U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,098 times

Advertisements

I realize this topics been covered to death in other posts, but I wanted to see if there are any more recommendations you guys can make for my situation.

I'll be moving to Tucson in late June to work at Raytheon and am looking for recommendations on apartments. I'm looking for one bedroom apt for around $700~800 that allows medium sized dogs. I'd prefer areas that are closer to the outdoors/quiet (and safer) rather than noisy/busy downtown areas. Beyond that I'm pretty flexible on apt options. I've read that living close to I-10 makes commute much more painless to Raytheon.

Also, I'm looking to get a used car once I get there. Is it better to get it off of craigslist to avoid state tax or are dealerships alright in Tucson? I'm also open to going to Phoenix to get a car if I can't find what I'm looking for in Tucson. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 01:45 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,279,355 times
Anything near Kolb Road would be good. Kolb is a major street going North and South which has a lot of commuter traffic going to Raytheon, Davis-Monthan, and the Airport area. I will throw out a name of on apt complex thats in your price range that allows pets the Tanque Verde Apartments. Your obviously going to get a better deal of Craiglist than at a dealer. The plus side on dealer sales is they might stand behind the deal for a few days. They also have the paperwork straightened out. Arizona requires notarized signatures from the seller if its financed. Tucson car prices are probably a little cheaper than Phoenix. The airbase and the university seem to have sellers that need to sell because they are moving.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:29 AM

205 posts, read 616,141 times
Even buying private, they're going to hit you for the tax in the form of registration fees based on the value of the car.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,098 times
But will the registration fees from buying private be as high as paying state tax from buying dealership? Do you know what the percentage of the car's value the registration fees are?

Old 06-02-2013, 05:20 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,497,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arx0929 View Post
But will the registration fees from buying private be as high as paying state tax from buying dealership? Do you know what the percentage of the car's value the registration fees are?
Registration fees are based on the make and age of the car. I drive an old Chevy and I pay next-to-nothing. My car is so old I'm required to get an emission inspection, but even the price of that doesn't make buying a newer car more cost-effective. My car always pass the test, so no repairs have ever been required. People buying new cars, particularly luxury cars, pay hundreds annually; perhaps that's deductible from Federal income tax but since I don't do it I don't know for sure.

Information about buying a car from a private seller in AZ can be found here:
Motor Vehicle Division

AZ makes registration and license renewals easy as most MVD services can be done online (voter registration, too!): ServiceArizona

You'll get faster service at the MVD by going to a suburban location at mid-week. If you're a AAA member, check with them about their services. I transferred a deed and got a license plate for a car in a matter of minutes at a AAA office when I lived in Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson