Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 07:50 AM

87 posts, read 116,279 times

Advertisements

Currently, we are expats living overseas and have been for the last 9 years and have not had to drive a car during that time. We are making a trip to Tucson next month to check out places to live in the Saddlebrooke area, and I'm a little skittish about getting back to freeway driving plus the speeds in AZ are a little higher than I was used to! My husband will do the freeway driving in the beginning but I want to be able to do that again eventually. Is there an easier road I can take that would at least get me to Oro Valley for shopping from the Saddlebrooke area? If not, is HWY 77 a scary and super fast road to drive? I was disappointed to read recently how horrible AZ drivers are so that adds to my nervousness. Isn't HWY 77 also North Oracle Rd where all the malls and restaurants are located? I would think the speed would not be above 45-50 mph on that road but I don't know. I know, I know, I sound like a real wimp but I just want to ease into driving again and not be a nervous driver on the road. Would really appreciate getting some positive feedback! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 12:02 PM

439 posts, read 958,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisypups View Post
Currently, we are expats living overseas and have been for the last 9 years and have not had to drive a car during that time. We are making a trip to Tucson next month to check out places to live in the Saddlebrooke area, and I'm a little skittish about getting back to freeway driving plus the speeds in AZ are a little higher than I was used to! My husband will do the freeway driving in the beginning but I want to be able to do that again eventually. Is there an easier road I can take that would at least get me to Oro Valley for shopping from the Saddlebrooke area? If not, is HWY 77 a scary and super fast road to drive? I was disappointed to read recently how horrible AZ drivers are so that adds to my nervousness. Isn't HWY 77 also North Oracle Rd where all the malls and restaurants are located? I would think the speed would not be above 45-50 mph on that road but I don't know. I know, I know, I sound like a real wimp but I just want to ease into driving again and not be a nervous driver on the road. Would really appreciate getting some positive feedback! Thank you!
Hi Daisypups..

Sent you a direct message regarding living up here. Compared to Virginia...the driving is a piece of cake. Roads around are very well monitored by Sheriff and local Oro Valley police.

Hubby and I just returned from the bay area, San Francisco and I wanted to kiss the ground, drivers were insane there.

I think we get alot of bad press about the drivers here...from my years of experience driving in the northwest areas. Because we do not have many interstates across town, speeds are lower and police monitored. I will say that on the back roads, HWY 79 to Phoenix...back route folks will do the speed limit and then some but unless you drive it every day should not be concerned.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:43 PM

612 posts, read 1,020,858 times
To answer your questions directly:

1) No, there are not really any viable alternative routes to using Oracle Road/Highway 77.
2) Yes, Highway 77 is Oracle Road and - yes - much of the area shopping is on that very road.
3) The speed limit is 50mph, I believe, through the section you would be driving. You don't see many speeders out that way since the local cops are ridiculous about enforcement.
4) It is not scary at all - it is a big, wide, well-paved road with plenty of stoplights, turn lanes, shoulders and whatnot for your convenience.

Rudydog1 is correct that driving here should be a piece of cake, but if you are not comfortable driving it, please don't. That isn't meant to be rude, but any vehicle going 50mph is a deadly weapon in unsure hands and Oracle Road does present a number of variables to your "standard" drive such as the occasional hot shot driver who has to pass everybody and switch lanes repeatedly, lots of cyclists, trucks, lots of traffic entering and exiting to get to all of the aforementioned shopping, etc..

Old 06-10-2015, 01:21 PM

Hi there, I just read your msg before checking this thread. Again, thank you so much for your input and making me feel a little less panicky about driving over there. I am originally from the Bay Area so I know what you experienced. I don't drive the freeways anymore! Highway 280 used to be my favorite freeway but that's gotten crazy, too! After not driving for several years it will just take a little time. Thanks again!

Old 06-10-2015, 01:26 PM

Thanks Baja - I won't be on the roads if they present a problem for me. What you and RudyDog describe about HWY 77 seems like I should be able to handle it once I get used to being behind the wheel. Look out!

Old 06-10-2015, 02:28 PM

720 posts, read 995,896 times
Just drive at rush hour and you can go nice and slow!!! Lol I am a wimpy driver too even though I am a Boston driver. I just stay off I-10. The rest is not so bad !
!

Old 06-10-2015, 08:26 PM

68 posts, read 126,169 times
So much construction going on on Hwy 77/Oracle you can barely break 35 mph between Saddlebrooke and Oro Valley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson