Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 PM

21 posts, read 131,212 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to retire to Tuscon in the late fall, hoping to slowly acclimate to the climate and culminating in our first introduction to a Tucson summer. We have been to Tucson on numerous occasions, and we love the culture, landscape, architecture, food, art and the city of Tucson itself with its varied neighborhoods. We have finally decided on the far east side of Tucson near Harrison and Speedway. Our biggest fear, and I mean fear, is the relentless heat of a Tucson summer. How do you Tucsonians handle the heat day after day? We are not foreigners to long heat spells coming from Boise where you can have summer temps over 90 degrees for 3 solid months. But 100+ for the same period of time, perhaps longer? Tell me your secrets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 PM

339 posts, read 832,464 times
LOL! AC, water and go out only in early morning or late evening after 5 pm. Adapting to extreme heat is like adapting to extreme cold, you learn to schedule your business during the coolest parts of the day, and stay inside under AC. It's no different than staying inside during the coldest parts of the day up north or not going out at all during a blizzard in winter. The other 9 months of the year is wonderful.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 PM

484 posts, read 969,823 times
I actually advocate a swamp cooler over AC. If you get used to AC inside, then going outside is more of a shock to the system. A swamp cooler will also add humidity to the air.

But some people just don’t like the heat. I hope you like hot weather if you more here. There is just no way around it, it is hot in the summer. So no secret, we just enjoy everything here and find complaining, well, useless.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 AM

205 posts, read 729,484 times
We deliberately chose the middle of June to make our first visit to Tucson, figured why not see it at its worse. Yes, there were 108 degree days and yes, 108 is HOT regardless of the humidity. However, the lack of humidity and the quality of the air make a huge difference in your tolerance for it, IMHO. From the DC area where we have high humidity, high temps and terrible air quality (comparatively). I did more outside in 108 degrees in Tucson then I would do in DC in 90 degrees. Lots of water, before, during and after, hats, sunscreen, light clothing (100% cotton if possible) and frequent breaks and you'll be fine.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM

38 posts, read 91,566 times
Swamp cooler works great until monsoons hit, then you're just adding mugginess to your already humid house. Those homes equipped with both do the best on saving electricity, and keeping the house cool all year long.

Tucson is certainly a lot more "doable" heat wise than Phoenix. I can't handle the extra 5-10 degrees that they experience. It's also the reason I live on the East side than the Northwest. It's just a few degrees cooler here in Vail

Like tom4416 said, 108 is HOT but that is before the monsoons come in and its piercing to be directly in it but it always cools off at night. However, the end of August in the height of heat and humidity, it will be horrible. But 9 months of the year weather is not a problem.

I'm young, but I have problems with cold and jet streams making my bones ache. When I have lived in other places I hurt more than when I live in Arizona.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 PM

135 posts, read 341,940 times
If you really want to enjoy the heat - as opposed to just surviving it - make sure you have a pool (personal or community), a shady patio and misters. AC is a must, too. You'll adapt.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM

434 posts, read 552,082 times
Come up to northern Minnesota in the winter after a summer in Tucson. Then see which is worse.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,683,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
Come up to northern Minnesota in the winter after a summer in Tucson. Then see which is worse.
Great response, Dr. Drew.

Summers in Northern Minnesota are no "piece of cake" either, especially when you factor in those humongous Mosquitos the size of small cats.

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 PM

434 posts, read 552,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Great response, Dr. Drew.

Summers in Northern Minnesota are no "piece of cake" either, especially when you factor in those humongous Mosquitos the size of small cats.

! ! ! ! ! !
I have to put on 25 extra pounds of winter clothes in January and February just so i don't freeze to death on my way out to start the car.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:15 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,328 times
My brother was in the Air Force during the Gulf War (1st) stationed in Kuwait. It would get in excess of 120 degrees, and he acclimated. But, when he returned to Hill AFB Utah, he would freeze if the temps got below 80 degrees. It took him months to re-adjust to "normal" temperatures.

After you've been here for a summer, and a mild winter, you begin to adjust to the heat. I get cold when I go back to Denver in the summer. Sitting on the patio in the evening when it's 70 degrees feels like winter to me! My family thinks I'm nuts when I want a coat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson