Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:41 AM

331 posts, read 561,384 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be retiring soon and am thinking about moving to one of the retirement communities for active adults. For those of you who live in one, do you think I would feel out of place as a single? Everything about the communities appeal to me but I don't want to feel out of place with a lot of couples!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 AM

9,482 posts, read 16,369,891 times
I'm in Sun City West in Northwest Metro Phoenix. Very large community of around 25000 surrounded by other large retirement communities. I am single and I'm sorry to report and this is my review so take it with a grain of salt. Life and backgrounds are different for all of us, as our needs are. With that said. I don't care for this type of living. I do feel they are primarily made for the married couple. Though there are singles it is definitely the minority of the population. I just don't see any diversity of population in these in the Phx area. I can't imagine they are all that different throughtout the USA. Retirement communities seem to attrack a certain type of person. I find them extremely conservative. They lack the diversity of people, mindsets, viewpoints that I need. I can't speak for others but for me they just are not representative of America or all retirees. Its seems at times many of these residents are all clones of one another. As a single man I feel very out of place in this environment.

I have made the best of it here, and there are good points to these communities. I feel very safe here and it is very walkable at least for me. There are numerous shopping areas nearby and its quiet. Its just boring for me at this early stage of retirement. I'm on the younger side of it and most residents here are over 75.

So I have been using my year here that I rented to look elsewhere in Arizona. I'm going to spend the next year and hopefully just decide to retire in Tucson. I will not be retiring in Retirement Communities in Tucson. I don't think I will ever again live in one, unless they represent a more cross section of America. That and the fact I like having some mixed ages around me also.

So in closing for a single person. I think it would take a certain type of single person to live in Retirement Communities. Especially depending on that single person's background, and lifestyle before moving into one. Because much of everything here is geared to couples. Its best to do as I have. Rent for 6 months or a year and really get the feel for them. If you decide its not for you, then you can pack up and leave. You will then know what sadly some homeowners find out. Retirement Communities are not for them, and then they are stuck with a house in one. I know several here where I live that are in that boat. They are married but find that being in their early 60's in one, with everyone over 75 is not for them. If they sold their house they would lose tons of money, so they stay.

Best of luck with your future plans.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:25 PM

Where in Tucson are you going to look? I have the same reservations about the retirement communities but am not sure where else to look in Tucson which is where I want to end up. I also don't want to be in a child-oriented community either (no offense to those with children). I've been trying to do research on the internet (realtor.com).

Old 04-06-2013, 08:29 PM

284 posts, read 696,896 times
I will say upfront that I am married and that I live in an active living retirement community in Mesa. I know a number of single women who live here happily and are involved in many activities. There is a very caring community for recently widowed women. The unhappy widows I know are those that do not get out and about.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,410,738 times
There is an interesting book out.
One strange thing, you got lots of friends till you get sick, than they al move on, probally afraid what wil happen to them in a few years....
Pretty sad place...
Plus, IMHO, a lot of the old people are just not nice....... Get in front of you at the supermarket, knowing you can't say anything about it, they do not look happy, and having worked for a company that delivers pool cleaning supplies, they al pee in the community pool while excercising........

Just get a place between regular folks.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:15 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,453,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
I'm going to be retiring soon and am thinking about moving to one of the retirement communities for active adults. For those of you who live in one, do you think I would feel out of place as a single? Everything about the communities appeal to me but I don't want to feel out of place with a lot of couples!
Which communities have drawn your interest? I'm a single male who once lived in Tucson and who is considering, seriously, moving to Tucson when I retire in several years. I've concentrated most on Green Valley. I have no reservations about relocating as a single person.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 AM

I was interested in Sunflower and Heritage Highlands, both in Marana and both newer.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,537,902 times
Quote:
Definitely no expert on this subject, Suaz, however . . .

I am single and retired at a relatively early age (mid 50's) back in 2004 and decided against any type of "age specific" community. Over the years I have become friends with many married couples living in Retirement Communities and have been invited to a number of social gatherings

So far, after almost ten years, I still feel I made the right decision . . . NOT FOR ME.

Good Luck

Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 AM

9,482 posts, read 16,369,891 times
Quote:
Where in Tucson are you going to look? I have the same reservations about the retirement communities but am not sure where else to look in Tucson which is where I want to end up. I also don't want to be in a child-oriented community either (no offense to those with children). I've been trying to do research on the internet (realtor.com).

Well I am going to try and find a mixed age setting. I would like a neighborhood that is a mixture of younger and seniors as well. I don't want a child oriented community either, and would not rent in that type of environment. It will be an apt or a small house. I don't really want a huge apt complex, so I will contact a real estate company, and see what they have to offer. That seems to be the most practical way to do this. That and meet and talk to as many people as I can on visits to Tucson, before I make the move late this summer. Gather as much information as I can on the area.

I would like to be in Tucson itself, but I need to look over the Tucson area before I decide on a particular spot there. I'm someone that does not want to own a house again in life. I've been there done that, and don't want it again at this stage of life. I find many retirees can't seem to understand that concept. Quite frankly I've grown tired of listening to some of them, concerning the expense and upkeep of their house There are quite a few of them at Sun City West, that go on and on, about the cost of maintaining two homes in multiple locations. Or just the one they have here. Perhaps some of them should look into renting, if owning has become as burdensome as they make it sound.

Perhaps your best bet would also be to contact a rental company/real estate office to go over what your needs are. Then the professionals can show you what they have to offer. Whether you buy or rent that method would probably be the most practical. One can beat themself up trying to find suitable housing, in places they are not from and they just don't know the area enough.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,453,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm someone that does not want to own a house again in life. I've been there done that, and don't want it again at this stage of life. I find many retirees can't seem to understand that concept. Quite frankly I've grown tired of listening to some of them, concerning the expense and upkeep of their house There are quite a few of them at Sun City West, that go on and on, about the cost of maintaining two homes in multiple locations. Or just the one they have here. Perhaps some of them should look into renting, if owning has become as burdensome as they make it sound.
I think many people, in this instance retirees, seem to favor home ownership over renting is because the thought is that when you own a home you can budget your expenses better. You know what your mortgage/taxes are, or just what the taxes are if you own outright. And you know where you're going to be living for the years ahead. For many, renting an apartment is too transient-like/uncertain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson