Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:11 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times

Advertisements

I need a new ceiling fixture in my kitchen. It has begun being selective as to when it will turn on and stay on, so I replaced the switch, but that's not it. It is just me and my son (who is 23 and not very handy yet), and I'm wondering if it is wiser, better, less expensive to buy a fixture at a Big Box store and have an electrician install it, or to go to a lighting store, buy the fixture and have them (if they do) install it. The current fixture is a 4 bulb flourescent with a diffuser on a 15' ceiling...

Does anyone know of any lighting stores? I'm in OV, so I'd prefer something on this side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 10:35 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Since this will probably be one of those "once in a lifetime" type of projects, Marcy . . . I'd go with the Lighting Store and get it right the first time.

Over the years I've had good luck (lamp rewiring as well as specialty fixtures and ceiling fans) with NorthSide Lighting at First and Fort Lowell. Not Oro Valley but definitely convenient enough. They've been around for many years while the "Orange Apron" guy has probably only been around a few weeks, if that.

NorthSide Lighting in Tucson AZ - Ceiling Fans and Outdoor Lighting in Tucson Arizona

Good Luck

Old 08-19-2012, 11:25 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,035 times
When I redecorated my house I bought fixtures from both HD and Northside Lighting. Was very happy with both, but I did the installations myself. One thing at Northside, don't assume the price on the tag is their best price. I found they had room to negotiate :-) . Like Bummer, would highly recomend them. If you ever want to buy a ceiling fan Northside is great as they can mix and match the different parts of the fan, fan blades, light kit etc. Not just the one standard that comes with each model.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:28 AM

Thank you! Since I'm probably not going to attempt to replace light fixtures myself, I like the idea of working with someone. I've got to get my dreaded emissions test this week, so I will definitely stop by Northside Lighting.

I'd love to replace my ceiling fans, too. So this is good to know, Rick. The previous owners of my place didn't like lighted ceiling fans, and I do, so they are on my to-get list. I like the idea of doing business with someone other than the big box guys.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
I may be off base, but my thoughts are if it's the fixture, (ie if a ballast is on it's way out), an installer could easily change it out for something new. However, if there is a problem with the wiring, it may require an electrician.

We just bought two wall sconces, to replace existing ones which are hard-wired, and got a steal of a deal at overstock.com. We were able to do the change-out ourselves though. The time delay from ordering to receiving the sconces was just three days and we didn't upgrade their regular shipping.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,730 times
I would put money on this being a bulb or ballast issue. If you haven't looked at the bulb lately (and with 15' ceilings I bet you don't go up there a lot) I would see if they are dark on the ends. If so, I would replace them first. If they are new and/or in good condition then it is probably the ballast (or even the starters if it has them). Changing it vs repairing it is up to you and if you are looking for a good excuse to replace it you may not want to think about this any further.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 AM

There isn't a starter (from what I'm told), and I'm not sure it's bulbs. There's an opaque, white diffuser, so I can't see the ends of the bulbs, but I know there are four 48" flourescent tube bulbs. It's a typical tract-house ceiling (cheap) fixture. When it does decide to work, I'm pretty sure the bulbs light. The fixture is picky and mostly won't turn on, but occasionally it will play nice and work. So, ballast is a good bet. Being that it's a cheap, tract house ceiling fixture, is it worth replacing the ballast, or would it be worth it to replace the entire fixture?

However, being only 5'4", I'd need a 9' ladder at least, and I am not going to climb 10+ feet up on a ladder to investigate the bulbs and/or remove and replace a ballast.

Last edited by Marcy1210; 08-21-2012 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I may be off base, but my thoughts are if it's the fixture, (ie if a ballast is on it's way out), an installer could easily change it out for something new. However, if there is a problem with the wiring, it may require an electrician.

We just bought two wall sconces, to replace existing ones which are hard-wired, and got a steal of a deal at overstock.com. We were able to do the change-out ourselves though. The time delay from ordering to receiving the sconces was just three days and we didn't upgrade their regular shipping.
Would an electrician replace a fixture if I bought one I liked--I provided it, and he provided the labor? I'm wondering if that would be less expensive than buying a fixture at a place like North Side Lighting and having them install it.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 AM

136 posts, read 261,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Would an electrician replace a fixture if I bought one I liked--I provided it, and he provided the labor? I'm wondering if that would be less expensive than buying a fixture at a place like North Side Lighting and having them install it.

I'm sure they would but, swapping out a fixture is very straight forward and doesn't really require an electrician. I've replaced many and it isn't very difficult. I'd suggest asking a "handyman", either a friend or maybe someone on Craigslist or a local paper.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM

628 posts, read 1,315,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
There isn't a starter (from what I'm told), and I'm not sure it's bulbs. There's an opaque, white diffuser, so I can't see the ends of the bulbs, but I know there are four 48" flourescent tube bulbs. It's a typical tract-house ceiling (cheap) fixture. When it does decide to work, I'm pretty sure the bulbs light. The fixture is picky and mostly won't turn on, but occasionally it will play nice and work. So, ballast is a good bet. Being that it's a cheap, tract house ceiling fixture, is it worth replacing the ballast, or would it be worth it to replace the entire fixture?

However, being only 5'4", I'd need a 9' ladder at least, and I am not going to climb 10+ feet up on a ladder to investigate the bulbs and/or remove and replace a ballast.
What you describe is either ballast or bulbs. My bet is the flourescent bulbs are end of life. You can get four 48" bulbs at home depot for about $20.
Have a neighbor or someone with a 10 ft ladder change them out.
Intermittent operation is the same thing I had with my garage lights and new bulbs corrected the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson