Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 12:16 AM

88 posts, read 130,816 times

Advertisements

We lived in Tucson from 95-04, and recently moved back. We were surprised at the longevity of some of the businesses still around, especially some of the restaurants. Ones we thought were horrible then are still alive and well. Others we loved, we've revisted and had mixed results - some we still love, others we think maybe our tastes have changed. However, there are 2 that we're trying to remember to revisit, but haven't been successful. Hoping some long time resident knows what we're looking for:

1) This restaurant was fairly large. We believe it served Mexican food, and for some reason, we feel like it was chain-y. We can't remember if we liked the food or not, but we loved the atmosphere. We think it was just east of I-10, possibly close to the downtown area. It was large, and may have had seating both upstairs and down, I do remember stairs close to our table. My husband swears it was an old train station. We both remember very large ceiling fans that ran on some type of pulley system.

2) This place was a really small Mexican place. I don't even know if we ever ate inside; I can only remember walking in for take-out. We always ordered their green corn tamales. We lived on base at the time, and remember just shooting straight up from base, so we're thinking it was either Wilmot or Craycroft. (I feel it was the latter.) We want to say it was either 29th or 22nd, and we're pretty positive it was on the north east side of the road.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 05:26 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
For #1, it sounds like the chain Carlos Murphy's which later became a Garcia's, which was a Phoenix-based (later Oklahoma City-based) franchise. It was at Central or Alameda and Congress on the south side, my wife worked across the street in the state building. It's not there anymore, the Garcia's chain folded about ten years ago. The original Garcia's is still up in Phoenix.

For #2, it sounds like Sanchez Burrito, but I thought they closed in the mid-90s, at least the one on West Valencia around 12th did and was replaced by Los Betos. I'm not sure about that one, though. I can visualize the place, east side of the road.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:51 AM

Thank you! Both of those names sound familiar, so I bet you're right. We only lived on base for a couple years, then bought out in RR, so that makes sense that they did close when you're thinking.

Was it a train station that housed Carlos Murphy's? Is anything else in there now? We remember the atmosphere was really fun and the bldg cool!

We went back to El Charro's last night, and it was as good as we remembered. But for fun, I'll continue looking for a little dive with awesome green corn tamales!

Old 08-20-2015, 09:58 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laststoptucson View Post
Thank you! Both of those names sound familiar, so I bet you're right. We only lived on base for a couple years, then bought out in RR, so that makes sense that they did close when you're thinking.

Was it a train station that housed Carlos Murphy's? Is anything else in there now? We remember the atmosphere was really fun and the bldg cool!

We went back to El Charro's last night, and it was as good as we remembered. But for fun, I'll continue looking for a little dive with awesome green corn tamales!
I'm pretty sure it was the downtown train station for Carlos Murphy's/Garcia's. The building is still there, the railroad tracks are gone. See link for a nice aerial.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/41...838cf299e57f91

I found the best green corn tamales to be at El Saguarito, Ina and Oracle, but that place closed a few years back. I used to go to Phoenix for holidays and driving back to OK I'd stop at the bakery and tortilleria at Park and 22nd and bring back a couple dozen... I looked online and it too appears to be closed.

I could start a "food fight" here about carne seca, most places in Tucson do it very well. Passing through Tucson in June, I stopped at St. Mary's Torilla Factory (west of I-10 on St. Mary's) because I've had great experience with them. Brought a cooler and took a few quarts back here.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:25 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,338 times
That is the old El Paso & Southwestern Railroad Depot.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:26 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,607 times
I drive from Oro Valley to Perfecto's on 12th, south of Irvington, to get my green corn tamales.
Perfecto's Mexican Restaurant Right now is chile harvest season in New Mexico so you can also find people selling them in parking lots at shopping centers too, but you never know the quality till you try them.

Should you ever find yourself in Albuquerque be sure to check out El Modelo, they have a 5 star rating on Trip advisor. WARNING, tamales are huge! If you can usually eat three, only order two!
El Modelo Home Page#_=_

Old 08-20-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
I drive from Oro Valley to Perfecto's on 12th, south of Irvington, to get my green corn tamales.
Perfecto's Mexican Restaurant Right now is chile harvest season in New Mexico so you can also find people selling them in parking lots at shopping centers too, but you never know the quality till you try them.

Should you ever find yourself in Albuquerque be sure to check out El Modelo, they have a 5 star rating on Trip advisor. WARNING, tamales are huge! If you can usually eat three, only order two!
El Modelo Home Page#_=_

During our move out here, we went a tad out of our way in Albuquerque to hit El Pinto, based on a friend's recommendation. I loved their salsa and the food was really good, but my favorite part was they had a dog patio - which is a must for cross-country moves with a pet! Have you been to El Pinto? How does El Modelo compare? I see EM has higher trip advisor ratings.

We'll try Perfectos, thanks for that recommendation! We've got a deal we won't do a repeat until we've hit them "all" - so I'm happy to hear all the suggestions. Mexican is our favorite! We came from Illinois last, and in our cul de sac and the one across from us, there were 5 Mexican spouses. We'd throw huge parties and everyone would bring out their best dishes - but not one of them had even heard of green corn tamales - they were shocked to hear of a tamale without meat. I promised them I'd learn how to make them, or find some really good frozen ones to ship to them.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was the downtown train station for Carlos Murphy's/Garcia's. The building is still there, the railroad tracks are gone. See link for a nice aerial.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/41...838cf299e57f91

I found the best green corn tamales to be at El Saguarito, Ina and Oracle, but that place closed a few years back. I used to go to Phoenix for holidays and driving back to OK I'd stop at the bakery and tortilleria at Park and 22nd and bring back a couple dozen... I looked online and it too appears to be closed.

I could start a "food fight" here about carne seca, most places in Tucson do it very well. Passing through Tucson in June, I stopped at St. Mary's Torilla Factory (west of I-10 on St. Mary's) because I've had great experience with them. Brought a cooler and took a few quarts back here.
We were at a bbq on July 4th where someone had brought St. Mary's tortillas. I think those were some of the best tortillas I've ever had. I didn't know they were a restaurant - can't wait to try this now, too. Thank you!!

Old 08-20-2015, 12:35 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laststoptucson View Post
During our move out here, we went a tad out of our way in Albuquerque to hit El Pinto, based on a friend's recommendation. I loved their salsa and the food was really good, but my favorite part was they had a dog patio - which is a must for cross-country moves with a pet! Have you been to El Pinto? How does El Modelo compare? I see EM has higher trip advisor ratings.

We'll try Perfectos, thanks for that recommendation! We've got a deal we won't do a repeat until we've hit them "all" - so I'm happy to hear all the suggestions. Mexican is our favorite! We came from Illinois last, and in our cul de sac and the one across from us, there were 5 Mexican spouses. We'd throw huge parties and everyone would bring out their best dishes - but not one of them had even heard of green corn tamales - they were shocked to hear of a tamale without meat. I promised them I'd learn how to make them, or find some really good frozen ones to ship to them.
Didn't make it to El Pinto, will put it on my list to try. Last year at this time I spent a week traveling through New Mexico durring chile harvest season trying out mexican restaurants recomended by the locals. Went from Demming to Abq. trying different places! IF you like New Mexican style mexican food, (lots of spicy green chile dishes) you can't get any better than Poco and Moms at Kolb/22nd here in Tucson. Their salsa and chips are very mediocre, BUT their food is outstanding, anything with green chile on it! Omelets, to burgers, green chile pork stew, chile relleno, all are awesome. The green chile chicken enchiladas the best I have ever had. One of those small family run hole in the wall type of place where waitresses know all the regulars etc. Can be hard to get a seat during peak hours., In my tour of NM I didn't find anyone that had better NM style mexican food than what I can get at Poco and Moms.
Poco & Mom's Restaurant - About Us - Tucson, AZ

Old 08-20-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Didn't make it to El Pinto, will put it on my list to try. Last year at this time I spent a week traveling through New Mexico durring chile harvest season trying out mexican restaurants recomended by the locals. Went from Demming to Abq. trying different places! IF you like New Mexican style mexican food, (lots of spicy green chile dishes) you can't get any better than Poco and Moms at Kolb/22nd here in Tucson. Their salsa and chips are very mediocre, BUT their food is outstanding, anything with green chile on it! Omelets, to burgers, green chile pork stew, chile relleno, all are awesome. The green chile chicken enchiladas the best I have ever had. One of those small family run hole in the wall type of place where waitresses know all the regulars etc. Can be hard to get a seat during peak hours., In my tour of NM I didn't find anyone that had better NM style mexican food than what I can get at Poco and Moms.
Poco & Mom's Restaurant - About Us - Tucson, AZ
We're staying in a condo down from a Poco & Mom's Cantina on Tanque Verde (7000 E Tanque Verde). We read mixed reviews on Yelp, so have been saving it for a night we don't want to drive very far. I'm guessing it has to be the same Poco and Mom. El Pinto was my first New Mexican style - and I loved the chilis! I mentioned while we were there, that I was going to learn how to start incorporating them into my cooking. As soon as I have a decent kitchen again (a whole other less fun exploration - house shopping), I can't wait to try! Do you think there's a difference between the food quality at the two places? Maybe we should go with the original first, just to make sure we get your recommended. I love green child chicken enchiladas! Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson