Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 10:31 AM

23 posts, read 68,104 times

Advertisements

Am looking at townhome developments with HOA's that don't cover the roof, I have never heard of this before, but, there it is. If units adjoin, is it not possible to get a leak into your unit that originates in the roof over your neighbors unit? How do you make them fix it? With the roof covered by HOA this wouldn't even come up, roof leak, fix it, end of story.
Anyone know? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 10:45 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
I believe it would depend on the type of construction, Magnolia.

My Patio Home has one common wall, however, it is totally separated by a block wall that extends about three feet above the flat roof of either unit.

Not very likely a roof leak in the adjoining unit would have any affect on my home.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
I have a townhome and recently had the roof replaced. We live on a slight slope and my neighbors side was built higher than mine but you cant tell unless you are on the roof. I think there is a slight buildup along her side so the water stays on her side. The flat roof are built with a slight slope usually sloping from front to back. If your interested in a competive bid from a reputable company send me a PM. I had bids from $6500 to $22,000.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:14 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
HOA can certainly come into play. But also it's the form of ownership of one's home.

One of the issues can be the townhouse owned fee simple (as a single family home would be), non-condo, some privately owned space in back and front and, with end units, to the side....and yet with the same uninterupted roof across them all.

The general rule of thumb with a condo is that the homeowner owns from the middle of their house wall inward.

In a non-condo, fee simple townhome a cracked patio or water break in the front yard or, getting closer to the privately owner home inside and out, the storm damaged front porch or rear patio, or the storm damaged siding is all owned by the owner....not in common by all owners.

When you get in trouble is when there is a mess with insurance. When the hoa holds a policy and when the townhome sub-association holds a policy and when the homeowner holds a policy. And there is a storm. And for whatever reason there is that dispute about payment. (Perhaps, secretly on the side one of the first policies was really intended for something that might happen to all townhouses as a whole...say mass siding damage, most of the roofs being lifted off)

At any rate, try getting a judge to understand the townhouse community that decided to act as a condo. Whew.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:22 AM

Bummer and BorregoKid, o.k. so in the cases you're describing there is some kind of barrier that would prevent the kind of mess I am envisioning, either intentional or not. If that were the case then I don't have an issue, but Cully is giving an example of exactly what I don't want. A unit owned fee simple with a common roof with no definite barrier of any kind and a 'where is the leak? where does it go? and then 'who pays for it? not covered by HOA and the ensuing cluster%^&$^
Thanks, I will know to get a separate roof inspection if I find myself considering a townhome with an HOA that doesn't cover the roof, thanks one and all

Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
The fee simple townhouse can be like single family homes, which can be easier to get one's mind around. Say, the back edge of your single family home back yard is lower than it was 10 years ago. Can be a problem in the not to distant future. It is then found that is because of a runoff from a few neighbors' homes up hill. Even in an HOA (or not) something has to be figured out.

By the way, I know people in the situation I described forced to sue for one of the three insurance companies to pay up...that is one of the insurance companies they paid for nearly 30 years! Finally came to the judge. He was shocekd to hear about such a thing.

Another result was the amounts needed to pay for this legal action. Some had to be specially assessed from residents of the townhome sub-association. Some had to be asked for and received from the umbrella HOA. And still no resolution as to all the money paid for all these years with no good result.

BTW, jurisdictions are becoming more and more hands off on local law fighting HOA bylaws. So don't count on that as a resort.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
A house inspector will also inspect the roof. He will give you an opinion and if he thinks its suspect you will want to call a couple of roofers. The buildup roofs in general only last 20 years at most. If you look at the ceiling it wont take long to figure out if the roof has leaked. The water will always leave a stain or you can see if its been patched or if there is any bowing in the ceiling. I think with a flat roof leaks are fairly common.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:57 AM

Yes, I grew up the east and never saw a flat roof til I moved out west, never looked like a good idea to my uneducated eyes... I do think a flat roof slightly higher in the center with a rainwater catchment system, perhaps at the four corners is a good idea for the southwest, though, and try to keep an open mind, traditional building styles usually evolved for good reasons, even if they aren't apparent to me.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:43 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia44 View Post
Yes, I grew up the east and never saw a flat roof til I moved out west, never looked like a good idea to my uneducated eyes...
In areas that can get significant winter precipitation, peaked roofs are needed so that heavy snow and ice can shed off and not accumulate, in order to prevent the roof from caving in from the extra weight.

I would think a similar concept would be beneficial for heavy rain too, but eventually rain water would overflow on a flat roof and spill off by itself. I've seen many homes, particularly in the Phoenix area, that don't even have gutters, (which makes no sense to me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson