplugged it and then spent another 45 mins in line to retest. I think it would have been nice if Progressive would have given me a heads up and I don't think it would have killed the guys at the testing site to at least mention it to me.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:22 AM

13,855 posts, read 16,490,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
No, Onstar is not hooked into the OBD-II port. Devices like Progressive's Snapshot program are - they physically plug into the port and transmit data but then are eventually removed and returned to Progressive. Onstar monitors the same data channels through a complete separate interface and will not block access to the port for the emissions testing equipment.

There you go. Thanks, Tom.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 AM

Thanks, Tom!! That's a big help to know this...appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson