Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 03:35 PM

93 posts, read 200,123 times

Advertisements

Hello. My wife & I are new to becoming snowbirds to your beautiful city and welcome your advice on storage of our automobile when we leave to go back to the East Coast. Do all of you who do not have garages store your vehicles in enclosed rental storage areas (e.g., Public storage and the like). Or are there outdoor storage places where you can use a car cover? Any other options? Also, do you cancel your insurance entirely or leave comprehensive on it? Thanks!

Last edited by FedupwithNJ; 10-27-2014 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: wanted to add a question for insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 06:43 PM

346 posts, read 613,037 times
Personally I would never store a car outdoors with a cover on it...Auto theft is high there and the cars have a way of ending up south of the border...anything less than a secured storage unit would not be advisable in my opinion.
Where in Jersey are you? I lived 35 years in Robbinsville NJ...7a off the NJTPK...got fed up with Jersy and left 5 yrs ago..been down in NC but I really have my heart in Southern AZ so we're going to start the wheels in motion for our return to Tucson...and not as snowbirds either...Good luck with your AZ adventures ;-)

Last edited by TwoWheelMan; 11-14-2014 at 06:51 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 11:29 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
I have spent several winter months in AZ over a 7 years period.

I have not had to leave a vehicle down there when I returned to my permanant home, however I know some friends that do that since they do not have their own garage.

They rent a "Public Storage Unit" that is large enough to accomodate their vehicle. They reduce their insurance coverage to "Comp Only" and they remove the battery from the vehicle and lock it in the trunk.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:38 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
I would never subject my vehicles to the brutal elements even for a few days.

A Battery Tender and an enclosed garage or a Public Storage Unit (if a garage is not available) would be an absolute must in my book for both safety for the vehicle as well as peace of mind for me.

Good Luck

Old 11-16-2014, 05:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I leave my car in my carport. My neighbors all know that I am gone and keep a close eye on my vehicle.

My neighbors will happily give me a ride to the closest bus stop when I am heading off to the airport. And in return, when they need a ride to the doctor or other place, I am there.

As for renting out a storage unit, you need to set some mouse traps in the unit. I used to have a storage unit adjacent to the Salt Lake City airport where we stored a Chrysler minivan. The mice got to the wiring harnesses and we had to get them replaced.

As for the insurance, don't drop the liability UNLESS you are certain that you will NOT be driving the vehicle during that period. You will have NO insurance.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:52 PM

I'm from Butler in North Jersey. Hate the cold.

Thanks for the info. I'm leaving for 4 months in a few days.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:56 PM

Thank you all for your great replies & advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson