U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 01:20 PM

25 posts, read 42,846 times

Advertisements

My husband has received a job offer from 911 Collision in Tucson. The people he has talked to seem very nice and accomodating. Does anyone have any input about the company?
Also we have a family with teenagers is this a good place to relocate them too?
And how is cost of living if your household is making less than 6 figures a year?
Also good places to look for rental housing or condos without congestion high crime areas?

Old 10-20-2007, 05:30 PM

218 posts, read 1,381,511 times
Not knowing Michigan's rental rates, I can't say what the comparison is. I do know that housing market is in a slump here now - so is a buyer's market - Sale prices for homes have come down a lot! For instance, a 3,000 sq.ft. home in Tucson's northwest suburb of Oro Valley can easily got for about $250-300K. Not long ago, that same house would sell for $450-500K. You might do a 6 mos. rental to get a feel for where you want to 'settle' and then seriously look at buying - Regarding teens and decent high school options: Vail School District south of the city is wonderful. In the northwest side, Marana School District is good, and the two northern most high schools of Amphitheater school district (Canyon Del Oro H.S. and Ironwood Ridge H.S.). There are also a few smaller, charter school options and parochial schools as well to choose from that are pretty good. I am partial to the Oro Valley area - there are a lot of nice apartment, townhouse, and condo choices adjacent to Oracle Road in the Oro Valley area north of Hardy Road - close to Canyon Del Oro High School - Welcome to Tucson & Best Wishes to you and your family.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:08 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,566,558 times
My husband's been working for 911 Collision for a few months now, since we relocated. He likes it a lot. He's been in the industry for many years now, and he's definitely happy there. If you need more specific info about them, you could PM me.

As for the area, we are very happy - we are able to afford a house with what sounds like a similar income (but we have no children).

Old 10-22-2007, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 27,432 times
Having lived in both Michigan (Saginaw) and Tucson, I can tell you that when I was there (5 yrs ago), the cost of living was VERY similar between the two locations.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 AM

Thanks to TLoren Day,Mdtoaz & Idaho. All of your different inputs helped alot. It is looking better all the time.
If there is anything to look out for when relocating to the area would you drop me a note?
I really want to get my 15 year old son around a different group and get some outdoor actiivities. He is very athletic and would love to ride his dirt bike more and do some stuff in the mountains. I have just started home schooling him because the kids he is around at school are in trouble all the time.
My husband is set to go out next month to talk about employment and if it goes well we should be moving out there by next spring. YIKES.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 75,433 times
I might be a little late to the game in this post, but since I've been looking at housing prices in different parts of the country (I'm leaving AZ in less than a year), I'd thought I'd weigh in briefly.

My experience in looking for affordable homes is that MI is much more reasonable. There are homes in Michigan that offer 3+ bedrooms and a few acres of land for the mid-$100s. To find place in Tucson with a similar price, you have to go outside the city limits to Rita Ranch, Sahuarita, Marana, or Oro Valley. This means you will have to use I-10 if you need access to Tucson, and good luck dealing with the construction and closed ramps. Or you could stay in the city and buy a one-bedroom, 50-year-old stucco hut that 10 years ago wouldn't have sold for more than $75,000.

Sorry for being a bit negative, but that's been my experience. I do hope that your move to Tucson is a good one.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:20 PM

42,837 posts, read 78,933,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat2004 View Post
There are homes in Michigan that offer 3+ bedrooms and a few acres of land for the mid-$100s.
While this is true, most people still need jobs in order to keep even houses in this price range.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:42 PM

No I appreciate the input. Its just like the post after yours said. The jobs are disappearing and people cant keep up on even a 1500 a month mortgage payment.
My husband doesn't want to wait until we start losing our jobs to relocate. Right now both our jobs, insurance and body work are pretty marketable. So we are crossing are fingers but also scared to death to start alone in a strange state. And are friends are devastated at the fact of leaving them, so its a rock and a hard place with a view situation.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 PM

9,377 posts, read 26,581,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsguido View Post
My husband doesn't want to wait until we start losing our jobs to relocate. Right now both our jobs, insurance and body work are pretty marketable. So we are crossing are fingers but also scared to death to start alone in a strange state. And are friends are devastated at the fact of leaving them, so its a rock and a hard place with a view situation.
I understand exactly how you are feeling, mrsguido,

About ten years ago, I decided ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and relocated to Tucson not knowing a soul plus no job plans whatsoever. It was definitely scary but I can honestly say my only regret is that I did not do it sooner.

There is no perfect place to live but I feel Tucson is as close as I'll ever find.

As for cost comparison . . . there is no comparison if you compare the totals and not individual items. Remember, your 300 to 500 dollar a month heating bills will be almost nonexistent. You'll save considerably on Winter clothes, etc. The list goes on and one.

Take the plunge and GOOD LUCK!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 PM

42,837 posts, read 78,933,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsguido View Post
No I appreciate the input. Its just like the post after yours said. The jobs are disappearing and people cant keep up on even a 1500 a month mortgage payment.
Believe me, I of all people do understand! I'm foreign-born myself and AZ (or the country for that matter) is hardly my ideal place to live, but life happens... Some can afford to change it, some are stuck... that's how the cookie crumbles...

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or