Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,330 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone -

My son will be moving to Tucson and I'm trying to help him scout out some good places to live. He'll be working for Raytheon down by the airport.

- He's single, 25-35 age group
- Tends to like more suburban areas as opposed to downtown areas
- Likes playing sports - badminton, tennis, etc
- Wants to rent for a while.
- Isn't looking for luxury but cost isn't the main driver. He's coming from the northeast so I think alot of Tucson will seem affordable

He was out there a couple of weeks ago and drove around for a day. He really liked the area up by N Kolb and E Snyder. I'm wondering though if that is a reasonable commute or not. Looking at a map it sure seems like the top half of the commute north of the AFB could involve a lot of stop & go traffic.

Also, the census data using the zip code for that area shows that the median age is 51 yrs old. Is that whole neighborhood generally older/retiree or are there little clusters driving that number? He doesn't go out partying or bar hopping so doesn't need to be close to stuff like that, but I'm not sure he'll meet folks his age and/or with his interests if he ends up in an area with a predominantly older crowd.

Any info and guidance would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 01:25 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times
Kolb is the main road from that part of town our to the airport. Once you get past a few lights it cuts right through the middle of the Air Force Base. I prefer running down Kolb. The alternate route which shows up on google I think has more stoplights. Once you cross Tanque Verde and go up Sabino Canyon the area has lots of condominium and townhouse projects that have a lot of seniors. Most I don't think are even age restricted but they just end up that way. Where I live we have 169 homes and townhouses. We have one child in the complex. The area is pretty safe and attractive. Kolb-Sabino Canyon road has a lot of commuters so I know not everyone is retired. I look at Tanque Verde as a dividing line. For the most part incomes are higher and people older North of Tanque Verde. Lots of families and apartments south of there. Tucson is a relatively young town with the University. One thing about Tucson is the crime is high especially in the south end. You can meet people in Tucson through Meetup.com. There are lots of interest groups. Its not just for singles.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,288 times
I have a place that im renting out!! my currant roommates are leaving soon in 4days and need a roommate my place I near his job and its fully furnished.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,394 times
kolb/snyder is far from raytheon near TIA, a bear of a drive w/ traffic.

for driving i would say sahuarita or green valley, but thats a tad different than tucson. maybe vail? a small place near UoA might be good, he could be around younger crowd while school is in.

median age = 51 ?? thats probably all of metro-tucson, this is retirement zone. sorry, if your son was looking for young/happening city to be in, Tucson aint it, and hopefully raytheon didnt sell that to him to take the job, etc.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:03 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post
kolb/snyder is far from raytheon near TIA, a bear of a drive w/ traffic.

for driving i would say sahuarita or green valley, but thats a tad different than tucson. maybe vail? a small place near UoA might be good, he could be around younger crowd while school is in.

median age = 51 ?? thats probably all of metro-tucson, this is retirement zone. sorry, if your son was looking for young/happening city to be in, Tucson aint it, and hopefully raytheon didnt sell that to him to take the job, etc.
You pretty much hit it out of the park on that last comment HK. It would be nothing like Portland or Seattle or parts of Phoenix. Still for some people North of the Riilto wash is in my opinion a comfort zone. If crime wasn't so mobile there wouldn't be any crime there. There are not that many but I have noticed a few young people who like the area. My neighbor works at Raytheon and he likes the neighborhood. There is only one child in my neighborhood and we are all old-relatively speaking. He and his wife are in their 20's but like the feel of the area and are looking to buy near by. By the way people like kids in most of these older neighborhoods.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 AM

57 posts, read 117,437 times
He could always try downtown Tucson if he likes that atmosphere. I too work at Raytheon, however most people I know that work there live up on the northwest side near Ina and Oracle, and that area.

Rita ranch and Vail could be good options too, especially if he gets transferred to the other Raytheon locations. From those areas it's just a jog down I-10 to Valencia and a right on Alvernon to get to the airport site

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
He could always try downtown Tucson if he likes that atmosphere. I too work at Raytheon, however most people I know that work there live up on the northwest side near Ina and Oracle, and that area.

Rita ranch and Vail could be good options too, especially if he gets transferred to the other Raytheon locations. From those areas it's just a jog down I-10 to Valencia and a right on Alvernon to get to the airport site

from I10 that's a pita area to go to/from.
areas along I10 are best if you need to trek on I10 for work (ina/10, gladden farms, marana rd, orange grove/10, etc). areas like dove mtn are easy to get to, just a tad more miles, etc.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:32 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
we haven't heard back from Dad in three weeks, so I think he's given up on us.....

anyway, for any others, many Raytheon people I know live out in Vail or Rita Ranch....a lot of the San Diego transfers from years ago moved out there....the Kolb/Snyder area commute would get old very fast

Old 10-05-2013, 02:33 AM

57 posts, read 117,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post
from I10 that's a pita area to go to/from.
areas along I10 are best if you need to trek on I10 for work (ina/10, gladden farms, marana rd, orange grove/10, etc). areas like dove mtn are easy to get to, just a tad more miles, etc.
Well I think it's because these people like the houses way up there, and can afford them. I remember one of the people I talked to lived up in Catalina.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
Well I think it's because these people like the houses way up there, and can afford them. I remember one of the people I talked to lived up in Catalina.

having a pita drive for a nice house is a trade-off, but for me i dont like pita drives, it makes people irritable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson