Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,386 times

Advertisements

I was driving the other day near Wilmot/Grant and a white beat up truck started to tail me. I pull into my apartment complex, through my rear view window I see two mexican men inside ~30 yrs old and one clinches his fist and points it at my car. I park, get out of the car, and notice that they parked about 200 feet away, staring at me. One of them gets on his phone. I call 911, and after talking to the operator they drive off. I didn't cut them off or provoke this behavior...I've never seen them before in my life. What are they doing ? Was I just targeted for something ? I'm scared because they know where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 04:35 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
Have a licence to carry a gun? If not, you should get one. It really decreases your chance of being a victim.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
I'm sorry this happened. I wouldn't be happy if it happened to me.

I have to wonder though... If you thought you were being followed, why would you lead them back to your house and why would you get out of your car?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I'm sorry this happened. I wouldn't be happy if it happened to me.

I have to wonder though... If you thought you were being followed, why would you lead them back to your house and why would you get out of your car?
Right. That's exactly what police advise you not to do. Drive to a poiice station, or some other VERY public place, and then call for assistance, or then get out and go where there are lots of people.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:33 AM

205 posts, read 729,514 times
I'm not a huge fan of people carrying weapons as I've seen up close and personal how ineffective 90% of the population is with a firearm during times of high stress. Plinking targets on the range is a whole lot different than pulling your weapon on a fellow human. Even cops who train constantly often can't hit a suspect that is less than twenty feet in front of them because of the adrenalin rush. Much better, IMHO, is heightened situational awareness and knowing the proper response (like getting tag numbers and driving to police stations instead of home).

If you want to carry, then take some intensive training and practice, practice, practice. Not remembering how to release a safety during a conflict insures the weapon is worthless and has now made you fair game to the criminal who probably did remember to release the safety. Until every aspect of handling a weapon becomes second nature, requiring no thought, it's essentially more of a liability than an asset. Just because a state has very liberal carry laws doesn't mean the average citizens should be walking around armed. I fire 5000 rounds a year through my primary weapon and thousands more through various sportsman guns I own. I can field strip and clean my pistol in the dark and still doubt my ability to react rationally in a true life or death situation (which is exactly what you create the instant you draw your weapon).

Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Seems pretty strange unless it was at night and they mistook you for someone else. Wilmot and Grant seems like its a pretty good part of town. Anything can happen late at night and race doesnt matter. There are night people and there are day people. If you go to bed early you probably dont realize Tucson in some neighborhoods has a completely different life.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,338 times
Perhaps you were about to be robbed or carjacked. I doubt they will come back, as the opportunity has passed.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:49 AM

It happened in broad daylight. I thought they were just tailing me and didn't realize they were pointing/targeting me until I was puling into my apartment while I glanced in my rear view mirror. I got out of the car because I had a handsaw in the trunk which I couldn't get to if I was inside the car.

Anyway, I do have a gun and plan to install an alarm in my apartment.

The increasingly bad news is that I think they live in the same apartment complex so I can be a target anytime. I hate Tucson.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigniggy View Post
It happened in broad daylight. I thought they were just tailing me and didn't realize they were pointing/targeting me until I was puling into my apartment while I glanced in my rear view mirror. I got out of the car because I had a handsaw in the trunk which I couldn't get to if I was inside the car.

Anyway, I do have a gun and plan to install an alarm in my apartment.

The increasingly bad news is that I think they live in the same apartment complex so I can be a target anytime. I hate Tucson.
Interesting, Tigniggy . . . "I hate Tucson"

By any chance are you of the opinion and/or implying this type of behavior is a Tucson thing or exclusive only to Tucson?

If so, I'd hate to rain on your parade but . . .

Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 AM

Bummer: I'm not implying anything. Just stating a fact. I've been here 4 years and compared to where I've lived before, this behavior much more common in Tucson and it's spread out all over the city (less so far north in Oro Valley etc), and not just concentrated to a few high crime areas. Maybe its time to move to Oro Valley ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson