U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 PM

205 posts, read 438,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Have a licence to carry a gun? If not, you should get one. It really decreases your chance of being a victim.
Do not need a license to carry in Arizona. Residents and Non-Residents can legally carry concealed in the state of Arizona without a CCW permit. Although if you do get one, the state allows for a few extra carry privileges.

@tom4416 - I can agree with you to a certain extent. 90% sounds like a hefty number. The natural reaction can be one of two things. Fight or Flight. High stress situations to one person will not for certain be a high stress situation to the next person.

Plus just having the firearm will deter many people from attempting any kind of crime, without having to actually pull the trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 10,404 times
Thanks for all the replys.
Any other advise?
I suspect filing a police report is worthless

Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM

205 posts, read 438,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigniggy View Post
Thanks for all the replys.
Any other advise?
I suspect filing a police report is worthless
Make sure you have full coverage insurance on your vehicle and property. That will at least help with that aspect incase anything bad does happen.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 AM

460 posts, read 1,056,534 times
tigniggy...didn't you follow up to say these guys live in the apartment complex? Of course they pulled in behind you if they live there too? If they made no threats and said nothing to you, perhaps they thought you were the odd one for staring at them? Sounds like a big misunderstanding to me. If nothing has happened by now, it probably won't.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,497,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting, Tigniggy . . . "I hate Tucson"

By any chance are you of the opinion and/or implying this type of behavior is a Tucson thing or exclusive only to Tucson?

If so, I'd hate to rain on your parade but . . .

^^^ That.

I also find the following somewhat problematic: "through my rear view window I see two mexican men inside." You see two people through a rear view mirror for a matter of seconds, yet you know their nationality and immediately jump to the conclusion that they might be in a "hispanic gang" even though they are in their thirties? (Most law enforcement agencies peg gang membership at ages 14 to 21.) According to your post, they didn't even get out of their truck. Maybe they thought they recognized your car but when you got out they realized you weren't the person they thought you were. But one of them "made a fist" and "pointed"? Perhaps he had a cramp in his hand. Do you have bumper stickers on your car?

Would you have been "targeted" had you been tailed by two blonde women in a beat-up white truck?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 10,404 times
Point taken...
On the flip side, in the interest of personal safety its usually better to over-assume then underestimate. Breaking down each factor can explain away any such situation, but most/all factors taken as a whole increase the probability that this was an unfriendly encounter.

No bumper stickers on my car and no identifying features besides a license plate so it could easily be mistaken identity. If they were two blonds that had the same suspicious behavior then yes. The whole situation had a very uncomfortable vibe -- regardless of race/sex/etc. I mean, if one of them smiled or drove closer and said "hi neighbor" that would have changed everything.

Anyway, I'm going to write this off as a coincidence, carry protection, and update my insurance. Everyone I talked to said it was a good neighborhood so all I can do is wait and see.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:17 AM

28 posts, read 28,719 times
Quote:
I was driving the other day near Wilmot/Grant and a white beat up truck started to tail me. I pull into my apartment complex, through my rear view window I see two mexican men inside ~30 yrs old and one clinches his fist and points it at my car. I park, get out of the car, and notice that they parked about 200 feet away, staring at me. One of them gets on his phone. I call 911, and after talking to the operator they drive off. I didn't cut them off or provoke this behavior...I've never seen them before in my life. What are they doing ? Was I just targeted for something ? I'm scared because they know where I live.
Why don't you carry a sidearm in your vehicle? Quit being a chicken.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 AM

58 posts, read 111,589 times
Quote:
I was driving the other day near Wilmot/Grant and a white beat up truck started to tail me. I pull into my apartment complex, through my rear view window I see two mexican men inside ~30 yrs old and one clinches his fist and points it at my car. I park, get out of the car, and notice that they parked about 200 feet away, staring at me. One of them gets on his phone. I call 911, and after talking to the operator they drive off. I didn't cut them off or provoke this behavior...I've never seen them before in my life. What are they doing ? Was I just targeted for something ? I'm scared because they know where I live.
Wow! Is this a regular problem in AZ? Are there Mexican gangs like there are in CA?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,497,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine88 View Post
Wow! Is this a regular problem in AZ? Are there Mexican gangs like there are in CA?
No this is not a regular problem in Tucson. And if you look at the top of the post, it's a year old and the conversation wasn't continued beyond initial responses, most of which were telling the OP he did exactly the opposite if he should done in any case where he felt threatened and wondering why he thought he was being targeted by a "gang" when he had nothing but his own fear to inform such an assumption.

But, hey, yeah, let's dredge up this old post to advise everyone to carry a sidearm and to instill fear in people who have no experience living here.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 7,021,723 times
I remember reading this last year, and was skeptical of this scenario. First of all, this doesn't happen here, and second, why would the OP drive back to his complex with these guys following him? It didn't make sense to me, but it was quickly dropped, so I didn't think much more about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson