Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:32 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times

Advertisements

I traded in my 2007 luxury car that had less then 20K miles on it, and was in near new condition for a new Chevy Traverse. [mod cut-- consumer complaints not allowed]

I've never bought a car in my life (hubby always did that), so I didn't really know what to expect. The salesman was absolutely wonderful, low key, and extremely nice; especially since I knew exactly what car I wanted after months of online search, reviews and comparisons. However, the financing guys and those who tried to sell me almost $20K worth of add-ons like window tinting, paint sealing, more expensive hub caps, Scotch-guarding the seats, sealing the dash, undercoating, and more, were relentless and unpleasant to deal with. I realize that with my trade, the new car was almost an across the board deal, but these guys (actually brothers) were so hard sell and pushy, I was getting angry. Then they kept telling me that I needed to praise them on my Chevy survey (when I get it) as their jobs depended upon a good review from me. They kept reminding me to give them a perfect rating.

Also, they tried to knock $10K off the original trade in appraisal their appraisal guy did on my car because the Carfax had issues. It was all accurate except that the actual mileage on the car was less than what the Title stated it was. They claimed this would be a major problem for any dealer and it would make it extremely difficult to sell my car to someone else when there was a Carfax issue. (In 2010, when I transferred title from CO to AZ, the MDV clerk asked me the approximate mileage of the car. I didn't know for sure how much it was, so I guessed.) It turned out the actual mileage on the car was about 1500 less than what the title said because I'd estimated. They made me write out (in my own handwriting on legal paper) an affadavit saying I didn't rollback the odometer, and that my mileage on the title was just an estimate at the time of registration in 2010. They finally gave me close to Blue Book in trade, but it was a really awful experience.

Long story for a quick question: I don't want to go back for service (or anything else, ever). I LOVED Royal for service on my old car. Is it possible to get warranty service performed through Royal even though they didn't sell me the car and don't sell Chevy's?

Last edited by observer53; 01-30-2013 at 05:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM

461 posts, read 1,314,086 times
If Royal is not an authorized Chevy dealer/repair place, then no. Sorry You could always take it to another Chevy location for service/repairs though.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM

444 posts, read 1,352,007 times
Upsell is what they do. That's how they make their money. Can't really fault them for that. Why buy from them if they make you angry? Just leave.

I bought a new car a few years ago from a dealership in Scottsdale (which has now closed). I desperately wanted a manual transmission, which is really hard to find on the model I have, and the car they had had all the features I wanted otherwise. I spent something like 3 hours there between the ridiculous negotiation, extended warranty push and silly pretty girl presentation they did. End of the day, I never went back there and I sent back a terrible survey. That's why they're sent out.

There are a couple of other Chevy/GM dealerships in Tucson. You have to go to a place that's certified to work on GM cars if it's recall or warranty work. That's just how it works. Not sure if you can go to Random Grease Monkey down the street or not. You can call around.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:03 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Damn shame, Marcy . . . I hate that type of sales BS.

Not certain but I would think Royal could do GM Warranty work on a Chevrolet, however, it would probably be completely up to Royal's Service Manager.

Just an FYI . . . I have been using Watson's Service Department for many years and they are excellent, in fact, much better than any Dealer Service Department I have ever experienced.
Holler if you want a name or two in Service.

Last edited by observer53; 01-30-2013 at 05:05 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Damn shame, Marcy . . . I hate that type of sales BS.

Not certain but I would think Royal could do GM Warranty work on a Chevrolet, however, it would probably be completely up to Royal's Service Manager.

Just an FYI . . . I have been using Watson's Service Department for many years and they are excellent, in fact, much better than any Dealer Service Department I have ever experienced. Nothing like the fiasco you described with their Sales Department.

Holler if you want a name or two in Service.
Actually there's a GM policy regarding distance from the original dealer for warranty work. I'm pretty sure the dealer you go to has to be at least "xx" miles away - in order to get reimbursed by GM. If you're more than a certain distance away, then GM considers it an "emergency" repair, and any GM dealer can get reimbursed for the work.

I would call the guys at Royal and ask.. and there's nothing stopping you from getting your oil-changes, brakes, tires, wipers, etc at any place you choose.

I like the guys at Royal too.. I actually drove my wife's Buick down there from Phoenix for it's last recall repair.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 PM

205 posts, read 572,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Actually there's a GM policy regarding distance from the original dealer for warranty work. I'm pretty sure the dealer you go to has to be at least "xx" miles away - in order to get reimbursed by GM. If you're more than a certain distance away, then GM considers it an "emergency" repair, and any GM dealer can get reimbursed for the work.
That is a little inaccurate. I work for a dealership.

If you purchase a GM vehicle, lets say Chevrolet since that was the OP bought. You are free to go to any Certified/Authorized Chevrolet Service Center. There is no clause that says you must go to a certain dealer, or stay within so many miles from the selling dealer.

zippy, when GM refers to an "Emergency" repair they are talking about non-authorized Chevrolet Service Centers. This could be a midas, sears, general repair facility etc.... Under emergency circumstances, you can take the vehicle to these facilities, and have the vehicle repaired if its something they can do. You will be responsible to pay the bill, ask for the parts back that need to be replaced, then you will have to go to either go to a dealership and talk with an advisor or service manager or call the Chevrolet Consumer Affairs number. Tell them what happened and they will ask for a copy of the invoice, possible ask for the part etc etc, and they will issue you credit via check. In some cases the dealership will contact their local district rep and the dealer can cut you a check on the spot and then the Manufacturer will reimburse the dealer.

I hope this helps clarify anything.

They want you to go to a dealer that makes you happy, is convenient for you and a place you enjoy. They would rather you go to a dealer 100 miles away than a non-dealer 2 miles away.

Directly from the GM Warranty Information on their website:

Q. Can I take my Chevrolet to any GM dealership for warranty repairs?
A. These repairs must be performed by an Authorized Chevrolet dealer, except in an emergency situation when a covered part or a Chevrolet dealer is not reasonably available to the vehicle owner. It’s in your best interest to take your Chevrolet vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer for all repairs since they are the most knowledgeable about the particulars of your vehicle.

Q. If my selling dealership is still in business but no longer carries the brand that I bought from them, can I continue to have my warranty work done at this dealership? A. If your selling dealership still maintains other GM brands and believes it still has the proper tools and expertise to fix your vehicle, and if you feel you would be seriously inconvenienced by going to another dealership that carries your vehicle brand, you can continue to have warranty work done at your selling dealership.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,035 times
Here is my favorite website to deal with these types of businesses/issues. The Arizona Corporation Commission
In the search box type in [mod edit] name of business, click on the link and viola! It will give you the names and mailing addresses of corporate officers, and in this case the owner! Send them a letter pretty much like what you posted, complimenting the sales staff, but letting them know how you really feel about the finance department. It's a shame that a great job by the sales department is undermined by high pressure finance department. Be sure and let them know you are relaying your unpleasant experience on social media sites. May not change anything but at least you tried, but if no one ever complains they may not ever know how things really are working at the customer level. It is a high pressure brutal sales business. As mentioned before, upselling is part of their job, but their techniques shouldn't be to the level of harrassment/intimidation that this appeared to be to where they have lost you as a customer. Even when you buy cash they still try to upsell you on everything. I even had one guy try to talk me out of paying cash and financing though them.

Last edited by observer53; 01-30-2013 at 05:07 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Here is my favorite website to deal with these types of businesses/issues. The Arizona Corporation Commission
In the search box type in [mod edit- name of business] , click on the link and viola! It will give you the names and mailing addresses of corporate officers, and in this case the owner! Send them a letter pretty much like what you posted, complimenting the sales staff, but letting them know how you really feel about the finance department. It's a shame that a great job by the sales department is undermined by high pressure finance department. Be sure and let them know you are relaying your unpleasant experience on social media sites. May not change anything but at least you tried, but if no one ever complains they may not ever know how things really are working at the customer level. It is a high pressure brutal sales business. As mentioned before, upselling is part of their job, but their techniques shouldn't be to the level of harrassment/intmidation that this appeared to be to where they have lost you as a customer. Even when you buy cash they still try to upsell you on everything. I even had one guy try to talk me out of paying cash and financing though them.
Please let me try to talk you into financing through the dealer.

We all know they have to make their money some way. Often they will lower their prices during negotiations and try to "get you" on the other end instead - which is the financing. Do what we do and let them. In fact, if they don't do it on their own, encourage them to do it.

When you get home, simply write out a check for the entire balance and pay it immediately.

You win.

Last edited by observer53; 01-30-2013 at 05:08 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
It was the upselling that I was not expecting, at least not that intensely. I remembered that happening with previous car purchases, but usually my husband would give them a really firm "not interested" and they'd back off, but these guys did not want to take no for an answer. I wasn't prepared for the intensity of the upselling. I am tempted to be honest on my survey as to the upselling. I also want to give the salesman a good review as he was great.

I was ready to walk several times during the negotiations because I knew what I could afford, and the numbers they were putting out there were not working. I also knew they were significantly lowballing me on my trade-in. I had been researching cars for months, so I knew exactly which car I wanted, and I knew the range my trade-in was worth. I knew what options package came with the car, and I knew I didn't need any extras.

As to why I didn't go to [snip] instead~~the online price from [snip] for the exact same car was $1500.00 less.

They did try to talk me out of paying cash and kept saying, "We won't even check your credit" several times, but I didn't want a loan, so I kept saying no. I didn't think to do what CheyDee said...I should have.

The whole experience took about five hours. I got [there] about 1:00 p.m. and was home around 6:30 p.m.

On the upside, my insurance is now $200/yr less and my license tag for a year is $100/yr less.

I honestly hope I never have to buy another car...

Last edited by observer53; 01-30-2013 at 05:10 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Just so you have some additional knowledge on your side, here's the Arizona law about car buying, car dealerships, lemons, etc... https://www.azag.gov/consumer/cars

It's always good to know the auto sales laws in the state where you buy the car. And it's also good to go with someone else. I always have a friend - usually male - come with me. I have noticed I'm treated better when I'm not a lone female trying to buy a car.

And - every time I go in to buy a car, i read this a couple of times to get my head in the right space: Confessions of a Car Salesman

You can also use a service - Triple A and Costco have them. Then you tell them what you want and they do the negotiating for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson