Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 02:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times

Advertisements

Hardin Brothers Automotive on North Oracle.
Automotive Service for the Tucson, Ariz. Community

When I was new in Tucson, living in the Northwest suburb, I asked around my workplace for car repair recommendations. Several people I worked with recommended Hardin Brothers, so I went there. I now join those others in highly recommending them. My car was about 10 years old when I first took it there. #1 I needed air conditioner repair, which couldn't wait as far as I was concerned, but I also gave them a list of "I hear this noise" and "this seems weird" problems.

First and foremost, they fixed the air conditioner very inexpensively. They could have ripped me off, but they didn't. I could tell the fan wasn't broken but had they told me something else drastic I wouldn't have been in a position to argue. Instead, they made a minor repair and five years later it's still working like a charm. They addressed everything else on my checklist with specific recommendations. A couple of things they recommended being done that I immediately approved; they also were reasonable in terms of price. Two other things they explained but said would be expensive to fix. But both were more minor annoyances than real problems. They said they COULD fix them, but did I really want to spend that kind of money on a ten year old car? My choice. Needless to say, my choice was, "I'll live with that noise" and to this day, everything's been fine. Since then, I've gone up there for two other repairs, both reasonably priced and to my satisfaction.

For every-day maintenance, oil changes and such, I go to Brake Masters (not Max, where I had a bad experience at the one in Oro Valley) because it's close to my house and I have developed a good relationship with Daniel, the manager there (store #159). It's the one on the north side of Ina Road at the intersection of N. Meredith Boulevard (just east of Thornydale). But if I have anything I suspect is major and/or mechanical, I go back to Hardin Brothers. And just for the record, I get tires at Discount Tire, also on Ina, the one just east of Shannon. They've been great.

Hardin Brothers is pretty far north on Oracle. Since it's past Golder Ranch Road I think that puts it in Catalina. It's on the opposite side of the street from Bub's Grub Barbecue just a shade farther up the road. But personally, I think the trip is worth it for mechanics who seem knowledgeable and honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 10:13 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Thanks everyone for all the reviews and recommendations. They will come in handy.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:44 AM

41 posts, read 79,401 times
Try Krone's on 22nd. They can work on anything and shoot you straight. You deal directly with the owner most of the time.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:42 PM

46 posts, read 44,289 times
Default Mechanics East Tucson?

Okay, another request for an update/different part of Tucson. We're moving by the end of August to join my husband who begins his new job at the beginning of the month. We'll be closer to East Tucson--central east, if there is such a thing, and we are nursing along two quite old cars. I hate car payments, so we intend to drive them until they just won't move any longer. ;-> As a result, we are always fixing something (still way less expensive than a car payment).

AZFLHigh, I will check out Krone's--thanks! Any other recommendations out there?

Any recommendations for honest, reliable mechanics out in that general area? I know they are like gold, so I thought I'd better start asking now.

Oh--and we have AAA car insurance. Is anyone thrilled with their car insurance or are they all about the same?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-25-2015, 01:10 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Try Vince's Automotive Repair, might not be the most convenient but they were always the cheapest and did good work. I had them do some of my fleets and my personal vehicles and would always recommend a small local shop over a chain.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:14 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor B View Post
Oh--and we have AAA car insurance. Is anyone thrilled with their car insurance or are they all about the same?

Thanks in advance!
Not much help with an Eastside Car Repair Shop, Professor B . . .

However, I've had AAA Insurance for years . . . every once in awhile I shop around for better and/or less expensive and always stick with AAA. Their quality of service is excellent and it is nice to be able to sit down and discuss both Vehicle and Home Insurance Coverage and Prices with a knowledgeable agent.

Good Luck

Old 07-30-2015, 10:32 PM

46 posts, read 44,289 times
Thanks, JGMotorsport64 and Bummer!

I'll check out Vince's--it's great to hear from someone who has used them extensively.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:08 PM

58 posts, read 143,483 times
Whenever I see someone asking for mechanic recommendations, I just have to pop in and talk up Jay Bee's at 5070 E 22nd. When I first moved here I needed a mechanic to figure out and solve my lit-up "check engine" light so that I could license my car. Jay Bee's not only fixed the problem, but they drove me to and from home while they did it and finished the job in time for me to make a doctor's appointment that they knew was important. And the bill was VERY reasonable to boot. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Check out their Yelp reviews. Very highly thought of.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:42 AM

21 posts, read 90,692 times
Montgomery Automotive, 4718 N Flowing Wells Rd, Tucson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson