Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:23 AM

12 posts, read 37,593 times

Advertisements

Looking at NW Phoenix area and Tucson Area for a place to buy/retire. I am sensitive to bad air, dust, and pollution. Can anyone tell me about the air quality in Saddlebrooke or Sun City, or Tucson area in general? We walk, ride bikes recreationally, swim, and like to stay out of a car. We live in Minnesota currently with an AQI of @25, which is good except for the freezing your lungs part. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:57 AM

299 posts, read 545,335 times
I lived in Phoenix for 20 yrs before moving to Tucson a few years ago. I left Phoenix because the bad air quality. I had retired, went browsing stores 5-7 days a week to get out of the house. Within 15-30 min of leaving the house my eyes, mouth and throat would burn & I would start coughing-- coughed until bedtime or the next AM even though I run air cleaners.

Before moving back to Tucson I did a few craft sales at a senior mobile home park in Sun City. They, of course, leave the doors open all day. After 4 hrs I got ill from the pollution getting into the clubhouse that I had to leave.

Tucson air is better than Phoenix. Wickenburg is the cleanest of the nearest cities I went to check out. There are days when we have the blowing dust so some wear a mask, I don't because it does not bother me except to cough a little until I get back into my apartment for a few hours.

Most people I know here (we have an environmental illness called multiple chemical sensitivity) prefer the northeast Tucson or northwest Tucson. Up in the foothils in Oct or Nov I had some discomfort (headache, sore throat, etc) - from woodburning fireplaces/ woodburning stoves.

I once read on the net somewhere that the air in only 25% of USA cities is safe to breathe.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:27 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Here's my TWO CENTS WORTH on this topic . . .

Due to my career, over the years I have lived in many places around this country as well as a few Island Nations in the Caribbean and, believe me, there is no perfect place to live.

With that being stated, one of the primary factors that made me decide to retire here is I firmly believe Tucson has the best weather overall as well as the best air quality. Notice I did not use the term perfect but . . .

Old 02-09-2014, 01:42 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Air Now....finding an AQI of below 25 on a consistent basis in AZ might be a challenge.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 AM

11 posts, read 65,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dTHEb View Post
Looking at NW Phoenix area and Tucson Area for a place to buy/retire. I am sensitive to bad air, dust, and pollution. Can anyone tell me about the air quality in Saddlebrooke or Sun City, or Tucson area in general? We walk, ride bikes recreationally, swim, and like to stay out of a car. We live in Minnesota currently with an AQI of @25, which is good except for the freezing your lungs part. Thank you.
We just moved to Saddlebrooke, got here last month. We have vacationed here and in all parts of Tucson for about 10 years. I have never had a problem with the air quality. Here in Saddlebrooke there are people outside walking, riding bikes, driving their golf carts all hours of the day and night. In addition there are 4 communities here, 3 are physically adjacent to each other Saddlebrooke (1 pool outdoor and 1 lap pool), Mountain View (1 pool), The Preserve (1 pool) and then Saddlebrooke Ranch (5 miles up Oracle Rd 1 indoor Olympic size, 1 beautiful outdoor pool partially covered). If you live in 1 of these you have access to all of them, it is like 1 huge resort. Other amenities in each community are a Club house, tennis courts, pickle ball courts, restaurant(s), bar(s), exercise facilities, golf course(s) and too many social clubs to mention. Saddlebrooke and the Ranch have billiard tables. There is also a softball field and theater for movies and live entertainment. I have probably overlooked some activities and facilities but this place is like heaven on earth to us. If you have any other questions about these communities please don't be shy about asking me, if I don't know the answer I will find out for you. I know this is a long rant about these communities but we are just loving retirement!!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 AM

41 posts, read 79,390 times
Air quality here is very good. Dust is a big problem, it is the desert. Dust usually does not get so bad as to cause breathing issues. Generally there is only a problem when there are high winds, which doesn't happen often. Here is more info on air quality here:

Air Info Now
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 02:44 AM..

Old 03-08-2014, 08:12 AM

12 posts, read 37,593 times
Thanks everyone for the information on air quality. Been looking in Texas and AZ. I'm traveling to TX in Apr to see 7 places in the San Antonio/Austin area. I think we will prefer the lower average Dew Points of the Tucson area though. We liked the Sun City Festival community West of PHX and just north of the White Tank Mountains. The air was pretty good there but looking at the massive planned development, and the new freeway that is on the drawing board I'm not sure it will stay that way. Saddlebrooke looks like a beautiful place to us. We are going to try and rent in Saddlebrooke for a month next winter and give it a try.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:36 AM

299 posts, read 545,335 times
I lived in San Antonio for 5 yrs in the 80s, loved the city but..... I have arthritis, my bones hurt every day (even my elbows and broken tailbone) the whole time I was there. Back then I rode my 3-speed and 12-speed bikes often in the early AM. for about 1/2 hr. My clothing was soaked from sweating - same as when I lived in Tampa FL. I am more comfortable in the dry heat. In San Antonio the humidity is often almost as high as the temps.

After San Antonio my husband and I moved to Sacramento. The first time I mowed the lawn there was this familiar odor, finally figured out what it was-- peppermint. I had not smelled peppermint or grass since I left Pittsburgh in 1979. In San Antonio, when walking past someone mowing a lawn, I smelled pesticides/chemicals. People out here (my observation/opinion) use way more pesticides than we did back east. Many spray inside and outside every month. I put baking soda around the perimeters of all my rooms and closets. Gets rid of roaches, spiders, ants, etc.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:22 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,838 times
This article just came out this week.

The Best and Worst Cities for Asthma Sufferers | Health

Tucson rated one of the best, Phoenix rated one of the worst.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:31 AM

114 posts, read 204,391 times
Dang, next to Google, there is no better on-line source for good information then RickTucsonHomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson