U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2013, 06:25 AM

68 posts, read 56,396 times

Advertisements

How frequent do power outages happen in Tucson. One person I know told me monthly, another weekly, and another said it's rare. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 PM

3,506 posts, read 5,139,764 times
you asked a similar question in the Phx forum and received replies about Tucson in it....I don't know who told you Tucson outages occur weekly or monthly (ha), but outages are very, very rare.....very strong summer storms in July and August may cause a brief outage.....

brush fires and electrical grids should not concern you as you decide if Arizona is your place....good luck on the move.....

Old 05-16-2013, 12:20 PM

7,992 posts, read 16,254,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HACESOL View Post
How frequent do power outages happen in Tucson. One person I know told me monthly, another weekly, and another said it's rare. Thanks
Put me down for RARE, HACESOL.

I find it amazing how such ridiculous false information gets "out of control" nowadays?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 PM

92 posts, read 80,828 times
I think AZ has enough juice to power itself. Palo Verde Nuclear plant, largest nuke plant in the U.S, even sells power to neighboring states, I believe. Solar panels (farms) are becoming more common in the Grand Canyon State.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 AM
Status: "Time it was and what a time it was, it was." (set 16 days ago)

3,602 posts, read 3,281,377 times
I would say it's rare for power to go out. It happens in August when there are strong monsoons that knock down power lines, so that's once or twice a year. The longest it's been out in my area was maybe an hour at most. I would call it a non-event. I lost power much more frequently when I lived in Colorado as the winter snows, and summer thunderstorms caused outages.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:59 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,824,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor21 View Post
I think AZ has enough juice to power itself. Palo Verde Nuclear plant, largest nuke plant in the U.S, even sells power to neighboring states, I believe. Solar panels (farms) are becoming more common in the Grand Canyon State.
Note that Tucson Electric Power (TEP) does not get any of its electricity from Palo Verde. The electric utilities that get electricity from Palo Verde include Arizona Public Service (APS) with a 29.1% share, Salt River Project (SRP) with a 17.5% share, El Paso Electric Company and Southern California Edison both with a 15.8% share each, PNM Resources with a 10.2% share, Southern California Public Power Authority with a 5.9% share, and the Los Angeles Dept. of Water & Power with a 5.7% share.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:52 AM

41 posts, read 33,938 times
Had one outage in the last 2 years. In Orlando it was weekly.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 AM

5,608 posts, read 5,543,559 times
I live in the NW suburb. In the 8+ years I've lived here, I can only think of three times we've lost power for more than one minute. Two times were 15-20 minutes. Once was about 45 minutes. In every case it was during a monsoon rain with heavy winds.

We had a lot of trouble with our cable going out for seemingly no reason when we had Comcast. We switched to DirecTV and have had far fewer problems with it. The times the signal is lost it immediately resets itself (process takes about 10 minutes). Once in the time I've been here I lost phone and internet one summer afternoon when it was super hot. Qwest (it's now CenturyLink, but it was Qwest back then) sent someone out and it was fixed at the source of the problem (some box in the subdivision) and communication was restored in a couple of hours.

All in all, I've had no more trouble with public utilities of any type than I had the many other places I have lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson