U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 8,215 times
Default Remembering Spanish Trail Motel

If you have any memories or pictures also visit my website as well. I am looking for pictures too.

This forum is about the famous Spanish Trail Hotel and Motel in Tucson Arizona. I actually lived on the property back in the late 60s early 70s. Since I could not find any information about this resort, I decided to start a little history of this facility so that others could enjoy a taste of Tucson and Hollywood from the 70s. My late father Jerry Durbin Sr. was the head chef at the Spanish Trails restaurant and my late mother Carolyn was a waitress there as well. For some reason, the professional staff was able to live in duplex housing north of the main hotel. This property today is a steel production yard. In fact most of the northern side of the resort is completely gone. There used to be a golf course, lagoon, running track and a cactus garden. This place was super in its day. It was where the movie stars and rich and famous lived or visited while working at Old Tucson movie studio. I would see John Wayne to Michael Landon on a daily basis. The best part of this resort was the dinner show lounge. It was in the large round building in the front by the highway. I saw many dinner shows from Rusty Warren to Ernie Menehune. My mother provided me and my little brother Jerry Jr unlimited Shirley Temples drinks and we partied like rock stars. My little brother Jerry was able to party with many stars and he was very popular with the Hawaiian dancing girls. This facility was own by a rich man named Mr. Adler. He lived behind us in a nice home on the property by the train tracks. Nothing remains of his home, it doesnt even look like anyone ever lived there in fact. This facility had an Olympic swimming pool with a high dive board. You will not see that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 09:08 AM

42,846 posts, read 53,316,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishtrail View Post
If you have any memories or pictures also visit my website as well. I am looking for pictures too.

This forum is about the famous Spanish Trail Hotel and Motel in Tucson Arizona. I actually lived on the property back in the late 60s early 70s. Since I could not find any information about this resort, I decided to start a little history of this facility so that others could enjoy a taste of Tucson and Hollywood from the 70s. My late father Jerry Durbin Sr. was the head chef at the Spanish Trails restaurant and my late mother Carolyn was a waitress there as well. For some reason, the professional staff was able to live in duplex housing north of the main hotel. This property today is a steel production yard. In fact most of the northern side of the resort is completely gone. There used to be a golf course, lagoon, running track and a cactus garden. This place was super in its day. It was where the movie stars and rich and famous lived or visited while working at Old Tucson movie studio. I would see John Wayne to Michael Landon on a daily basis. The best part of this resort was the dinner show lounge. It was in the large round building in the front by the highway. I saw many dinner shows from Rusty Warren to Ernie Menehune. My mother provided me and my little brother Jerry Jr unlimited Shirley Temples drinks and we partied like rock stars. My little brother Jerry was able to party with many stars and he was very popular with the Hawaiian dancing girls. This facility was own by a rich man named Mr. Adler. He lived behind us in a nice home on the property by the train tracks. Nothing remains of his home, it doesnt even look like anyone ever lived there in fact. This facility had an Olympic swimming pool with a high dive board. You will not see that again.
Unfortunately, I don't think anybody on this forum remembers those days... Perhaps your post will get some lurkers out of hiding!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 8,161 times
Default Spanish Trail

Yes, I remember the Spanish Trail and the great shows (specifically, I remember Ernie Menehune's Polynesian Revenue and the Korean Kittens). My music teacher, Orlain Porter played the organ in the lounge in the 1966-1970 timeframe. I have many great memories of going to the Spanish Trail. It's depressing to see how the property has deteriorated from its former greatness.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:18 PM

266 posts, read 867,207 times
That's the one right by I-10 right? I like the sign, the Tucson band Calexico has a promo photo of themselves below it. Would have been a cool sight if is kept up while I was living there.

Thanks for the bit of history!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 15,386 times
My dad was transferred to Tuscon in 1962 because of his aerospace job and we stayed at the Spanish Trail Motel for a whole month while we looked for a house there (all on relocation expenses from his work). I was 10 yrs old and it was WONDERFUL and will never forget it. Swimming in the pool everyday and eating in the restaurant there. We also saw two shows there, Nancy Wilson, the singer and a hypnotist show that was great. Wish so much it still existed as it was then. Never will be anything like it again.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 15,386 times
Wish there were several pictures of the motel in the early 1960s....the rooms, pool, restaurant and just the whole motel during those years. Would be great to see it again.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:09 AM

2,916 posts, read 5,012,186 times

Spanish Trail Motel Sign

Spanish Trail Registration Building

Dad wrote in his diary for June 11, 1939:

In Tucson, we stopped at the Spanish Trail Motel a marvelous place new, clean, excellently furnished, fine bathroom, a little kitchen with electric stove and electric refrigerator,
And marvel of marvels, the whole little Spanish cottage was air-conditioned with an individual little cooler that is known hereabouts as a desert cooler. Heaven wont be any more welcome than this little motel cottage was.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:54 PM

474 posts, read 671,191 times
Did you mean Nancy Wilson from Heart? That can't have been in 1962.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:47 PM

2,916 posts, read 5,012,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellringer View Post
Did you mean Nancy Wilson from Heart? That can't have been in 1962.
No, not that Nancy Wilson. THIS Nancy Wilson (http://missnancywilson.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemi d=26 - broken link).

Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 7,266 times
Just came back from Tombstone (Sept 6, 2009) and saw they are demolishing the Spanish Trails Motel. It looked like it used to be so cool! I would love to see pictures from any of the time periods mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson