U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:59 PM

31 posts, read 127,118 times

Advertisements

I didn't want to live in the heart of Tucson, but was wondering what nice places are in the outskirts, I have been trying to research Oro Valley, but it's hard to find much information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 10,512 times
Default Oro Valley

Hi, I just moved here five weeks ago from California. Oro Valley is a newer community than other parts of Tucson that I looked at. It is clean, beautiful here. That was one of the reasons I liked it. The view of the Catalina Mountain range is incredible any time of day. The people here seem very nice. I like my neighbors and the house that I choose. Oro Valley is at an elevation of around 2650 so it does get cold. I walked outside into my back yard the day after Christmas to find my swimming pool had frozen over. The one thing that I can not adjust to however is the driving conditions and traffic. Everything is on a grid so you move at the Mersey of the traffic to get a few miles down the road. I hate the driving here. Rent before you buy. I wished I had down that. Good Luck!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:49 PM

713 posts, read 1,248,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymangirl View Post
Hi, I just moved here five weeks ago from California. Oro Valley is a newer community than other parts of Tucson that I looked at. It is clean, beautiful here. That was one of the reasons I liked it. The view of the Catalina Mountain range is incredible any time of day. The people here seem very nice. I like my neighbors and the house that I choose. Oro Valley is at an elevation of around 2650 so it does get cold. I walked outside into my back yard the day after Christmas to find my swimming pool had frozen over. The one thing that I can not adjust to however is the driving conditions and traffic. Everything is on a grid so you move at the Mersey of the traffic to get a few miles down the road. I hate the driving here. Rent before you buy. I wished I had down that. Good Luck!
because there is no major light-free roads to move traffic from one side to the other (north/south or east/west, etc). other than I-10 and some of the roads extending west of I-10, almost every road has lights that cause traffic to be slow. the only remedy is to create some major pass-through roads (aka highways, etc). this however may be almost impossible as many residents will claim it takes away from the city charm, etc. tucson will never be like phoenix. phoenix has lots of highway type of roads (101, 202, squaw peak, etc, etc) that move traffic. I-10 gets folks around tucson, but there is nothing to get folks through tucson. as example, if you live on NE side of town there is no way quickly get to I-10. if say i was going from pantano/wrightstown to say avre valley road i would have to either take light ridden river or sunrise to I-10, or take kolb/golflinks/ajo to I-10, etc. either way there are lots of lights. tucson needs a light-free inner loop, which i dont think will ever happen. poor road planning from the get-go, shame on them.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,670 times
Many parts of Oro Valley are great. It retains that country, small town feel while still being in the middle of the big city so to speak. Lots of areas are still horse property and in my neighborhood everyone is on an acre plus. The living in Oro Valley is laid back and some of the best in the Tucson. I've been in the Tucson area since '61 so I have a good opinion on this. I personally love it here other than the town governing body and entrenched government employees. But we won't go into that nightmare...

Old 12-29-2007, 12:29 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,131,655 times
I lived in NW Tucson and worked out in Oro Valley. I loved it. It's new, nice, and clean. It's a little more pricey because if I am not mistaken, the income rate is higher for the families out there....but all in all, you should enjoy Oro Valley-it's still close to things, not too far of a drive!

Old 12-29-2007, 12:39 PM

31 posts, read 127,118 times
Thanks for the input!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:59 AM

15 posts, read 70,892 times
Hello
I asked about Green Vally in a post and only got one reply,do you have any knowledge or feelings?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:15 AM

30 posts, read 126,740 times
Default Oro Valley

You got a lot of personal info on Oro Valley, and I agree with most all of it. Yes, traffic is not good, but once you live here and drive around, you should start to discover the "back roads" way of getting to and from places. The main road in Oro Valley is Oracle rd, which is also called highway 77. That alternate name alone points to the reason for most of the traffic. This is the one main road connecting Tucson to the neighboring cities and towns to the north (besides the I-5 freeway)
Another poster mentioned the "entrenched government employees".... well, from one of those employees, I have for you a town web site so you can read up a little on the town dynamics for yourself.
Welcome!

Welcome to the Town of Oro Valley

Old 01-12-2008, 10:10 AM

5 posts, read 18,058 times
Wife and I just got back from exploring the areas above Phoenix (like the area, but trying to get above the heat a bit). oro valley sounds nice. We were a bit surprised at the home prices in some areas we looked at. Who knew that Wickenburg had such expensive homes? We also looked at Anthem, Prescott Valley and surrounding areas. Can anyone tell me what one can get for around $300,00 in Oro valley? hope to get a place with 2000+ sq feet and RV parking. Looked at real estate ads but you folks are always more informative. Also, what about snow in the area? Anyone grow citrus there? Thanx

Old 01-13-2008, 08:38 PM

518 posts, read 1,991,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxpacks View Post
Wife and I just got back from exploring the areas above Phoenix (like the area, but trying to get above the heat a bit). oro valley sounds nice. We were a bit surprised at the home prices in some areas we looked at. Who knew that Wickenburg had such expensive homes? We also looked at Anthem, Prescott Valley and surrounding areas. Can anyone tell me what one can get for around $300,00 in Oro valley? hope to get a place with 2000+ sq feet and RV parking. Looked at real estate ads but you folks are always more informative. Also, what about snow in the area? Anyone grow citrus there? Thanx
Just got back from Oro Valley, where my mom and dad have retired to. For what it's worth, they're very happy there -- they have a few complaints about the area, of course, but you'll find that anyplace (and it seems like they gripe a lot less than they did about their former home near Chicago). Here's an outsider's perspective -- I've given the answers I have the most confidence in first:

1. Mom and dad have a lemon tree and many of their neighbors grow either oranges or grapefruits.

2. Mount Lemmon, which isn't far from Oro Valley and is visible from many points in town, was snow-capped last week. We've visited the peak (which is 9,300 feet, I think) during previous visits and people were skiing there.

3. $300,000, 2,000 square feet and RV parking might be doable if you buy an older home, but that's just a semi-educated guess. There's a nice, neat 3/2 for sale for about $260,000 in a 15-year-old development near my parents' place, but it's about 1,600 square feet on a zero-lot-line plot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson