Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:01 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

For those who don't know what I am talking about, logo signs are the big blue signs with individual logos of restaurants, gas stations, hotels, campgrounds, and attractions.

Over the past three years, ADOT subsidiary Grand Canyon State Logo Signs have been installing these signs in the Phoenix area after so many years of being restricted to rural areas. Now starting next month, it appears the first logo signs in the Tucson area will be installed, initially on I-10. I-19 is planned for the future.

I wonder what will be the reception of these signs in Tucson. Most people in Phoenix seem to support them, however, considering Tucson's more NIMBY-ish attitude, I wonder if Tucson residents will complain about sign clutter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:45 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Over the past three years, ADOT subsidiary Grand Canyon State Logo Signs have been installing these signs in the Phoenix area after so many years of being restricted to rural areas. Now starting next month, it appears the first logo signs in the Tucson area will be installed, initially on I-10. I-19 is planned for the future.

There are currently logo signs on I-19 at nearly every exit from the Pima Mine Road exit on the reservation to Nogales.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are currently logo signs on I-19 at nearly every exit from the Pima Mine Road exit on the reservation to Nogales.
That area is considered rural by ADOT, thus they have been installed for years there. Parts of the Phoenix area (specifically I-10 from Dysart westward, I-10 east of the Loop 202 SanTan interchange, I-17 north of the Loop 303 interchange, and US 60 east of the SuperRedTan interchange) had them for years as well as they were also considered rural by ADOT, although these areas will eventually fall under the scope of the urban logo sign program, which uses a different pricing structure from the rural program.

Currently, in the Tucson area they have not yet been installed on I-10 from Tangerine Road in Marana to Wilmont Road in southeastern Tucson, nor on any exit on I-19 north of Pima Mine Road. Installation on I-10 from Tangerine to 22nd Street will start next month, followed by I-10 from 6th Avenue to Wilmont in April.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:05 PM

612 posts, read 1,021,148 times
No ill-will intended, Pink Jazz, however I can't help but observe that each post I see from you goes out of it's way to mention the attitude of Tucsonans as regards anything infrastructure related. Have we done something to offend you up there in Gilbert?

I also believe this is a retread of a similar post from the past ... in fact, I'm sure of it: Logo signs on Tucson area freeways - will the local NIMBYs protest?

Fishing?

Old 02-03-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beTucsonan View Post
No ill-will intended, Pink Jazz, however I can't help but observe that each post I see from you goes out of it's way to mention the attitude of Tucsonans as regards anything infrastructure related. Have we done something to offend you up there in Gilbert?

I also believe this is a retread of a similar post from the past ... in fact, I'm sure of it: Logo signs on Tucson area freeways - will the local NIMBYs protest?

Fishing?
Well, Tucson residents always vote down road improvements, as proven by every election involving roads. While little to no taxpayer money goes towards logo signs since they are a revenue generator, I would think there will probably be more opposition in Tucson than there is in Phoenix. It even remains a mystery whether or not the City of Tucson will allow trailblazer logo signs for businesses that are located on a cross street or are not clearly visible from the main road. Since trailblazer signs would need to be installed on city streets, it requires local approval.

Also, nationwide, there also seems to a political divide on whether or not to allow logo signs in urban areas. The states that continue to maintain the restriction of logo signs only to rural areas are largely more liberal, while most of the states that allow them in urban areas are more conservative or are swing states. California (probably the most liberal state in America) has a ridiculous policy that prohibits logo signs in any city with a population of 5000 or greater (hardly urban at all to most people).

Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Well, Tucson residents always vote down road improvements, as proven by every election involving roads.
Actually, on May 16th, 2006, the voters of Pima County, including myself, voted for a sales tax increase to fund $2.1 Billion in transportation improvements over a 20-year span, which includes many projects within the city limits of Tucson.

RTA Plan

While very few Pima County road referendums do pass, they don't always get voted down, case in point, May 16th, 2006!

It's sort of interesting and ironic, don't you think, with the perception that Tucson/Pima County as being quite liberal, yet every single Pima County referendum was voted down last November. I always thought liberals love to vote for tax increases to fund, you name the project.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:34 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Well, Tucson residents always vote down road improvements, as proven by every election involving roads.
When funds are diverted from road maintenance to build soccer fields, what do you expect? Most Pima Co. taxpayers have no confidence that funds that they approve will ever reach the projects that they were intended for.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

It's sort of interesting and ironic, don't you think, with the perception that Tucson/Pima County as being quite liberal, yet every single Pima County referendum was voted down last November. I always thought liberals love to vote for tax increases to fund, you name the project.
Actually, highways are usually favored more by conservatives than liberals.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:01 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Actually, highways are usually favored more by conservatives than liberals.
If I'm not mistaken, only one out of the seven referendums in November dealt with road improvements, and all were defeated including ones dealing with Libraries, Parks and Rec, Tourism, Public Health, Safety, Natural Area Conservation, Historic Preservation, and Flood Control/Drainage.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:56 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Revenue generator for who Pink Jazz? The rocky relationship Tucson has with the State may limit its willingness to put money into a sign to generate revenue appropriated to deal urban freeways (of which Phoenix has an overwhelming share of).

Especially if you consider that every single Gubnatorial candidate make HURF Sweeps their campaign topic in Tucson but neglected it in Maricopa County.

The problem with the last Bond Election was that Pima Co. Already has outrageous property taxes and they were funded through property tax hikes. Pima already has the highest in the state as it is. And it certainly doesn't show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson