Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 04:17 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times

Advertisements

My wife and I took a ride from Green Valley into Sasabe today. This is a tiny town (ten people call it home now) that was supposed to be a major commercial border crossing between Mexico and the US with a new major highway being built from inside Mexico to the states. Speaking to a resident of the town, I was told that the Mexican government build this important artery FOUR times over the years. Problem is, there is no pavement. The money allotted for the road went into the pockets of corrupt government officials.

Swell.

At any rate, we wondered into the only store in town, the Sasabe Store. Nice lady, Debra, runs it. She’s fourth generation from that area and her family used to own the entire town.

If you should take a ride into Sasabe, stop by the store (she’s there every day but Tuesday’s, her shopping day).

Rich

Road from Arivaca to 286 that takes you to Sasabe.

My wife by sign in town.

The Sasabe Store.

A real wood burning oven for sale.

My wife at the front counter. We bought some stick matches for our charcoal BBQ fires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 PM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Thanks for this thread and info. Nice photos.

I'd love to take a day trip there.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Interesting.

Is there a crossing into Sasabe, Sonora?

Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 AM

There is a border crossing in Sasabe, a rather large facility. I believe it was built with the expectation of a major road being built coming out of Mexico, which never happened.

Rich

Old 12-24-2013, 01:51 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
When you're down there, visit the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge which is close by there too.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
When you're down there, visit the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge which is close by there too.
Yup. Went there to a "fair" a month or so ago. Photos below:

Got to pet a Gila Monster (lousy name for an interesting little lizard).

Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Hey Rich! Happy to see y'all are back in "my other world". I was last in Sasabe in the mid 1980s when Dad and I would go down there across the border to stock up on coffee and other supplies. There wasn't much there then and it sounds like there is even less now.

One of the things I most remember was a scene, on the west side of the highway, a couple miles north of town, and a quarter mile off the highway. It was an airplane "grave yard" with parts and pieces piled all over the place and each time we went down there, there would be a change in the amount. Being the nosey type I am, I decided to check out what and why. It turns out that some of the smugglers would fly in, crash land their plane, unload, abandon the plane, then get the outta dodge. The "graveyard" people were in on the deal (at that time) and would go out and salvage the plane, take it back to the business and using salvaged parts and pieces to build another plane and sell it to the smugglers and the cycle continued.

We accidently found a remote airstrip that was being used by those who flew in, and flew out, but that's another long story. Take care. formerly "Arkansas Slim"

Old 12-25-2013, 11:03 AM

Rich, have y'all heard about the ghost town of "Ruby", which is several miles southeast of Arivaca? It is/was the best preserved unoccupied ghost town in AZ and the last I heard it had been given to the AZ Historical Department and an effort was being made to restore it. I'm sorry all my stuff is dated, but I think it is worth passing on for those interested in the area. At one time Pima College gave guided tours of the town, including lunch. Maggie M. or maybe the people at the Arivaca Mercantile may be able to tell you if tours are still available. I was in there several times and took lots of photos, but unfortunately they are all 35mm slides so I can't post them here.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:13 AM

O.F., yes I've heard of Ruby. No idea as to it's current status. I will look it up, as the place is certainly close to where I'm at. If I go I promise to post pictures!!

Rich

Old 12-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
O.F., yes I've heard of Ruby. No idea as to it's current status. I will look it up, as the place is certainly close to where I'm at. If I go I promise to post pictures!!

Rich
Thanks Rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson