U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 05:30 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,642,977 times

Advertisements

My views on Tucson is mix well that may be not being there long enough to get good feel of the city.

My views on Tucson is strange city feel.

1. There seems to be alot of different architecture of buildings ,stores and homes so on.

2 Streets well seem narrow and building more at street level than most desert cities , yes Phoenix and Las Vegas has some of this but they took down way to many buildings building big 3 lanes roads and pulling building back in bigger parking lot.

3.Tucson seem more of dense city for the type line of automobile ownership

4.Well seen lot more homeless and questionable people.

Also Tucson seem more of laid back liberal city than say Phoenix even people seems to dress more casual in Tucson than Phoenix.

In some areas it feels safe and other areas not.I find Tucson is bit of strange feel.

I'm sure people that been there many times or been there longer can say more on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 05:35 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,720,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
My views on Tucson is mix well that may be not being there long enough to get good feel of the city.

1. There seems to be alot of different architecture of buildings ,stores and homes so on.

2 Streets well seem narrow and building more at street level than most desert cities , yes Phoenix and Las Vegas has some of this but they took down way to many buildings building big 3 lanes roads and pulling building back in bigger parking lot.

Also Tucson seem more of laid back liberal city than say Phoenix even people seems to dress more casual in Tucson than Phoenix.

In some areas it feels safe and other areas not.I find Tucson is bit of strange feel.

I'm sure people that been there many times or been there longer can say more on this.
The title of your thread says "some facts" about Tucson. Which parts of your post represent the facts?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM

39 posts, read 64,804 times
I always appreciate perspectives and/or observations made...but I had difficulty following your tangental writing style. I know this is the 'let's-txt-and-abbrv-evrthng' era, but some sentence structure and punctuation would help tremendously. Thank you for tolerating my observation.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 AM

952 posts, read 1,072,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post

1.) Tucson is more of a "quirky" city than many of the other desert cities and those "quirks" allow for the mis-mash of architectural styles.

2.) Tucson has an all around "older" feel to it and there are more efforts for historical preservation than there are in other large desert cities. Also, NIMBYs are more prevalent in Tucson which is why the narrow streets exist there whereas in Phoenix and Las Vegas the streets were widened and anything in the way of the widening was demolished.

3.) The "density" in Tucson (especially in the central city) can be attributed to the fact that the freeway system is pretty much useless for most cross town travel in the older parts of the city. Therefore, development is denser. However, development along the freeway in Marana, Rita Ranch, and Vail is allowing the city to become a bit more spread out.

4.) Homeless and "questionable" people will be found anywhere one can live without freezing to death. It's one of the reasons LA has such a large homeless population.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:10 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,642,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
1.) Tucson is more of a "quirky" city than many of the other desert cities and those "quirks" allow for the mis-mash of architectural styles.

2.) Tucson has an all around "older" feel to it and there are more efforts for historical preservation than there are in other large desert cities. Also, NIMBYs are more prevalent in Tucson which is why the narrow streets exist there whereas in Phoenix and Las Vegas the streets were widened and anything in the way of the widening was demolished.

3.) The "density" in Tucson (especially in the central city) can be attributed to the fact that the freeway system is pretty much useless for most cross town travel in the older parts of the city. Therefore, development is denser. However, development along the freeway in Marana, Rita Ranch, and Vail is allowing the city to become a bit more spread out.

4.) Homeless and "questionable" people will be found anywhere one can live without freezing to death. It's one of the reasons LA has such a large homeless population.
Your view point is spot on what I seen about Tucson.

I have seen Homeless people and questionable people in Phoenix but seems Tucson has more.Also Tucson seems more laid back liberal city than say Phoenix

It could be way may more people like to hang out in Tucson where Phoenix people like to be in side.

Bit more foot traffic in Tucson than Phoenix.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 AM

10 posts, read 12,908 times
Default relocating from Long Island to Tucson

Hi there,

I'm a physical education teacher, 50 single/straight who is thinking of relocating to continue teaching/ coaching. I enjoy the outdoors as well as cultural aspects of an area. Does anyone have some comments positive/ negative on what I should expect and also what the dating scene is all about. I plan on visiting next month so how should I plan my trip to get a feel of the area and what area's should I look at to live in, via renting the first year? I lived in Phoenix 12 years ago while attending A.S.U. for graduate work so what is the difference between the 2 area's of Tucson and Phoenix ? Thanks for your time and advice !!

jack

Last edited by jack kennedy; 02-27-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 PM

506 posts, read 1,356,529 times
Here are my observations from our visit. We spent most of our time in the west/northwest/north/northeast and east parts of Tucson as well as Oro Valley and Catalina foothills. We only drove through areas in the more central-- I guess you could say inner city areas.

Outside of the "inner city areas" the city is very beautiful, not crowded and the traffic was not to congested--at least to what I am used to here in the Chicago suburbs. We saw a few people that appeared to be homeless. At no time did we feel that any of these areas were unsafe. There was no evidence of gang activity or such.

The "inner city" areas were somewhat different. We saw some graffiti and un-cared for homes and it has a typical kind of dirty look. But nothing unlike any larger city typically has. I don't know that I would want to walk around some areas here at night.

Granted, we did not see any "cheap" homes in the areas that we looked but we weren't looking for those. So there might be same in the low 100K price range. We homes for rent along with quite a few apartment complexes but most looked quite nice. Again, not what I am used to seeing here.

We did notice that in some places it would be difficult to have any kind of party because there isn't much parking available. This is particularly evident in developments where the lots are small. There are quite a few very nice houses built very close to busy roads. So close that you probably wouldn't buy if you had kids.

The people are very friendly in general. We could drive into a cul de sac to look at a house and we had residents say hi as they left for work. Here, they would look at us suspiciously and likely call the police. There were friendly cashiers and store employees. We encountered a very friendly security guard at La Placita Village and we were there after most everything was closed. Here, they would be pushing us to leave. The workers in the hotel in Phoenix and in Tucson that were very friendly. In Phoenix we arrived after 1 AM and the lady at check in was very nice. Here we continually experience people at check in that seem angry that you bothered them that early in the morning. (we flew into Phoenix and drove to Tucson) We had a person at a gas station apologize for making us wait a minute or two to pay for some drinks. Out of our entire stay we did not experience any rudeness.

People in traffic are also courteous. We never heard a horn even though I was a little slow at getting used to the left turn signal after the light. Here, if you don't immediately go when the light changes they are on the horn so this was nice. It is difficult to get use to the arrow after the light. If I had anything negative to say about driving in Tucson this would be it.

I have to say that we did not experience much of anything negative during our stay. I'm sure that when we finally are able to move and live there full time we will find more negative things but for now we haven't seen much.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,720,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack kennedy View Post
Hi there,

I'm a physical education teacher, 50 single/straight who is thinking of relocating to continue teaching/ coaching. I enjoy the outdoors as well as cultural aspects of an area. Does anyone have some comments positive/ negative on what I should expect and also what the dating scene is all about. I plan on visiting next month so how should I plan my trip to get a feel of the area and what area's should I look at to live in, via renting the first year? I lived in Phoenix 12 years ago while attending A.S.U. for graduate work so what is the difference between the 2 area's of Tucson and Phoenix ? Thanks for your time and advice !!

jack
Hi Jack,

You may want to post this as it's own thread, for better visibility. Hopefully someone will see it who could answer your questions.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:16 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,120,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack kennedy View Post
Hi there,

jack
Tucson has a much more "outdoorsy" vibe than Phoenix does and it has held more tenaciously to it's southwestern roots than has Phoenix. Outdoor activity in Tucson is literally out your back door if you live on the edges of town. The Central part of town revolves around the UofA which gives Tucson a college town feel that is lacking in Phoenix because it's so big anymore.

Tucson is pretty similar in terms of feel to Albuquerque if you've ever been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or