U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 12,879 times

Advertisements

Considering buying mobile home in Tucson for retirement. What's the best mobile home communities in Tucson for safety and quietness. Considering Swan Lake Estates, Trails West Mobile Home Park, or Friendly Village Of The Catalinas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 03:57 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,497,465 times
The Highlands in Oro Valley is the only mobile home community in that popular suburb of Tucson and I believe it is over-55. It's in a fantastic location with beautiful scenery, quick access to every kind of shopping you can imagine, and not far from the main entrance of the Coronado National Forest. Although it's visible from Lambert Lane only thanks to a sign, it's actually tucked in close to Oracle Road (route 77, a major thoroughfare of metro Tucson). Right across the street is Cañada del Oro Riverfront Park, one of the few public parks I know of in this area with a tennis court. OV has its own hospital (a satellite of Northwest Medical Center), one of the most beautiful public libraries in Pima County, and it's threaded with bike and walking trails. As for safety, I've heard that Oro Valley has more police officers per capita than any town in Arizona. And I can't imagine what they need them for since crime in OV is usually characterized by a drunk throwing his putter around the country club bar.

The Highlands Real Estate & The Highlands Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Old 06-30-2013, 03:32 PM

300 posts, read 411,865 times
I have been looking for townhouse to buy or another late 1970s mobile home, I have owned 2 and know what is in them. I have an environmental illness called multiple chemical sensitivity, so I cannot do smoking, candles, cats, no ceramic tile flooring, no laminate vinyl, etc. Been in and out of so many MHs.

The Highlands is a nice community, streets uphill, with the old single wides being at the top of the hill with the best view-- like you could reach out and touch the mountain. Clubhouse is at the top, too. These MHs are more expensive-- think $100,000 and up for something good. You own the land, pay HOA fee and there was another fee, can't remember what it was called. I talked with a few ladies living there-- they said they were sorry they moved there and not much in the way of recreation. If you are into taking a walk in the neighborhood, it's up and down hills all the way. I cheated-- rode in my pickup.

Friendly Village of the Catalinas-- was there again last week. Saw a very nice double wide. Don't know if you are looking for old or new. This MH park is nice but has the appearance of one that is going downhill slowly. The realtor has lived there 30 yrs, loves it. F Village is my 2nd choice MH park. Good activities. Think there is a guard at night. It used be be gated, was open during the days I was there, may be closed at night.

Swan Lake-- very nice park. The security guard where I live has a MH there, loves it. It is gated, has good activities. I passed on that MH park because of the location and the lake (4 acres-- filled with fish). There was turmoil over the odor when the dam in Tempe leaked and had to be drained (I lived in Phoenix at the time) - dead fish, people complaining of awful smell. Can't remember if it was alligators they brought in to help eat the dead fish. I Heard that chemicals are used to take care of the lake. Am afraid if there is a problem, fish dying, etc., I would be stuck there with that odor. Also, the location. Congestion, old gas lines. Seems like frequent power outages in that area and power poles getting knocked down.

Saved the best for last. My girl friend, now deceased, lived in the MH park I prefer (looking at another MH tomorrow) for 10 years, loved it. Every time I go there, when I am heading for the gate, I feel like crying-- feels like home. Wonder if I could pitch a tent on an empty lot while searching for my perfect home. All but a few homes have red brick skirting, makes the park look nicer. Residents walking around-- wave to me, say hi while I am in the park. It is gated with a guard at the gate 24/7.

In the last few months I had to pass on a few beautiful doublewides in the 1970s - well-maintained, very pretty inside, 2 had really pretty furniture. Most ask for $35,000 for a MH like that but they will come down to $27,000 to $30,000 sometimes if it is cash. I had to pass on those homes because something in them made me ill (burning eyes, throat, difficulty breathing). One of them-- the daughter who lives in the park cleaned with bleach before I got there. If she gets that on the paneling, per Chlorox, you have to remove and replace the wood. Also, they paint the pretty paneling, put tape and texture on the walls. Some don't have AC, just swamp coolers. Me-- I prefer swamp and central AC-- had it in both of my MHs. Lots of activities, think line dancing too. Always love the potlucks. The other MHs I passed on-- the only wall for the bed is at the window, I do not put my bed under a window. AND, if you are not a smoker you are in luck-- about a year and a half ago this park went non-smoking. So, I always ask if the MH was a smoker's - they have a note in their book on the homes. The name is Rincon East, 3411 S Camino Seco, south of Golf Links. Not many stores real close. It takes about 20 min to get to St. Joseph's Hospital (my favorite-- the food is GOOD), 25 min to Tucson Medical Center.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-30-2013, 03:35 PM

300 posts, read 411,865 times
Forgot to tell you-- Trails West and others-- on that side of I-10 a lot of the MH parks are under a flight path. Park West is a nice park in that area, homes ground set. Also, more scorpions I think over that way. Manager said they spray outside but every now and then he finds scorpions in his MH, some dead, some alive. St. Mary's Hospital-- not a good choice.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 12,879 times
Thanks much for your reply. It was most helpful. Was considering a MH in Swan Lake Estates on the lake, so thanks again for your info. I've been forewarned me about scorpions.... yuck.... I'm also extremely noise sensitive so takes for the heads-up on the flight paths. I'll look more carefully at Rincon East community. I'd like a quiet, stress-free (if that's at all possible) retirement; some place with warm weather (no more 4 seasons for me). Wishing you much serenity, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson