Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:42 PM

65 posts, read 222,801 times

Advertisements

The scary thing is Tucson is, hands down, the best place I've ever driven. I find the drivers to be courteous and safe, at least on the east/SE side of town. What does that say about other places I've lived?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 08:58 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW25 View Post
The scary thing is Tucson is, hands down, the best place I've ever driven. I find the drivers to be courteous and safe, at least on the east/SE side of town. What does that say about other places I've lived?
That's downright SCARY, Dawn! ! ! ! !

Old 11-04-2007, 09:31 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,097 times
I've yet to come across a town where I've thought "my, what good drivers these are!". I always find something to tick me off.

I agree with the previous poster who mentioned the east side. It's heaven over there compared to the N/NW side where I work. The other day I was trying to make a left-hand turn and was waiting for this truck that was careening down the blvd to pass by so I could go but as he came to the intersection he slowed down. The light turned yellow and I started rolling forward slightly, still waiting for him, and he slowed to a crawl, flashed his brights at me (this was in the middle of the day, mind you) and honked as if I couldn't see his hideous glittery orange truck coming my way, then continued through when the light turned red. Antics like these always find their way under my skin.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
I've yet to come across a town where I've thought "my, what good drivers these are!". I always find something to tick me off.

I agree with the previous poster who mentioned the east side. It's heaven over there compared to the N/NW side where I work. The other day I was trying to make a left-hand turn and was waiting for this truck that was careening down the blvd to pass by so I could go but as he came to the intersection he slowed down. The light turned yellow and I started rolling forward slightly, still waiting for him, and he slowed to a crawl, flashed his brights at me (this was in the middle of the day, mind you) and honked as if I couldn't see his hideous glittery orange truck coming my way, then continued through when the light turned red. Antics like these always find their way under my skin.
I'd agree about the E and SE side of town, too. I've always lived here (remember almost no traffic East of Pantano) and it may be just a habit, but I definitely prefer it. There was a time when people were moving from the NW just because of the horrible traffic.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:43 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,419 times
I drive to La eight times a year but four on I-10 and four on I-40, I do this because usually four are for fun and four are for business and the ones for fun I take a prettier route.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:49 PM

My problem is the drivers in Arizona stay in a line and do not switch lanes ever. I cut in front of people all the time, switch lanes and try to get on my way as fast as possible. I am used to LA drivers and if there is a line of cars I will obviously try to get around it but it is hard when there is one going 30mph in every lane! And then when I try to switch lanes they box you in!! It is like they are all ocd or some thing they just sit there going so slow in a perfect line and if anyone gets out of the line every one gets pissed at you. This goes on every where in the state except Phoenix. I have heard it is becaues of the way the word this one law, but I alredy forgot.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:57 AM

552 posts, read 1,073,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
My problem is the drivers in Arizona stay in a line and do not switch lanes ever. I cut in front of people all the time, switch lanes and try to get on my way as fast as possible. I am used to LA drivers and if there is a line of cars I will obviously try to get around it but it is hard when there is one going 30mph in every lane! And then when I try to switch lanes they box you in!! It is like they are all ocd or some thing they just sit there going so slow in a perfect line and if anyone gets out of the line every one gets pissed at you. This goes on every where in the state except Phoenix. I have heard it is becaues of the way the word this one law, but I alredy forgot.
I rarely have a problem with people going too slow. The average speed limit inside of city limits/outside of residential areas is 40mph, and the average speed driven by motorists inside city limits/outside of residential areas is 55mph. People driving as if it's the race of death are annoyances, and in the stop/go traffic that comprises Tucson it's completely pointless, since no matter how quickly you get to the next red light, I'll catch up with you even if I'm not going 65mph and weaving through traffic.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Actually, I stand corrected. What I mentioned earlier doesn't annoy me nearly as much as what you just described! Constant swerving on surface streets for no reason other than making it first to the next red light, hampering all the traffic and endangering and irritating everybody in the meantime is a lot worse in my book. And yes, I'll box you in any time you're doing it! The roads were not created for your sole convenience. Perhaps you need private roads.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:28 PM

I am talking about on Interstate Ten, you know the one with out stop lights. I am a LA driver and as well in Texas you pass people. This is my problem, exactly. You never pass each other or switch lanes you stay in lines and if one person goes under the speed limit in the line every one behind them has to. In Texas and Cali you get tickets for going under the speed limit I do not know if this is the case here. So I get stuck and I try to switch lanes and the pass the line and when I try every time I try I get boxed in and cursed at. It is not like I am doing any thing bad, switching lanes. If some one was going 50 and the speed limit was 70 and you were stuck in a line behind them would you stay in the line? And this is my question, is there some law or something in that regard that says you cannot switch lanes some thing along those lines? I do not do what I described on streets that are not highway, only on highways free ways etc. I want to get around I do not want to be in a line boxed in, I do not want some one on my rear all the time. I do not swerve around, I switch lanes. Maybe it is some thing you ALL should learn some time.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I am talking about on Interstate Ten, you know the one with out stop lights. I am a LA driver and as well in Texas you pass people. This is my problem, exactly. You never pass each other or switch lanes you stay in lines and if one person goes under the speed limit in the line every one behind them has to. In Texas and Cali you get tickets for going under the speed limit I do not know if this is the case here. So I get stuck and I try to switch lanes and the pass the line and when I try every time I try I get boxed in and cursed at. It is not like I am doing any thing bad, switching lanes. If some one was going 50 and the speed limit was 70 and you were stuck in a line behind them would you stay in the line? And this is my question, is there some law or something in that regard that says you cannot switch lanes some thing along those lines? I do not do what I described on streets that are not highway, only on highways free ways etc. I want to get around I do not want to be in a line boxed in, I do not want some one on my rear all the time. I do not swerve around, I switch lanes. Maybe it is some thing you ALL should learn some time.
If you have a problem with I-10, what's your post doing on the Tucson forum...?! I-10 runs across the continent from CA to FL last time I checked. It only happens to go by Tucson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson