Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in the Marana AZ area and do you like the water there?
Would you live in Marana AZ? 5 50.00%
What do you think of the water in the Tucson area? 8 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 8,632 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if the water tasted bad near Tucson or Marana? And do you think it is in a good supply if reserved for only the nessary? We are planning to move here and need to investigate these things! Thank you, and please be serious and from this part of the state to answer. Again, thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 01:42 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,252,421 times
I've lived in five states and, to me, Tucson's water has the worst taste of anywhere I've lived. It's not merely because the water is "hard." I was raised in a place with very hard water that came from local wells.

This isn't a problem to me, however, because we have a refrigerator with filtered water and ice cube dispenser on the door. We only need to change the filter annually (although I'm sure people with children have to do it more often). The filtered water from the fridge tastes good and I just carry a glass of it into the bathroom once a day to have good tasting water there for when I take my vitamins, etc. I also put a glass of water beside my bed before I go to sleep for the night.

The state of Arizona is in a water pact with six other states that also get their primary water supplies from the Colorado River. As it stands now, there's not a lot of payback for water conservation in Tucson. We get our supply based on what we used the previous year. If we conserve, we will get less. That's why we experience virtually no pressure from our local governments to cut back on our water usage, even if that may be extremely unwise for the big picture.

Here is a brief history of the Colorado River Compact:
Colorado River Compact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This 2007 article details how the compact was renegotiated at that time:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/10/us/10water.html?_r=0

In 2010, a California Superior Court judge ruled that California had grossly violated the terms of the 2007 agreement by overusing its share of water in the Imperial Valley and he declared the agreement invalid. He also ruled that the current agreement should stay in effect until a new one is negotiated and while his ruling is under appeal. If any final agreements have been reached since then, I'm unaware of it.
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...act-limbo.html

The continuing growth of the population (especially in Metro Phoenix and Metro Las Vegas), exacerbated by the drought we appear to be facing in the near future, make resolution of this issue important.

A good source of information on water issues in general is Robert Glennon. He is the Morris K. Udall Professor of Law and Public Policy at the University of Arizona. His area of expertise is water policy and his books on the subject are excellent. He often appears at various places in Arizona to speak on the topic of protecting our water supply.
Here's a link to his website: Robert Glennon

Old 01-22-2014, 04:25 PM

44 posts, read 89,633 times
Wow, Jukesgrrl, great info!! I, too, have lived in hard water areas fed by local wells and I have to agree on the taste of Tucson's water. Blech. I do exactly what you do, take my water from the fridge for most everything. Fascinating history you offered...thanks for the research!

And Freckleblender, welcome to Tucson!

Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,264,225 times
I never drink City water anywhere right from the tap. Not in Arizona, and not in Oregon. Only filtered or boiled (like coffee) and I avoid fluoridation.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:46 AM

833 posts, read 1,705,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I've lived in five states and, to me, Tucson's water has the worst taste of anywhere I've lived. It's not merely because the water is "hard." I was raised in a place with very hard water that came from local wells.
When I moved here almost 20 years the water was OKish; apparently the disaster of mixing CAP water with ground water had just happened (busted pipes, rusty water, etc) and we were on pure well-water at that time.

Now, with the CAP water a component of our tap water, it is far worse than it used to be making a filter of some sort a necessity. Like Jukes, I typically drink from the filtered water in my fridge and believe me, it is quite apparent when that filer is used up and needs to be replaced!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 PM

299 posts, read 542,191 times
When I moved out west in 1979 from back east I was surprised how lousy the water tasted. Back east we drank water from the tap and my family back there still do. Later, I was told that the further west you go the lousier the water, can't remember why though. I lived in Sacramento for a year in the mid 80s-- water tasted like pond water with fish swimming in it, so that is when I switched to bottled water, and then in the 1990s I changed to faucet mount water filters. In LA (80s) I was served coffee and spit it out-- was told the tap water was what made it taste so terrible.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,252,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity1944 View Post
... In LA (80s) I was served coffee and spit it out-- was told the tap water was what made it taste so terrible.
I make all my coffee and tea using filtered water. It really improves the flavor. Also, I never get water in restaurants in Tucson unless they say it's filtered. Otherwise, I stick to club soda or bottled water (and I usually try to avoid bottles so not to add waste to the environment. But, to me, tap water in Tucson tastes too vile to drink straight.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:47 PM

250 posts, read 1,115,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I never drink City water anywhere right from the tap. Not in Arizona, and not in Oregon. Only filtered or boiled (like coffee) and I avoid fluoridation.

Interesting, I would of thought drinking water in Oregon would of been top notch... even as far east as The Dalles.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,632 times
Thank you so much for your replies, it eases my mind on moving down there. A filter is deffinately okay with us!! Thanks especially to Jukesgrrl. If you have anymore information about awesome restaurants or a great shopping place, please let us know too!!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:28 AM

41 posts, read 79,037 times
The water is fine. No taste. The water is hard however, lots of calcium. But that is not unusual. Jukesgrrl complains about everything, read the posts. Tucson is not where Jukesgrrl should live.

Restaurants here are great and varied. Everything you could want. Highly recommend El Charro. A great Mexican place that has great flavors. So many others. Shopping is very unique here too. You do not have to got to malls, their are man small independence business that are also eager for you business. Large town, small town feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson