U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM

858 posts, read 760,910 times
Default Trick or Treating in Tucson

How big is T-or-T in NW Tucson / Marana / Oro Valley? My neighborhood has lots of houses close together and nice wide sidewalks. In my mind, that's a Halloween goldmine! But when I lived in West Texas I found that the culture of the area was very Christian & very anti-Halloween -- lots of churches doing Trunk or Treat and not a single Trick or Treater in the neighborhood. I'm not sure what to expect in Tucson. The decision of how much candy to buy here has been a tough one... although the idea of lots of leftover candy has its own appeal.

How popular is T-or-T in your neighborhood and how much candy do you buy?

Are there town-defined days/times for T-or-T or is it traditionally on Halloween night, regardless of the day of the week it happens to fall on?

Any other tips for a newcomer? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 AM

2,548 posts, read 843,800 times
Probably depends on how many kids are in the neighborhood. I live in a 159 home subdivison where almost everyone is over 50 and only a couple of kids. People tend to turn off the light and not answer doors. When I took grandkids out we only went to houses that had halloween lights or pumpkins outside. Waste of time going to other houses.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 PM

3,414 posts, read 4,845,374 times
if you have kids that really want to do it, you may want to think about driving down to the very-popular-for-Halloween Winterhaven neighborhood....north of Ft Lowell and east of Country Club - enter off Ft Lowell....park in a church lot or similar along Ft L.....this is the same 'hood with famous Xmas lighting....

there's not much Christian influence over here in liberal Tucson!....it's just that very few kids go out in most areas....church parties and other organized groups do stuff for safety and all that....

look in the paper or online for what may be happening in your area or ask around

Old 10-23-2012, 05:39 PM

7,886 posts, read 15,632,271 times
Since relocating to Tucson back in the late 90's, each year I have purchased a bunch of candy for the little chits and there's usually only one or two max, sometimes none showing up. Since I end up eating most of the left-overs, I now only buy my favorites.

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 AM

65 posts, read 135,100 times
My neighborhood is in SE Tucson and we always have a ton of kids. We do have sidewalks and the houses are close together.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 PM

205 posts, read 119,630 times
This will be my first Halloween in Tucson! I am in the NW area (Marana to be exact). I have noticed that most of the population are older, retired folks. I do see some young families with kids, but not much. That being said, I do have a bag of yummy candy just in case - though unless I ask the few that do come knocking at my door to take a handful, my husband and I will probably end up eating most of it.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:03 PM

35 posts, read 25,426 times
I am new here, too. Back home (Maine) we'd get hundreds of kids at our door. We lived in a nice neighborhood that folks elsewhere in our tiny (pop. 6,700) city and beyond knew was safe. Parents would drive their kids there just for the candy! We'd have fun seeing all the wonderful costumes.

Here in Tucson I hung a decoration in the window and bought some candy in case the kids in the apartment complex go trick-or-treating. I, too, will be prepared to eat whatever doesn't get handed out. (But I will keep it buried in the freezer to avoid easy temptation!)

Old 10-31-2012, 03:42 PM

56 posts, read 56,637 times
My wife and I have plenty of candy left over. Our community is in the extended Southwest near 3 Points. The houses are widely spaced. We have just a few TorTers. So, I get the stuff we like and give out handfuls to the treaters that do show up.

Keith
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson