Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:18 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,539 times

Advertisements

+1, i think you nailed it.

i suspect the owners of rental places are looking at their options, which vary depending on if they own 100% or owe on the property. a non-performing asset is not something to keep in the portfolio, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
To focus on the OP's questions and real estate issues only...

This is especially true with regards to the rental market as many (if not most) military rent because they don't want to be saddled with a home when they get orders to go somewhere else.

Any replacement is going to be louder which will affect property values at either end of the runway and as far away as Rita Ranch and Vail.

Every city has a few industries it relies on; Tucson is no exception, but I think the degree to which we rely on military/government funds may be out of line. I don't think you can fault Tucson for taking advantage of what DM has to offer, but you certainly can blame Tucson for not reaching beyond that.

I don't see DM going away completely, the boneyard alone makes it unique, but it certainly could be scaled back considerably in the future.

I haven't been keeping up with rental prices, but I know I am finally able to sell my home without taking a big loss. Given my worries about the future of Tucson and the possibility of losing the A-10s I am more than happy to sell it now for a little less instead of waiting another year or two and hoping to get another 5-7%.

I do wonder what will happen to all of the investors if the rental market suddenly goes away. Will they try to sell off and kill the market for purchases as well or will they ride it out for a few years. Personally, I am hoping my place sells soon so I can just sit on the sideline and be nothing more than an observer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 12:08 AM

975 posts, read 1,404,968 times
Local leaders need to figure out a way to either keep the base open or figure out some other major employer to fill the void. If not, the local economy will be in big trouble.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:37 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Local leaders need to figure out a way to either keep the base open or figure out some other major employer to fill the void. If not, the local economy will be in big trouble.
you mean the same folks who turned away GCU, who are giving Rosemont problems, and who cant pay for modern street car project. we have our expectations at that level. its far too late to plan for the demise of DMAFB, that should have been done ~10yrs ago. here's my suggestion, stop wasting $$ to send ron barber to dc to cry and beg.

lets see, whats the probability Tucson gets the battery plant for Tesla?

but hey, lets not think forward, there's a gazillion acres of open lands, why not get into the solar biz?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson