U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,399 times

Advertisements

I know that motel when I was a teen we would sneek and go skinny dipping in the pool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 02:01 PM

21 posts, read 80,219 times
I first stayed at the Spanish Trails Motel in 1979, and I last stayed there in 1989, I think it was. I stayed there when visiting Tucson from NYC. It was especially nice at the earlier time, tho not like it was in its earlier yet heyday, as i've been told. I recall meeting the mayor of Key Largo, FL who was staying there too. It was nice and inexpensive - $79 a week, I think - and convenient and had an olympic-sized swimming pool and was just a short walk away from a very good Mexican restaurant, Micha's, which is still there. The Spanish Trails is still there, too, sort of. For many years now it has been operating as a semi-occupied SRO dwelling.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 PM

76 posts, read 91,313 times
I lived in the Spanish Trails Motel in 1998. It was not a motel at the time, but it sure was cheap!

I was working as an instructional pilot out at Ryan Airfield for Lufthansa. It was not the safest place to return to after dark. It sounds like it was much nicer in decades past.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:20 PM

4,723 posts, read 7,027,994 times
Back in the early 90's we'd stay at the Smuggler's. Also the Ghost Lodge. Never stayed at Spanish Trails, but if it's the same type, I would have loved it. Now, everything is homogonized, sanitary and uniform. No real character unless you're willing to pay big bucks for "ambience".

Old 04-04-2010, 11:58 AM

32,312 posts, read 26,181,848 times
the spanish trail motel was one place i wanted to work at when it was open, never got the chance though. i did work at the ghost ranch lodge for a few weeks to help a friend out.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishtrail View Post
If you have any memories or pictures also visit my website as well. I am looking for pictures too.

This forum is about the famous Spanish Trail Hotel and Motel in Tucson Arizona. I actually lived on the property back in the late 60’s early 70’s. Since I could not find any information about this resort, I decided to start a little history of this facility so that others could enjoy a taste of Tucson and Hollywood from the 70’s. My late father Jerry Durbin Sr. was the head chef at the Spanish Trails restaurant and my late mother Carolyn was a waitress there as well. For some reason, the professional staff was able to live in duplex housing north of the main hotel. This property today is a steel production yard. In fact most of the northern side of the resort is completely gone. There used to be a golf course, lagoon, running track and a cactus garden. This place was super in its day. It was where the movie stars and rich and famous lived or visited while working at Old Tucson movie studio. I would see John Wayne to Michael Landon on a daily basis. The best part of this resort was the dinner show lounge. It was in the large round building in the front by the highway. I saw many dinner shows from Rusty Warren to Ernie Menehune. My mother provided me and my little brother Jerry Jr unlimited Shirley Temples drinks and we partied like rock stars. My little brother Jerry was able to party with many stars and he was very popular with the Hawaiian dancing girls. This facility was own by a rich man named Mr. Adler. He lived behind us in a nice home on the property by the train tracks. Nothing remains of his home, it doesn’t even look like anyone ever lived there in fact. This facility had an Olympic swimming pool with a high dive board. You will not see that again.
COMMENT FROM SOMEONE THERE: I worked at the Spanish Trail (I was in a band from Mexico City) I think in 1975 for 3-4 weeks. I will try to find some old photos but I am undergoing a house remodel so in chaos-- but, I remember this: while there, there was a guy who kept coming in night after night and told us he was Neil Diamond...we didn't know...it is dark, he kind of looked like a dissipated ND maybe...he told us he was going to take us in his plane on our day off...so the band sat around that morning all excited...and then realized we were so stupid...stupid American BS for the Mexicans....also some patrons didn't like us because we were playing progressive Latin Jazz Rock (we had an excellent Brazilian percussionist and a smokin' keyboard player from San Diego) and did not know country music like Tie a Yellow Ribbon..they would ask and ask for that all night...the only thing we knew sort of country was "Orange Blossom Special" so we would play it every night.... the hotel was cool, but the entertainment experience was horrible...i think our booking agent has died..... maybe from shame...

Last edited by janiceprestwick; 07-10-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,383 times
Default Spanish Trails memories

I have very fond memories of the Sanish Trails Motel from 1973-74. My cousin and I danced on stage with Ernie Menehune. His hula dances were a set of twins. They taught us hula. we did the Aloha Week Hula. I have pictures but they are not good quality.

Our families would drive in from Paradise Valley in Phoenix. I remember the olympic size swimming pool and high dive. My cousin double dog dared me to jump/dive off..........I jumped in feet first.

We also had our share of Shirley Temples and plenty of green olives from the bar.

It is a shame that the property is in such disrepair.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,304 times
Default Spanish Trail Motel

I had stayed there on many occasions in the 60's, 70's and 80's!
Loved that place. So many fond memories of it and the folks that ran it.
I had my whole traveling sales crew stay there from time to time!
~Smokey Townson
Clearwater,m FL

Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,217 times
Hello:

I'm writing from the ABC station in Tucson.

We're working on a story on the old motel and would like to talk to some of you about your memories and experiences.

Would you give our news room a call and ask for Kevin?: 520-290-7700

Thank you.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,341 times
Default Journalism student of UA

Hi there!

I am a journalism student at the University of Arizona, and I am now writing a story about the Spanish Trail buildings. Is there anyone can talk to me about this??

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or