Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:09 PM

40 posts, read 44,680 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are strongly considering retiring to Tucson. I love golf; she does not golf. Thus, we are looking for retirement communities that have more than just golf. After hours of looking at CD, I cannot find much information regarding the costs of GOLF and ease of getting tee times. Hoping to get information from current residents/golfers in Tucson!

Our community wish list includes:
1. Costs for 3 BR, 2 BA condo or home: $300K-$400K
2. At least (2) nice 18 hole courses for variety
3. Be able to get tee times without too much fuss in the "winter" months
4. Wife needs a nice outdoor pool or 2

What retirement communities should we consider? And what are their costs (including HOA fees) for an annual pass, cart fees, etc.

You are welcome to add any other comments or suggestions!

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 07:28 PM

68 posts, read 125,272 times
Saddlebrooke. Three golf courses. Not crowded. Look at their website for costs and info.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,259,832 times
Since I see you're new here, I'm going to assume you don't know your question has been asked and answered here many times before. People moving to Tucson's active adult communities, and those interested in golf, are some of the most active people posting on C-D Tucson.

Here is a link to some of the MANY threads that discuss these topics.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=17249290

Among the most popular communities are the SaddleBrooke mentioned by RCN55 above and the nearby SaddleBrooke Ranch, which has a wave pool with a faux beach and an enormous activities building.
Sun City, in the popular, growing, and scenic Tucson suburb of Oro Valley, has:

• expansive common areas and three recreation centers
  • 18-hole champtionship golf course designed by Greg Nash
  • aquatic and fitness center
  • library with over 20,000 titles
  • Olympic-sized pool
  • activity center with a 40-seat auditorium
  • bocce and pickle-ball courts
  • 8 tennis courts
  • cafe with golf course view and convenient wifi access
  • computer learning center
  • artisan center
  • miniature golf course and more
There are several golf-oriented communities in Green Valley, a town south of Tucson. One of the most popular is Robson's Quail Creek with 27 championship golf holes that can be played in three different 18-hole combination. Quail Creek also has six different home communities; an elaborate athletic club with a multitude of choices, from aquatic and aerobic to tennis and yoga activities; lighted tennis and bocce courts, pools and dog park; a new Creative Arts & Technology Center, more than 12,000 sq. ft. of well-equipped facilities to accommodate a variety of classes and workshops; a clubhouse featuring a ballroom for events and dancing, lending library, multi-purpose rooms, coffee bar and lounge, billiards room and patio with outdoor fireplace with golf course views; and a restaurant.

The Highlands at Dove Mountain in Marana, AZ, another popular suburb of Tucson is another place very popular with golfers. It has its own 18-hole championship course designed by Arthur Hills and is close to many other courses in this beautiful area. Other amenities include a 29,000 sq. ft. clubhouse with a ballroom, a library, a computer room, an arts and crafts center, billiards, a golf pro shop, etc. The Highlands has its own restaurant and lounge and has access to many other things in the growing suburban areas northwest of Tucson. It's a community with an enormous number of formal classes and clubs for every interest, including an very active hiking group. There is also a 5,500 sq. ft. fitness center, a huge heated pool and many racket sports.

You can take tours of these places and more and many of their websites have videos online.
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Old 05-02-2015, 10:32 PM

Jukesgrrl, I tried to open your link but was denied. . ? Will look at Saddlebrook; and Pebblebrook seems a possibility. Would like to know, firsthand, the availability of tee times in the winter...?

Old 05-03-2015, 08:13 PM

68 posts, read 125,272 times
When checking out the golf courses at various communities, check on the procedure for getting a tee time. At Dove Mountain they have a complicated lottery system in the winter to get a tee time at the one course. Not a good sign. You can call the pro shops at the various courses and ask about how busy the course is. Don't be shy, I got lots of info from the pro shop managers. And ask the procedure for resident tee times. Look at the public websites for the communities, as well as the HOA sites. Lots of info at your fingertips.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:34 PM

Thank you RCN55! Interesting to learn about Dove Mountain. This is the kind of insight I was hoping CD members would provide. Got to believe any one looking at Tucson golf communities would appreciate the inside scoop. Perhaps I will start another thread asking what you love about your golf course(s)/community and what you would change if you could. Pace of play, course conditions, availability of tee times in the winter, etc.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:51 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,259,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4ever View Post
Jukesgrrl, I tried to open your link but was denied. . ? Will look at Saddlebrook; and Pebblebrook seems a possibility. Would like to know, firsthand, the availability of tee times in the winter...?
You don't need my link. There's a SEARCH function at the top of every C-D page. Open the advanced search. Type in "golf active adult communities over 55" or whatever are the other topics you want info on. Leave the box checked that indicates you want those words in the text and the titles. Then indicate on the right-hand side you want to search the Tucson thread only by highlighting it. Then hit submit. You'll get an entire list of articles from the Tucson C-D thread in which those search topics appear.

To find out the procedure for signing up for golf at any of these communities, just google their websites. Or as RCN55 suggested, call them.

There aren't thousands of people on this Tucson discussion board, so your chances of having your query read by people who actually live at all the over-55 communities is limited. As for Pebblebrook, the only golf course I know with that name is in Sun City near Phoenix, not Tucson.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:19 AM

Thank you Jukesgrrl!!

Old 05-14-2015, 11:06 AM

11 posts, read 10,274 times
Forty-niner is offering some nice deals. I think the housing might be a little higher than you are looking for, but I like that is not too far away from town.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:25 PM

105 posts, read 226,097 times
My wife and I are going to pick out a home in Quail Creek this week. After extensive shopping around it seems far and away the best fit for us. I am also a golfer and they have 27 holes. I've played it and was pleasantly surprised with the course quality. You can look up Quail Creek and from pictures and viewing the course with satellite view in Google maps get a pretty good idea. Im giving you approx numbers here as our info is already packed away getting ready for the move but a card that gives you 80 nine hole rounds or 40 18's and is good for one year is about $1700. A card for unlimited golf for one year was about $2500.

I think those included carts fees but most homes and owners have a smaller golf cart garage as part of tree home. I know I will.
Maybe we'll be neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson