Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 09:01 AM

97 posts, read 134,174 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Tucson. Does car color really mater in terms of heat, deterioration of vehicle, and resale?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 AM

700 posts, read 918,919 times
Yes. White. You won't be sorry. If you're buying.

Dark cars can be like 350 F, while white cars will be under 200 F. Astronomers paint astronomical observatories white because white reflects the most heat. They experimented with silver, but turns out silver is basically gray and is hotter than white. They need a heat-wave free view.

And tinted windows to keep the sun out or you will be using a cardboard dashboard sun blocker all the time. The jokes here go like: "car comes with oven-mitt package." Only thing is it's not a joke; I use SPF 50 sports fingerless gloves to drive when I visit. Wish I had thought of it when I lived there.

P.S. I had a vintage 1970 convertible VW bug when I moved to Tucson from Virginia. While I was in Tucson for 15 years, I had to replace the top three times, and I used a whole-car cover. Gets expensive.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:34 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
These may help:

Car colors interior and exterior

I apologize if this is a RIDICULOUS question:

Silver and white cars are cooler, says study

Old 06-28-2015, 10:57 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,856 times
Note that a white vehicle won't be cooler than a black one, it'll just be a bit less hot. You'll still fry your thighs and the palms of your hands if you let it sit in the sun for a few hours.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:09 PM

299 posts, read 545,648 times
Another tip: if you don't have a dashboard cover (usually carpet-like) get one, plus one of the silver type or other for your windshield. Many years ago I had a new car, did not bother covering the dash & windshield. Car was 4-5 yo when the dashboard and even the steering column had cracks in them. I have a 2003 Toyota pickup (white), bought it new from dealer, was outside in full sun in the parking lot at work for 5 yrs before I retired. Have had covered parking at home for about 10 years - truck still looks good. Now and then I find a note on my windshield - wanting to buy my truck. I don't have an alarm on my pickup, use a break lock.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:00 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Being somewhat of a Vehicle Nut I am convinced Common Sense and Maintenance are much more important than the actual color of a vehicle. Personally, my avoidance of Black Vehicles has nothing to do with the interior temperature as much as the frequent "dusty" appearance.

Any type and/or color vehicle sitting in the direct sunlight will be HOT inside and the paint as well as the interior will begin to show "wear and tear" in no time. Frequent "baths" and detailing will definitely help but nothing beats inside or at least covered parking whenever and wherever possible. Even most parking lots have a few shady spots available even if it does require a little searching and possibly a few extra steps.

In the long haul, regardless of interior or exterior color, a vehicle will look better and maintain its value much better / longer with a little care and common sense.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:09 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
As for resale vale, note that pretty much anywhere the color with the lowest resale value is green.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:16 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
Another thing--don't get leather seats. You will be sorry if you sit on hot leather seats wearing shorts. Same with a hard plastic steering wheel. They can get too hot to hold on to.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:16 AM

700 posts, read 918,919 times
I luv GREEN. More green cars, cheaper, for me!!

Old 06-29-2015, 10:01 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As for resale vale, note that pretty much anywhere the color with the lowest resale value is green.
Source?

Conventional wisdom tells us best resale is in the most common colors due to a broader pool of potential buyers (much like people paint their house neutral colors before putting up for sale). But the only study I found was this one, which I find a little hard to believe to be honest:

Study: The best, worst car colors by resale value - Story | abcactionnews.com | Tampa Bay News, Weather, Sports, Things To Do | WFTS-TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: