U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 PM

9,367 posts, read 26,495,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outspokenaz View Post
um where did i say my friend got pulled over for a license plate issue? I said he got a speed camera ticket. There was no officer present. Thats comparing apples to oranges.
Quote:
Ill ask again has anyone run into this? I would appreciate facts rather than unfounded opinions thanks!
Please re-read my original post.

1) I never stated your friend was pulled over for a license plate issue.

2) I clearly stated what happened when a neighbor blatantly ignored a Speed Camera Ticket while claiming he was not a Tucson resident. I know this first hand because, on the following day I personally drove him to the local Tucson Police Station to pay his tickets and then to the impound lot to claim his vehicle.

Bottom line . . . NOT WORTH THE RISK as it came back to bite him in the butt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 07:55 PM

2,321 posts, read 7,717,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBho View Post
snip
I just got nabbed by a camera on River Rd. when I was there house-hunting a couple of weeks ago and would feel safe in ignoring it if I weren't moving there in a month or so. The fine is bloody OUTRAGEOUS, but I can't come back there to contest it before the deadline and I sure don't want to make an enemy of the AZ authorities before I'm even an official resident.
I visit my mother in Tucson about 4 times a year. She lives in the River Rd area and I saw that camera speed trap on my last visit there in March. It is true highway robbery for visitors who are not familiar with the area. River Rd is smooth, multi-lane and "wide open" in the area of the camera trap (approaching Alvernon). It is very easy to exceed the 40 mph limit. The River Rd camera trap will get you if you are even a tiny bit over 40 mph. When I went by there in March I was behind some other cars who suddenly mashed on their brakes which forced me to slow down. Thanks to them I did not get a ticket because I was approaching the camera trap at 50 mph. There is very little warning between the sign announcing "photo speed enforcement" and the camera trap. It is barely enough time to react.

A bit over 3 years ago on a Christmas Eve I got a "left turn on red" camera ticket at Oracle Rd and River Rd. The fine was somewhere around $200. That is the only traffic citation that I have received in the last 15+ years, so it is an indication of how flawed the Tucson camera traps are. The left turn camera ticket I got was because they have the left turn signal timed to go red unusually quick after it turns yellow. I had started my left turn on a green arrow, but it turned yellow and red before I had completed my left turn through the wide intersection. What a rip off that was.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 PM

1,234 posts, read 1,545,352 times
You really think a out of state ticket can be ignored?
Sooner or later you pay.

That would be great for truck drivers.....
Just pay, don't be a *****. Real man take responsibilty for their actions.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:36 PM

9,367 posts, read 26,495,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
A bit over 3 years ago on a Christmas Eve I got a "left turn on red" camera ticket at Oracle Rd and River Rd. The fine was somewhere around $200. That is the only traffic citation that I have received in the last 15+ years, so it is an indication of how flawed the Tucson camera traps are. The left turn camera ticket I got was because they have the left turn signal timed to go red unusually quick after it turns yellow. I had started my left turn on a green arrow, but it turned yellow and red before I had completed my left turn through the wide intersection. What a rip off that was.
Sorry, Recycled . . . what you are stating is NOT correct.

I live literally blocks from the Oracle and River Road intersection and the Left Turn Signal is not "rigged" in any way. If a vehicle enters the intersection while the light is green, the camera will not be triggered.

Also, prior to the installation of the Red Light Cameras on that intersection a few years ago, accidents due to blatant red light runners and Cell Phone Ding Dongs were frequent, sometimes more than one serious accident a day and many were very serious with personal injury. After the cameras, the accident rate has dropped substantially.

Another point, the Speed Cameras on River Road near Alvernon are clearly signed well in advance as you approach from either direction as is the case with all Speed and Red Light Cameras in Tucson and Pima County.

I am not a huge fan of Enforcement Cameras, however, they are far superior to serious accidents.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,338,987 times
A traffic ticket is issued to the driver. If the state cannot identify the driver (such as in the case of out of state plates) a notice goes to the registered owner but is only a request for identification of the driver. It clearly states you are not obligated to respond.

Read the fine print on what was mailed.

Know if it is a ticket or request to identify the driver.

Never go to the link that says "to see more pictures go to this web address..."

My disclaimer is that, although I am not one to ever go more than 10mph over the limit, I feel the red light and speeding cameras are an egregious government racket. Whether your friend ignores or not, as you point out, is his choice. And all choices have consequences. Attitude is also a choice.

If it was a request to identify, and if he does not have Arizona plates or license, he would have an easier time ignoring it. Wait 120 days to register the car in AZ and to get an AZ license.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:51 PM

205 posts, read 614,352 times
Quote:
thats 100% incorrect. Please provide a URL or something backing up your opinions with facts.

If my friend avoids the process server for 120 days the ticket is DISMISSED because the ticket is only valid if a person hands it to you.

If my friend cannot avoid the process server then he has to pay an addional $36 in addition to the ticket.

So his risk/reward is: Avoid the process server and face no consequences, or pay an extra $36. I dont know what you are talking about "bench warrent" and all that other stuff. It doesnt apply to speed camera tickets.

See Photo Radar Citation - Are you legally obligated to pay the ticket in Arizona?
You may be right because it's a speed camera ticket - didn't even stop to think that through. When you're given a written citation by a LEO, it's considered served and I will admit, I'm not up on the law about speed and red light camera citations. Just be sure that receipt of the ticket in the mail isn't considered service. Just hope the article you are referencing is correct so that you don't end up in more trouble than you thought. I still think 30 over can be considered reckless which elevates the offense and thus the ramifications.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:43 AM

58 posts, read 108,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
A traffic ticket is issued to the driver. If the state cannot identify the driver (such as in the case of out of state plates) a notice goes to the registered owner but is only a request for identification of the driver. It clearly states you are not obligated to respond.

Read the fine print on what was mailed.

Know if it is a ticket or request to identify the driver.
As ashamed as I am to admit I never read the fine print (there's just SO MUCH of it anymore!), I have to thank you for this concise and immensely helpful response, yellowbelle. You just saved me $239 and change.

Smooooch!

Old 05-27-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
I still think 30 over can be considered reckless which elevates the offense and thus the ramifications.
Tom, you suffer (as do I) from "Gettin'-old-and-can't-speed-read-so-well-anymore" syndrome. He wasn't 30 MPH over, he had 30 days to respond to the citation.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
It is true highway robbery for visitors who are not familiar with the area. River Rd is smooth, multi-lane and "wide open" in the area of the camera trap (approaching Alvernon). It is very easy to exceed the 40 mph speed limit,
Couldn't agree more. There should be a law that speed limit signs have to be posted at more frequent intervals than they are, at the very least.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:12 AM

35,121 posts, read 39,858,952 times
Quote:
Hello All,

I have a friend living in tucson and he recently got one of those speed camera tickets for allegedly going over the speed limit. he has 30 days to respond, and within that time frame he's moving to phoenix. Since the ticket was issued in pima county, and phoenix is in maricopa county, could he avoid the ticket just simply moving? Do tucson process servers drive to phoenix to serve a ticket? I know if someone is out of state they wont be served, but i havent found anything about living out of county. Has anyone run into this before?

Please spare me the high morals. I dont care if you think he should pay it because "its the right thing to do". My question is simply a technical question i am not asking about morals, etc.

thanks

Just because one moves to another county does not mean a ticket just disappears. Does your cell phone bill or that last utility bill disappear just because you moved out of the place the utilities were used?
Your friend should first slow down and second either pay the ticket, go to court or both and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or