Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:45 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times

Advertisements

Good information, Serenity . . . I have only ridden my Bicycle in and around that complex checking out the Garage / Estate Sales on weekends while on my way to Starbucks. The homes have always appeared clean and well maintained but I have been inside any of them.

Although not a 55 Plus, possibly a Patio Home similar to where I live would be an option. Fairly small complex (about 60 units), Single Level, Two or Three Bedrooms with Two Baths (1200 to 1400 sq ft) plus a Full Two Car Garage and every bit as conveniently located as that Mobile Home Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 7,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Unfortunately, Ms Idaknow . . . the PERFECT PLACE TO LIVE has not been invented yet.

Try concentrating on the positives and push the negatives to the rear of your mind. There are a number of very nice "senior communities" in and around Tucson. In fact, there's a 55 Plus Mobile Home Park within blocks of me (River Road just East of Oracle) which is literally walking distance to just about everything.

For the record . . . although a huge improvement over North Dakota, be prepared as Tucson is not a Tropical Paradise with Bikini Weather during the Winter Months.

GOOD LUCK and WELCOME to Southern Arizona.
Glad to hear not so stifling hot in the winter months, I don't think I have enough years left to get into Bikini shape.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 PM

Sure do appreciate all the information coming in for my post. It helps a lot!

I was terrified of moving so far away really knowing no one in the area, but sounds like a lot have and do okay.

Any other thoughts please feel free to post, I'm listening!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
You must jump over to the "Single men and single women retiring alone to a different state" in the Retirement Forum. There you will find pages and pages of just what you are looking for !!!

I will check it out. New to the site as you can tell, all tips are appreciated and helpful. Thank you!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity1944 View Post
I am 70 yo, retired female, lived in Phoenix for 20 years before moving back to Tucson. I have physical issues too, can't go back to Pittsburgh where my family is because I can't take that weather anymore. I use a cane, walker and a mobility scooter here, would be completely dependent if I went back there.

In Phx I lived in two 55+ mobile home parks-- loved it as they have a pool and activities, did not feel alone. There are plenty of senior centers but the majority are older. I loved Phx but left because the pollution was irritating my lungs - eyes, mouth, throat burning, coughed every time I left the house, have 6 air cleaners which helped. The air is cleaner in Tucson.

You should be okay to relocate as long as you are near hospitals and stores, preferably in an apt complex with mostly older people. Great if they have a pool-- in the evenings I sat around the pool and talked with residents. The residents take daily walks around the community and chat with each other, form friendships. Depending on your income, if you decide to come here, I can give you the names of a few townhouse communities where I have been watching to buy. Neighbors usually can give you names of people they hire and trust for repairs, yard work, etc.

Also, if you don't want to be locked into a rental lease, where I live might be good for you. It is independent living, single level, solid block, no roaches, safe. Our facility is nationwide, we are the only location in Tucson that is single level, only 64 apts, no assisted living here. My 2 bedroom apt is 1,300 sq ft, large patio. Our leases are 30 days, so you would be free to move should you find a place more to your liking. They have some activities in the club house. People are friendly here, staff treats us good. Meals can be delivered should you have the flu, other.

One of our residents always goes to the dining room for meals, the staff knows our routines. When she did not show up for breakfast the kitchen manager and a server went to her apt to check on her. The resident fell the night before, could not get up, did not have her life alert necklace on her, layed there helpless all night. Staff made her stay there while they called an ambulance. She was taken to a hospital to be checked out. Our van brought her back here (no charge).

Included in our rent are utilities, meals, laundry, Life Line, maid service, van that takes residents to stores, doctors, etc. I have a pickup but last year joined our city handicapped transportation for times when I can't drive (surgery for instance) and it's our driver's day off.

I lived in East Mesa in the early 90s. The 55+ neighborhoods have activities. But me and a number of others who lived there found those women to be snobs, cliquish. Men and married couples seemed to make friends right off. I like Sun City better (on the west side), and they have their own van service also but SC is more expensive than the Mesa 55+ communities. I am talking about Dreamland and Velda Rose. The other 55+ communities are the pricey ones that are just about everywhere.
Thank you, all this information is being processed, re-read and will be extremel helpful in making my decision. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Any more information, I'm all "eyes".

Old 08-24-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I would certainly be looking very hard at Sun City in Phoenix because of the overall population and very low taxes plus they have a very large supply of affordable homes and they have a large hospital and medical complex in the middle. In your situation Sun City could be your first, second, and third choices. I cant link to any houses for sale but its possible to buy a house for $60000 or less The taxes are ridiculously low at about $500 a year or less. Almost everything around Tucson is going to be more expensive and less convenient than Sun City.
I've been up to Phoenix, the 1st Sun City area, coming from a big city I think I would prefer to try a slower pace which I've heard Tucson offers. I've also heard the weather is a little less hot in that area. After so many years of freezing, baking sounds good but I'm sure after awhile gets a little tiring as well. I do like the idea of cooler mornings and evenings.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, pass them on, I do appreciate all the feed back. It helps to hear from the people who live in Az already. Thank you!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,528 times
Just a suggestion, why don't you look for a furnished snow bird rental during the winter months? This way you can have the warmer winters, and live amongst family during the good weather of ND?

If you decided to live in Sun City, everyone looks out for one another.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:08 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity1944 View Post
thinkalot: are you talking about Phoenix Sun City, Sun City West, SC Grand combined etc? or Sun City Tucson? I've been to Sun City Phx many times, a friend lives in Sun City West and they have 2 pools (1 indoors, the other outside). Sun City south of Bell Rd has a pool around Peoria St and one at W Bell Rd next to the visitor's center.
Sun City not West, Grand, or any others. The original.

There are pools on Peoria at Fairway Rec Center, Mountain View Rec Center, on Mountain View, Sundial Rec Center on Boswell, Bell Rec Center on 99th, Oakmont Rec Center on 10?, and Marinette Rec Center (closed for remodeling) on 99th, and Lakeview Rec Center on Thunderbird.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 PM

99 posts, read 246,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Idaknow View Post
Sure do appreciate all the information coming in for my post. It helps a lot!
I was terrified of moving so far away really knowing no one in the area, but sounds like a lot have and do okay. Any other thoughts please feel free to post, I'm listening!
I don't think you mentioned what price range you would be looking at if you were to think about buying a home here in Arizona. This may be too personal, but it would help.

There are manufactured homes in a 55+ community for under $100K (HighLands in Oro Valley). There are condos and townhomes in the same price range between Tucson and Green Valley. If you were able to extend the price range to the mid $100's, there are numerous homes for sale.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Idaknow View Post
I've been up to Phoenix, the 1st Sun City area, coming from a big city I think I would prefer to try a slower pace which I've heard Tucson offers. I've also heard the weather is a little less hot in that area. After so many years of freezing, baking sounds good but I'm sure after awhile gets a little tiring as well. I do like the idea of cooler mornings and evenings.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, pass them on, I do appreciate all the feed back. It helps to hear from the people who live in Az already. Thank you!

A lot of the older parts of Green Valley would work for you. There are condos from $40-80k in the area where the average age of the community is 72.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson