Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:35 PM

28 posts, read 58,269 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to the area. We like to take long walks and I like that I see many of the communities have walking trails. However, most of the trails seem to be out in the open and no shade. Does anyone know of any trails or parks with shade to go to in the summertime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I hiked on several of the bike trails in and around Tucson. I can't say I found much in the way of shade on the one's I was on. One was called the Rillito and another one was in Oro Valley, that went all the way to Tucson. Perhaps someone else will have more info on other trails in the area. I think shade is at a premium in Arizona to begin with, at least from Phoenix on down.

[orphaned]

Last edited by observer53; 11-08-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 AM

17 posts, read 34,241 times
You won''t find "tree lined" hiking/walking trails/paths in Tucson; it's a DESERT! There are some nicely treed parks where you can walk though. Two in Oro Valley would be Tohono Chul Park, and James D. Kriegh Park. You can also find lots of shade and a pleasant place to walk at the Tucson Botanical Gardens and the Tucson Zoo or Reid Park in Tucson. You mention walking in the "summertime" and I have to wonder about your reality level and expectations for living in the desert. Shade or not, walking outdoors in 110° plus weather can be dangerous and is ill-advised. I walk every day, for exercise, but in the summer it's before or after sunrise.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp701 View Post
You won''t find "tree lined" hiking/walking trails/paths in Tucson; it's a DESERT! There are some nicely treed parks where you can walk though. Two in Oro Valley would be Tohono Chul Park, and James D. Kriegh Park. You can also find lots of shade and a pleasant place to walk at the Tucson Botanical Gardens and the Tucson Zoo or Reid Park in Tucson. You mention walking in the "summertime" and I have to wonder about your reality level and expectations for living in the desert. Shade or not, walking outdoors in 110° plus weather can be dangerous and is ill-advised. I walk every day, for exercise, but in the summer it's before or after sunrise.
Thanks, xp701. Tohono Chul Park looks like a nice place to visit.
Yes, I realize it's a desert there, but when we lived in Phoenix we actually found a park in Scottsdale that had large shade trees for our summer walks, and I was looking for something comparable in Tucson.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:34 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Jean View Post
Thanks, xp701. Tohono Chul Park looks like a nice place to visit.
Yes, I realize it's a desert there, but when we lived in Phoenix we actually found a park in Scottsdale that had large shade trees for our summer walks, and I was looking for something comparable in Tucson.
I know the park you are thinking of in Scottsdale, but there's nothing really comparable in Tucson. Water sources and water use policies are different there, and greenbelts, etc., are just not found. Some of the above suggestions would be your best options, in morning and evening hours during summer.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I know the park you are thinking of in Scottsdale, but there's nothing really comparable in Tucson. Water sources and water use policies are different there, and greenbelts, etc., are just not found. Some of the above suggestions would be your best options, in morning and evening hours during summer.
Many thanks, observer53!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:25 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
Woodshade Linear Park in O-V.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:45 AM

Thanks, yellowbelle. I just looked up this park and I found someone posted a You Tube video of it. Looks nice!

Old 11-10-2013, 03:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Be advised about a couple of things that might be an issue to you. Tohono Chul is a private park run by a non-profit organization. You can have access to the restaurant, greenhouse, and shops without a membership but there's a fee for walking through the park ($10 for adults; an individual membership entitling an adult to unlimited access is $40/yr.) Woodshade Park is nice and is in lovely Rancho Vistoso (a development with exceptionally beautiful desert landscaping and designated walking paths), but it is in the far northern part of Oro Valley, about 15 miles from the University of Arizona.

One of the most heavily treed areas I know of in Tucson is historic Evergreen Cemetery. It's located on the west side of N. Oracle Road, north of Miracle Mile and south of Prince Road. Because of the greenery, it's quite a bird haven; I have even seen parrots in the trees there. Evergreen runs right into the newer Holy Hope Catholic Cemetery, which also has a lot of trees. I'm not sure, though, if there is any prohibition from using the cemeteries for fitness walks. There's nothing about it on their website. Perhaps someone else knows.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM

Thanks, Jukesgrrl. Good info - I definitely don't want to spend $10 to go for a walk . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson