Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 07:25 PM

54 posts, read 73,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity1944 View Post
A friend of mine in Phoenix made raised boxes in his back yard, high enough that he does not have to bend down. He grows various veggies and herbs. He has tomatoes which grow good but some people have said it's hard to grow good tomatoes in Phoenix, Tucson.

In case we decide to live in a house, we will dfinitely try to grow some veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 07:43 PM

We are getting ready for our big move. we hope to be yur new neighbor within the next three to four months. We are not planning to buy just yet and we have not decided on wether we will rent a house or apartment, not sure if there are high rise condos. Our goal is to live in a good area, gated community if possible, access to a pool, and safe to have walks and bike in the early evening, near your top schools, entertainment and a good driving distance to the airport area.

We read nice things about tanque verde, oro, foothills, sahuarita(sorry if i got that wrong), and several other nice areas in your city...with a budget of 1000 to 1200, what can we afford and where wouldit be? If we can nit accomplish our goal with this budget, what would be the right budget? We know that this is a matter of personal choice, but please do not hesitate to share your opinion. We welcome everyone's opinion.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:23 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junyces View Post
We are getting ready for our big move. we hope to be yur new neighbor within the next three to four months. We are not planning to buy just yet and we have not decided on wether we will rent a house or apartment, not sure if there are high rise condos. Our goal is to live in a good area, gated community if possible, access to a pool, and safe to have walks and bike in the early evening, near your top schools, entertainment and a good driving distance to the airport area.

We read nice things about tanque verde, oro, foothills, sahuarita(sorry if i got that wrong), and several other nice areas in your city...with a budget of 1000 to 1200, what can we afford and where wouldit be? If we can nit accomplish our goal with this budget, what would be the right budget? We know that this is a matter of personal choice, but please do not hesitate to share your opinion. We welcome everyone's opinion.
If you use TARMLS-Property Search you can set your search parameters for between $1000 and $1200. In that price range there are 358 homes for rent. I saw two in the Sabino High School attendance area. One was right next to Tanque Verde and shopping while another was on a one acre lot near the high school but a couple miles or more from stores.

If you use the same criteria with Craigslist you will get 900 listings. Some the same but others directly from the owner rather than through a Realtor.

tucson housing - craigslist

Old 09-07-2014, 09:53 AM

612 posts, read 1,020,356 times
Quote:
Is it more practical to drive an suv in tucson or regular cars work? Most people drive trucks, suv's than cars?
Cars are fine. People do drive trucks and SUVs pretty often, but that's just a matter of preference rather than necessity.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:32 AM

Please forgive me, this question may be silly, just curious as to what is the normal dress code is, if you will in tucson?

Old 09-26-2014, 11:36 AM

Another potential silly question, is it posible to quantify the typical job some one from tucson would be doing? Curious about the type of employers and available work that is out there in general.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:40 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Please forgive me, this question may be silly, just curious as to what is the normal dress code is, if you will in tucson?

very, very casual....nobody here dresses to impress and if they do, people snicker and point.....of course, wear what you like to wear.....many very professional businesses do not require their male employees to wear ties (though, of course, jackets and ties are worn for important occasions and very official business)....

Old 09-26-2014, 11:42 AM

833 posts, read 1,711,895 times
Quote:
Do you mean for work or when out on the town?

Either way, Tucson is VERY casual. Jeans/shorts and a t-shirt will work in 90% of the restaurants; upgrade the shirt to something with a collar and you are fine in about 95% of the places. I'd say there's maybe 10 or 20 restaurants I would really want to wear slacks/dockers and a button-down shirt to.

When it comes to work, every place is different, but again, casual rules. Typical office attire will be dockers and a polo or button-down shirt, with very few places being suit oriented.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:15 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
The two most prevalent jobs seem to be working in health care and call centers. Tucson is the only place I have ever been that almost invariably when I go to the grocery store I will see someone shopping in hospital scrubs. It seems like everyone wears them in the health care profession. The other job that is pretty common is working in a call center. I live near Kolb and Speedway. Geico has a pretty big call center there as does another insurance company. They are open 24-7 and have expanded in the past couple of years. The workers dress professionally with slacks, skirts, etc. and are clean cut.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:30 PM

612 posts, read 1,020,356 times
Quote:
Another potential silly question, is it posible to quantify the typical job some one from tucson would be doing? Curious about the type of employers and available work that is out there in general.
By the numbers it's defense industry work (Raytheon), education (the University of Arizona), or working for either the city or the county governments. There is a lot of call center work as well - I'm not sure what the total numbers are but I don't think it matches with the other industries.

Quote:
As already mentionied, the office dress code and standards when out and about are typically very casual. The normal "Tucson" look for men is jeans and a casual button-up shirt with short sleeves. For ladies it is either a skirt or shorts and some degree of sleeveless top. Out of the office the men's jeans are usually traded out for shorts and flip-flops. If an office has a dress code it is usually business casual, almost never a jacket and tie situation except for the occasional person-to-person sales job.

Tucsonans also have a curious obsession with wearing University of Arizona apparel - it feels almost like a cult sometimes with everybody sporting the same colors and the same logos. I have never seen such a cohesive fan base, and I spent 10 years in Pittsburgh, a town with a reputation for unhealthy sports team obsession. If you are ever at an airport and are not sure of your gate, just look around for the big, red "A" logo hats and shirts worn by people with sun-weathered skin and there you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson