Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 03:00 PM

42 posts, read 129,600 times

Advertisements

Usually I am lurking here searching for information for stories but this time it's real life.

My parents have been going out to Tuscon for a number of years. They are the typical Midwestern "snow birds" and just love it. I'm sure they have seen all the "touristy" places and have found some of the local attractions/activities/eateries, but probably only the well advertised or as far as eateries go something from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. So I am asking those of you that live out there for some advice.

What would you all consider Tucson's best unknown or under-known places to go? Whether it be food or entertainment, or scenery it doesn't matter. They like to stay in the city most of the time but have been up to Mt. Lemmon and do travel up to about 2 hours to sight see.

I know they have seen all the "Top 10" list places and by now probably the "Top 20". I'm looking for the ones that didn't make the lists because no one really knows about them.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 04:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I wish I had an answer for you. I post suggestions here sometimes, but they're never any places that are some big secret. I've lived in Tucson for eight years now and I have yet to eat any food item I haven't had a better one of in some other city. This is not a food town and anyone who says it is must not leave the state very often. I'm not saying all the food is terrible. I'm just saying it's not something to write home about.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:29 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
some second-tier places that are not bad:

DeGrazia Gallery In The Sun
Tohono Chul Park
the many museums at the UA
Pima Air and Space Museum
Catalina State Park
Gates Pass at sunset
Sanctuary Cove (very simple and quiet place)
and many other places I might add later....

first-tier being:

Desert Museum
San Xavier Mission
Sabino Canyon

and, though jukesgrrl is now legendary around here for excellent, cogent, savvy advice, I have to disagree that Tucson "is not a food town"!.....though the city is not wealthy, it seems there are many great food places of all types and most decent ones are packed on Fridays and Saturdays

Old 12-08-2013, 12:16 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Vivace has excellent food.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
2nd Tier "must sees":

Postal History Foundation
Saguaro National Monument (both parts)
Tucson Rodeo (February)
Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (February)
The "Graveyard" at the Air Force base
The mineralogy museum at the UA Science Museum (the rest of which is underwhelming)

Personally, I get rather tired of all the angst about the food in Tucson. There are a number of good eats in Tucson.

One of the unique things that you'll find in Tucson is the Sonoran Hot Dog. I wish that I had a specific recommendation but the one at the Pima Air Museum was quite excellent.

The menudo and Indian fry bread tacos at the San Xavier del Bac Mission is also very good.

I would also recommend Roadfood.com. I found them to be one of the most reliable sources of good local restaurants.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,357 times
I only come through occasionally, but I get cravings for Lucky Wishbone. The cocktail sauce is good on the chicken and fries, too. IMO, better Mexican food in Phoenix. Oh, and Brooklyn Pizza is great if you like real pizza, not the whole kitchen sink stuff they sell across the street. There is another small Italian franchise, whose name escapes me....Pecurio???? the pwner had to serve a little JT, but they had great salads and subs.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,470 times
A couple of restaurants worth mentioning Guadalajara Fiesta Grill on Kolb is pretty decent Mexican food which is prepared fresh. Its really popular. They make the salsa right at your table so you can order it mild, medium or hot. They have live music every night. Omars Hi-Way Grill at the TTT Truck Stop is pretty good. They dont cut any corners on the portions and it will remind you of how restaurants used to be. Omars has a 92% rating at Urban Spoon.

Throw a couple of chairs in the back of the car and a bottle of wine and drive up to Windy Point on Mt Lemmon. Enjoy the sunset and drive back down. Zona 78 on Tanque Verde is pretty decent for Italian food.

A trip to Ajo though the desert on Ajo Highway I have found to be pretty nice. Its about 90 miles to Ajo. Bring a couple of chairs and have a picnic out in the desert on the backside of the mine. Terrific views. You can get food to go at Olsens Supermarket.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,224 times
The Indian museum on Sells and lunch at the Desert a rain cafe in Sells shopping center. Ajo Az has museum and open pit mine and historic Plaza. Lunch at the Oasis Deli on the Plaza.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:42 PM

344 posts, read 550,974 times
If they are willing to extend their range, Velvet Elvis in Patagonia might be interesting, as well as Roka or Rosa's in Bisbee.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:53 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,455 times
Gee's Garden (1145 N Alvernon Way, just north of Speedway). Dim Sum every weekend. Love it. They role around carts filled with all kinds of great food. Don't come too early or you'll miss out on some of the more interesting dishes (you'll be too full to eat them by the time they're carted out).

Great dumplings, all sorts. Wonder duck. Nice pork and chicken. Lots of shrimp dishes. Veggies if you want, plus the usual soups, rices and stuff. Nice desert cart. Try the coconut bun. Yum.

Opens around 10 AM both days (check on the time). You'll go more than once. Oh, prices are very reasonable. My wife and I pig out and spend around $40 bucks minus tip. No alcohol for us, too early in the day. But beer would add to the bill.

Best,

Rich

PS
There are other good restaurants in Tucson, I'm just too lazy to mention them. Go on to either TripAdvisor or Yelp and you'll find a bunch of recommendations. I was raised in NYC and promise you that Tucson food is not too shabby. You just have to poke around a bit.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson