U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 PM

892 posts, read 2,107,773 times

Advertisements

is it really as cool as they say? i'd LOVE to visit this place as im a huge western fan. tombstone in particular
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,556,067 times
I think it is pretty need.

Don't eat the food though, it was just lousy and expensive...
You might want to call or check on line, last year around this time it was only like 2 days a week open.
Have fun, take a day, the shows are really good.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 AM

4,190 posts, read 11,963,615 times
since a fire in the mid-90s burned many of the original sets and buildings that had been built a few decades earlier, the "aura" there hasn't been the same.....some efficient reconstruction occurred, but I don't hear much about it anymore and it's now little more than a small family amusement park.....disputes between the owner (Pima County) and a local family that leases it didn't help morale....it's in a great setting and can be combined with a visit to the Desert Museum and Saguaro National Park (west unit)....visit if you are into Westerns and need some family destination....

Old Tucson Studios - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oldtucson.com (not working when I tried - hmmmmm)

Tombstone is entirely different...it's a real, though small, town and is about 1.5 hours from Tucson....

Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 AM

45 posts, read 91,663 times
If you are a fan of old westerns, you will enjoy it. We took some friends and they had a blast. I agree with Corydon, the food is expensive and not very tasty. Grab a bite in Tucson. You might also enjoy Trail Dust Town on Tanque Verde Rd, it has some attractions,shops, Museum of the Horse Soldier and a steakhouse called Pinnacle Peak where they cut off your tie if you wear one. Trail Dust Town is touristy and cheesy, but its still a lot of fun. Enjoy the fun and the sun

Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 AM

506 posts, read 1,357,214 times
We were there during the last week in Feb. and it was lots of fun. There is a lot to see and do. Yes, the food is expensive but still not bad as compared to anything in the Midwest. We spent the better part of a day there but since it was pretty chilly we didn't stay as long as we would have if it was warmer.

We thought it was cool. They had some demonstrations to see. One was a guy that did lassoing that was pretty cool. There was a tour running a few times each day with interesting history of the park. The mine tour was fun. And my kids had a blast driving the old cars.

Everything (except food) was included in the admission price which again is very different to anything here in the Midwest.

oldtucson.com works fine for me. I don't know why it didn't work for you azdr0710.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,369,917 times
The last time there was when Doc,Kitty,James Arness and Chester were filming,a wonderfull memory.Will always remember seeing Matt Dillon's standin come out of trailer to do a part.The local Tuscon TV station was on site also.We were watching renactment of western gun fight.I cannot imagine it being the same.
My sister,now deceased lived in Tuscon.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM

6,960 posts, read 12,444,182 times
I was just there with my family last month. We had a wonderful time and it was a very enjoyable day. The shows that were performed were well done, and the actors and performers seemed to enjoy their job. I will also agree on the food. It isn't that great and rather expensive. Eat before you get there.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM

8,001 posts, read 14,386,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynightz View Post
If you are a fan of old westerns, you will enjoy it. We took some friends and they had a blast. I agree with Corydon, the food is expensive and not very tasty. Grab a bite in Tucson. You might also enjoy Trail Dust Town on Tanque Verde Rd, it has some attractions,shops, Museum of the Horse Soldier and a steakhouse called Pinnacle Peak where they cut off your tie if you wear one. Trail Dust Town is touristy and cheesy, but its still a lot of fun. Enjoy the fun and the sun

Old Tucson Studios - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not even sure they film there anymore. What you see was not in any old movie, as except for the High Chaparral set across the bridge, the rest is mostly new. All the Duke's collection was destroyed, and the days of one side of the street (Looking south to North I think) was Walnut Grove, and looking the other direction was another town, are long gone. Do they even have the train anymore?

The only movies filmed since the fire are .....

2002: Legend of the Phantom Rider
2004: Treasure of the Seven Mummies
2005: Miracle at Sage Creek
2007: Legend of Pearl Hart
2008: Mad, Mad Wagon Party
2011: To Kill a Memory
2013: Hot Bath aní a Stiff Drink

Many films, not all of them Westerns, were shot at the Original Old Tucson Studios, either in whole or in part:

Old 04-11-2013, 03:05 PM

892 posts, read 2,107,773 times
WOW im blown away!! thank u to everyone who has replied, i grew up in los angeles and always heard of this place but i wasnt sure if it was real. then i moved across the country and im even further away now. but looking to slowly move back out west, just not l.a. lol

Old 04-11-2013, 07:00 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,556,067 times
The shows with the stuntman/woman are pretty neat, they jump from about 40 ft down... nice show, but only like twice a day.

What really suprised me, was there last year, they allow smoking outside the buildings.... Who would have thougt that after it burned down. It was not a cigarette that burned it I think, but stil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or