U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM

20 posts, read 29,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I agree with Tom that the banning of rain collection barrels is absurd. What about in backyards where HOAs usually have no jurisdiction? My HOA allows us to do most anything in the backyard provided "whatever" is no higher than the block wall.

My patio roof is the lowest point on my roof so a great deal of the rain drains onto it and before it runs off. Rather than bother with putting up a gutter, I have a big stack of cheap buckets I keep to line up along the edge of the patio. They collect the run-off and I transfer it to a barrel I keep in a discrete part of my yard or use immediately to water my unirrigated patio pots if the rain is light. I'm sure plenty of people would think this is too much work, but I'm home most of the time and it's good exercise hauling the buckets around. I just have to make sure they don't blow away because most of the time when we have rain we also have a lot of wind. Some rocks usually do the trick. Often it rains hard enough that the buckets get filled up right away and then I have to run a one-woman bucket brigade. I get wet, but that happens so seldom in AZ it's kind of fun.
I gotta love Jukesgrrl's attitude and how she handles the roof run-off. The image of her doing a solo bucket brigade brought me a refreshing chuckle that was much needed tonight here in rainy Buffalo, NY. Thanks!

I know that i'd like to collect rainwater off my roof when we move into our Tucson home later this summer...i never thought there might be community regulations against it. My house isn't in a new development so i hope i won't be limited in that regard. Where i live now we grow vicious, blood-thirsty little flying vampires called mosquitos anywhere there's standing water. Sometimes they'll actually have larvae hatch out of gutters that aren't pitched at a good enough angle to allow rainwater to run off. I can't believe Tucson's climate permits mosquito-type life, does it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 09:51 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,495,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madnomad View Post
I gotta love Jukesgrrl's attitude and how she handles the roof run-off. The image of her doing a solo bucket brigade brought me a refreshing chuckle that was much needed tonight here in rainy Buffalo, NY. Thanks!

I know that i'd like to collect rainwater off my roof when we move into our Tucson home later this summer...i never thought there might be community regulations against it. My house isn't in a new development so i hope i won't be limited in that regard. Where i live now we grow vicious, blood-thirsty little flying vampires called mosquitos anywhere there's standing water. Sometimes they'll actually have larvae hatch out of gutters that aren't pitched at a good enough angle to allow rainwater to run off. I can't believe Tucson's climate permits mosquito-type life, does it?
You'll be pleased to know we have perfected the mosquito in Tucson. We have a bug that looks like a mosquito but it doesn't bite and to my knowledge is not a disease-carrier. It does, however, appear to be a tasty treat for lizards. I have a lizard I call Fat Boy that hangs around my house nightly, dining on the moths and wannabe-mosquitos that swirl around my porch light. He is three times the size of any other lizard I've ever seen at my place and he looks like a miniature dragon. When I go out in the morning to get the newspaper he is sound asleep. I can walk within inches of him and he doesn't move. Generally, the lizards take off when so much as a shadow crosses their path.

When I lived in Pittsburgh I spent a lot of time at the Jersey Shore, so I share your dislike of mosquitoes. There are lots of creepy critters here in Tucson, but you don't have worry about mosquito bites. Don't get bit by a spider though.

I don't know how much time you've spent in Tucson previously but, generally speaking, it is an environmentally conscious city. There are lots of groups happy to advise on anything you would like to do to conserve or reuse. In fact, Pima County is seen as one of the more progressive governmental bodies in the Southwest when it comes to land use planning and conservation. The Pima County library system is great and sponsors a lot of free lectures on gardening and land use at various libraries. Wanna keep chickens? Wanna be a bee-keeper? The library is there for you. Also Tohono Chul Park is a excellent educational resource. Their greenhouse and shop is a good place to buy plants, tools, and books specific to this unique eco-system. Park memberships are inexpensive, give you a discount for purchases, and are a good way for newcomers to the area to learn about the desert.

Single-Family Residential Rainwater Harvesting Incentives Rebate Program | The Official Website for the City of Tucson, Arizona
Water Harvesting and Conservation Tucson Clean and Beautiful
Tucson Botanical Gardens Rainwater Harvesting
Tohono Chul Park | Education |
Library News | Pima County Public Library | Tucson, Marana, Ajo, Oro Valley, Sahuarita, Green Valley, Vail, Arivaca | Arizona

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 05-28-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 10:19 AM

20 posts, read 29,464 times
Hi Jukesgirl...wowie zowie! Thanks for all the cool links. I'll be happy to be living in a politically progressive town as Tucson is rather than that northern bastion of "conservatism" called Phoenix (which was on our short list at one time). We are pro-environment and will practice personal water conservation measures to the best of our talents and abilities. I'm personally looking very much forward to learning about the desert ecosystem as it is pretty much not in my life experience so far. At 62, maybe this old Eastern hound dog can learn some new things from the Western coyote? That's a pretty weak analogy, but you know what i mean...anyway, thanks again!

Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 PM

205 posts, read 616,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madnomad View Post

I know that i'd like to collect rainwater off my roof when we move into our Tucson home later this summer...i never thought there might be community regulations against it. My house isn't in a new development so i hope i won't be limited in that regard.
It's not so much that our community prohibits rainwater collection, it's that they prohibit the installation of gutters (cosmetic change) so effectively, they are banning rainwater collection unless you're like jukesgirl and run a bucket brigade .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson