U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 12:10 PM

5,509 posts, read 6,105,178 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite places to visit in Arizona is the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. I had been there a couple of times many years ago during trips to the state and always enjoyed it.

Seven months ago, I finally managed to move to AZ from the east coast. Wound up outside Phoenix due to work. We got down to Tucson to visit the museum a couple of Saturdays ago (after getting stuck in an hour-long traffic jam on I-17 thanks to a jacknifed trailer).

My wife and kids, who had never been there, loved the place too. We are now planning to get a family membership, but I have one question...is the parking always bad on weekends? It quite literally took us over half an hour of driving around the lots to get a spot, the place was so full.

This was the first nice Saturday in a while, and the musuem also had a special event that day, so I'm wondering if that was the cause or if this is the norm now? Our day was shortened considerably by the traffic jam and the parking issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 PM

864 posts, read 2,082,287 times
I've been there a couple of times. Once, and this was during a weekday, the lot was so full we left. If memory serves this was around 11AM. If you get there early you should be fine.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:31 PM

4,723 posts, read 7,027,994 times
We have a Membership, so we go often, and between November and April, the Museum parking lot is jam packed. February and March, especially, are tourist season, (Rodeo, Gem Show, MLB Spring Training in Phoenix, and most schools throughout the West on Spring Break, etc.), plus the Snowbirds, very comfortable weather, and that adds up to an extremely crowded parking lot with a long wait for available spaces.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM

5,509 posts, read 6,105,178 times
Thanks for the feedback. We actually took the drive down this past Saturday, got there about 12:30 and had no trouble finding parking. The overflow lots weren't even open.

It's an awesome place. Got our family membership now so we'll be going back often.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 PM

14,215 posts, read 23,911,047 times
While this will NOT benefit the OP, I would like to call to everyone's attention to a couple of good deals. To the locals, you are probably aware.

The Southern Arizona Attraction Alliance offers a discount book to many of the best attractions in Tucson for $18. It includes a 2 for 1 admission at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (worth up to $14.50 alone). If you do two or three of the attractions, you are ahead.
2012-13 Tucson Passport Price: $18.00 | Southern Arizona Attractions Alliance

Also, if you join the Reid Park Zoo in Tucson, you get significant discounts at many zoos in North America through the Associations of Zoos and Aquariums. (The Desert Museum does NOT participate in this program.
http://www.aza.org/uploadedFiles/Edu...art%202013.pdf

I hope that helps someone

Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 AM

833 posts, read 1,434,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
While this will NOT benefit the OP, I would like to call to everyone's attention to a couple of good deals. To the locals, you are probably aware.

The Southern Arizona Attraction Alliance offers a discount book to many of the best attractions in Tucson for $18. It includes a 2 for 1 admission at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (worth up to $14.50 alone). If you do two or three of the attractions, you are ahead.
2012-13 Tucson Passport Price: $18.00 | Southern Arizona Attractions Alliance

Also, if you join the Reid Park Zoo in Tucson, you get significant discounts at many zoos in North America through the Associations of Zoos and Aquariums. (The Desert Museum does NOT participate in this program.
http://www.aza.org/uploadedFiles/Edu...art%202013.pdf

I hope that helps someone
I didn't know about those - thanks for the links!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson