Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

One more thing for the OP. I would strongly recommend that no matter where you choose to live that you see how long the commute will be. Some short commutes in Tucson take forever ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 07:13 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
if you can manage logistically, think about staying in a medium/long-term hotel/motel (one that is designed for longer stays with a small kitchenette and studio) for a few weeks and spend your off-time checking out areas and specific apartments and getting used to the feel before committing to a place.....

look for commute time, nearby walking/biking trails if into that, access to necessary businesses and culture, etc.....watch out for weird neighbors, noisy complexes, maintenance "feel", management quality, parking concerns, weekend partying.....

the comments on Tucson "lifestyle" here in the thread are excellent.....we don't dress up, the city is generally not at all wealthy, architecture is definitely "desert"-style, building density is very low (cheaper to build out than up), few trees and greenery, a little rough around the edges

but you'll love the low humidity (except when it goes away in July and August for our much-anticipated summer rainy season), striking clear air and sunsets, big mountains next door for recreation, unpretentious and usually-friendly people, unusually high amount of excellent restaurant options for such a poor town

no daylight savings time!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:00 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Spot suggested Sahuarita but I would disagree. Not in terms of distance, many people who work at Raytheon live there or in Vail. But he is a recent college grad looking to make friends with people his age. He thought maybe Continental Ranch was too "middle-aged" for him. I would agree that all those places are. Even if he has to commute a little farther, I suspect he would trade that for living in a place with mostly families or retirees.
Good point. Sahuarita is a nice town, but the OP might find it a little boring.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 11,506 times
I recommend the NW side of Tucson. It is a commute, but worth it.

Tucson is great, friendly, very open community. You have to embrace it.

Not easy to live in 5 months of HEAT.

Have fun!

Old 06-13-2014, 11:14 PM

153 posts, read 220,358 times
Dear OP. Welcome or soon welcom to Tucson. Where you want to live is based a lot on what you like to do. Personally I wouldnt live in most of those apartments you listed if they were free. But hey that's just me. I need a place with a soul. I will reply to what you have.

1. Julian Drew Block - Tucson Arizona Apartments - Homepage - The Flats at Julian Drew Block
Pros: Location, pretty great location if you want downtown night-life drining etc
Cons: Way more expensive than they should be.

2. La Entrada - La Entrada Apartments - Home
Pros: Location is kinda alright but further from anything to do than you would think.
Cons: A bit too far for a normal walk and too terrible traffic to bother driving.

3. The Condos at Williams Centre - Tucson Arizona Apartments - Home - Condominium at Williams Centre
Pros: I honestly can't think of any
Cons: Almost no culture nearby, very little to do in walking distance. semi-eastside Tucson feel which means again no culture. Also being in sector 4 of TPD your average wait time for any report will be well over an hour. If its a life threatening emergency I have seen waits of over a half hour.

4. The Springs at Contintental Ranch - Tucson Arizona Apartments - Home - Springs At Continental Ranch
Pros: Closer to grocery stores and typical suburban stuff I'm used to. Nice pool. If that is what you like this is true.
Cons: Further away from Raytheon. Might be too many middle-aged married couples living there for me to make new friends? ALso thi sis not in Tucson and is a transient neighborhood meaning there will be nearly nothing local and most people merely go there for shopping.

5. The Springs at Silverbell - The Springs at Silverbell Apartments in Tucson, AZ
Pros: Slightly closer than Continental Ranch.
Cons: same as previous

6. One North Fifth - one north fifth : new. modern. urban. apartments.
Pros: Awesome looking modern apartments! Location is great. This is true they are kind of rundown in teh hallways and there are no separate bedrooms so keep that in mind.
Cons: Pricey. All the new "lofts" that have gone up downtown are much more expensive than houses in the area. I would consider them if you want a downtown apartment feel but not for something permanent or long term.

7. Academy Lofts - www.academylofts.com
Pros: Great looking apartments. Location. Pretty good size apartments.
Cons: Same as previous only further out

8. Encantada - Encantada at Riverside Crossing | Luxury Apartment Homes in Tucson, AZ
Pros: Look super nice. Close to bike trails.
Cons: Expensive.
You hit the nail on teh head with that one. Also you will have to drive if you want to do anything there.

SO here is my two cents on what you should do. First I need to know what you like. If you like suburbs and apartments then go for it personally I can't stand them. Houses are cheaper than apartments in Tucson, this has always been the case yet I constantly have friends tell me otherwise as they are moving in to their far away 900 a month places while I sit in north university in a two bedroom house with a yard for 475. The most expensive house I rented was 850 but it was a 4 bedroom the most expensive for size was a one bedroom in a courtyard for 550. I have never spent less on an apartment. Plus they are generic thin walls noisy neighbors the whole thing. If you ask me get a single family home in west uiniversity, Feldman, Armory Park, Pie Allan, Iron Horse, if you want young walkable bars and nightlife but with quit streets in the neighborhoods. I live just north of west university in a neighborhood that is cheaper but a little further of a walk but I am 34 and don't need the proximity I used to and prefer the cheaper price.

If you want any information on night life let me know what you are in to

Old 06-18-2014, 01:34 AM

3 posts, read 7,437 times
I would love to know more about the night life: hitting the bars, food, and night activities. I actually just landed in Tucson and will be starting my search for apartments tomorrow. I have a roommate so we'll be looking for apartments with 2 bedroom/bathrooms. The price range seems pretty decent, starting at 800 and topping off at 1000 before utilities.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:11 AM

153 posts, read 220,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesise View Post
I would love to know more about the night life: hitting the bars, food, and night activities. I actually just landed in Tucson and will be starting my search for apartments tomorrow. I have a roommate so we'll be looking for apartments with 2 bedroom/bathrooms. The price range seems pretty decent, starting at 800 and topping off at 1000 before utilities.
Its summer so most of the stuff is just plain dead but take a stroll down 4th ave. Tomorrow night is optimist club at Club Congress if you are in to dancing. Otherwise check out ches for cheap strong drinks, sky bar for astronomy drinks and mr heads for who knows what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson