Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,484 times

Advertisements

So I see on the news that we should protect our plants tomorrow night and Sunday night due to freezing. Does that include cacti and what do you do to protect your cacti?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 12:45 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
No, not cactus. They're talking about flowers and veggies. Most native plants are acclimated. It's the delicate, leafy, blooming plants that need protecting. If you have vegetables or flowers that might freeze, you can cover them with sheets, tarps or blankets; just be careful not to break the plants with the weight of a blanket. If they're in moveable containers, bring them up against the house. The reflective heat will keep them warm enough.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,484 times
Thanks, Marcy! All I have in my yard are desert plants. Nothing leafy or blooming. Glad to hear it won't affect the cacti.

I haven't moved in yet, but I was at the house today wrapping outside water spigots with towels. I went to Home Depot to look for outside spigot covers. This is usually a standard item at Home Depot and I bought them every year in TN, but I guess they're not used in Arizona, because none of the employees knew what I was talking about.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:58 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,921 times
A hard freeze like what we had in Feb. 2010 killed tons of non-native landscaped and potted cacti around Tucson. It would be wise to cover them, or at least the tips, when it drops into the 20s.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
When it's really cold people often protect the tops of the cactus arms. I guess because it's the new growth? I don't have any big specimens in my yard, but a couple of my neighbors who do put kids' knit caps on them. When it's holiday time, one neighbor uses little Santa hats. I guess it works and is a lot less trouble than trying to wrap them.

This time of year when we have individual nights of cold weather that might not last, I cover my potted plants with an old sheet. Fitted sheets are especially good because they're easier to fit over multiple pots and you can just tuck them under the pots. If I have to use a flat sheet, I hold it down on the corners with bricks. When it gets cold for longer lengths of time, I pull the pots to the covered patio up against the house where they get some heat. If frost is predicted I cover them. A couple of winters since I've been here were mild enough that I kept potted plants alive all winter by doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson