Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcee1987 View Post
What are your thoughts on an apartment vs a house for bug control? Is it actually easier to control for pests in a house? I'm certainly open to renting a house or guesthouse, I just need some help on the right direction to take.
IMHO a house is easier simply because you do not share walls (and ceilings and floors) with other people that may or may not keep a clean house. I have to spray the perimeter of my house each spring to keep the ants out, but that's the only real issue I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:05 PM

18 posts, read 32,664 times
K that's the general idea I've been getting here, so looking for a house has moved up on an option list for me. Thanks!

Any other recommendations to keep bugs out?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,559 times
Quote:
K that's the general idea I've been getting here, so looking for a house has moved up on an option list for me. Thanks!

Any other recommendations to keep bugs out?
Learn to love lizards.

Seriously.

When I first came here and looked at one apartment there was a lizard on the front door that scurried away as I approached. My fist thought was, "Wow, this place has lizards. I don't think I could live here even if the apartment is great".

Naive me, lizards are everywhere. They are small, it's not like we have komodo dragons wandering around or anything, but lizards are around and they eat bugs, so they are your friend.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Lol well thats good, I love lizards. I'm an animal person! Thanks!

Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Lol well thats good, I love lizards. I'm an animal person! Thanks!
Insects are the largest part of the animal kingdom; so, no, you're not animal person.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
I live in a condo, and the condo management employs a pest control service which sprays for scorpions, cockroaches, termites and sets traps for packrats. Still, I had cockroaches that came in through my drains and holes in cabinets or drywall around drainpipes and incoming pipes; under the kitchen sink, washing machine faucets and drain, toilets, bathtubs, and bathroom sinks. Since the pest control company the complex employs only sprays around the outside of our buildings, I hired the company with the yellow vehicles with mouse ears, and they come out every three months to my place, and put down glue boards, bait traps and spray inside and outside around my balcony and windows. Since I've been using them, my cockroach population is near zero, and the scorpions are definitely zero.

Cockroaches like water and live in the sewers, so they're going to come in through the water pipes, and the sinks, toilets, tub drains and pipes. Scorpions climb walls, can come through openings as small as 1/4" and look for water, darkness, and quiet, so they like closets, shoes, corners, under beds, and in cabinets or pantries. If you don't want to hire a pest control company, or if you think your manager isn't doing enough, you can always buy pest control sprays at home improvement centers, and do the spraying yourself.

Also, the more inner city you are, the chances of seeing pests is much less. From posts on this board, those that live in in well developed areas of the city rarely see pests. It's those that live on the outskirts, near the foothills, near open spaces and where housing has encroached on "critter" space that see more cockroaches, scorpions and termites.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I live in a condo, and the condo management employs a pest control service which sprays for scorpions, cockroaches, termites and sets traps for packrats. Still, I had cockroaches that came in through my drains and holes in cabinets or drywall around drainpipes and incoming pipes; under the kitchen sink, washing machine faucets and drain, toilets, bathtubs, and bathroom sinks. Since the pest control company the complex employs only sprays around the outside of our buildings, I hired the company with the yellow vehicles with mouse ears, and they come out every three months to my place, and put down glue boards, bait traps and spray inside and outside around my balcony and windows. Since I've been using them, my cockroach population is near zero, and the scorpions are definitely zero.

Cockroaches like water and live in the sewers, so they're going to come in through the water pipes, and the sinks, toilets, tub drains and pipes. Scorpions climb walls, can come through openings as small as 1/4" and look for water, darkness, and quiet, so they like closets, shoes, corners, under beds, and in cabinets or pantries. If you don't want to hire a pest control company, or if you think your manager isn't doing enough, you can always buy pest control sprays at home improvement centers, and do the spraying yourself.

Also, the more inner city you are, the chances of seeing pests is much less. From posts on this board, those that live in in well developed areas of the city rarely see pests. It's those that live on the outskirts, near the foothills, near open spaces and where housing has encroached on "critter" space that see more cockroaches, scorpions and termites.
Do you mind my asking which pest control company that is? I'm not too familiar with City Data, are you not allowed to give the name, or did you misplace it? If you can pm me the name of the company, that would be wonderful. I would love to have a company take care of all of those traps and whatnot for me.

The idea of sitting on the toilet and having a cockroach weasel up there to join me is absolutely terrifying to me...how likely is this to happen though?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
Quote:
absolutely terrifying to me....
oh, elcee.....sorry to be blunt, but you may need to make sure Tucson will work for you....the chances of a roach coming up your toilet (!) while you're on it are as close to zero as you can get.....there will be occasional roaches crawling around your kitchen or sink, but very little chance if you keep it clean....a little lizard may come in, but rarely....crickets up in the rafters may lull you to sleep....flies come in if you leave a door open too long.......

life in Arizona

Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
Quote:
The idea of sitting on the toilet and having a cockroach weasel up there to join me is absolutely terrifying to me...how likely is this to happen though?
That will never happen. Roaches don't come up through toilet bowls, they come up via the pipes that are cool and wet. They may find their way into your bathtub (keep the drain closed) or your sink (same), but not through the toilet. I had one in my closet that was apparently "lost" according to my pest guy. I had another roach walk right across the kitchen floor and over my puppy's foot, which I was able to put a glass over and spray. Another walked across my puppy's pee pad and it was so slow and lethargic, I sprayed it too. (Raid) You can keep the cleanest house in the city, but these are sewer roaches and follow water lines to get into homes. My pest guy said to tape up all the holes around drain pipes, spray Ant & Roach killer around the base boards and around all plumbing line entrances. If you Google "Tucson Pest Control Mouse Cars" you'll come up with the name.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:06 AM

299 posts, read 545,648 times
My advice-- bring baking soda. Even with monthly spraying in the apts you can still have roaches, ants, scorpions. I always put baking soda around the perimeters of each room, including the closets, and leave it there. Got rid of roaches, water bugs, ants in several places over the years. If you do get an apt with roaches hatchin in the cupboards, and you might do this when you 1st move in-- put a dusting of baking soda in the perimeters/cracks of all the cupboard shelves, then put your shelf paper on top of that. If you have pets, just put baking soda behind furniture they can't get under or behind (did that when I had 3 chihuahuas), still works.

Example of my success: Almost 2 years ago I rented a very nice apt, it was empty for over a year. The movers left and a lot of roaches came out to say 'welcome'. I put the baking soda all around the 1st night (saw as many as 25 roaches in 1 day). Two weeks later, saw less roaches each day. It took 6-7 weeks and they were gone, have seen none since. My neighbor had roaches too and asked me to baking soda her apt, I did and her apt has been roach-free all this time. I also put some baking soda on the door sills (outside).

I think a nest had formed here since the apts (6) in this building had been unoccupied for a long time.

One advantage regarding the bugs: Some of the roaches are so big you can ride them to work (saves gas....) (lol?????)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: