U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 11:01 AM

1,426 posts, read 2,588,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The real issue isn't traffic it's the drunk driver road network planning thats really at issue.
Mind clarifying that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 11:13 AM

7,059 posts, read 4,059,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Mind clarifying that?
Tucson has a really bad road network. Roads that change names multiple times, untimed stop lights, no expressways making it faster to commute from the burbs than it is from Midtown, IMO poor execution on urban planning.

But I think City Council and long term residents prefer it that way.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:57 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,513,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Tucson has a really bad road network. Roads that change names multiple times, untimed stop lights, no expressways making it faster to commute from the burbs than it is from Midtown, IMO poor execution on urban planning.

But I think City Council and long term residents prefer it that way.
It isn't only City Council because the issue of a bad network extends all over Pima County, not merely within the City of Tucson. Roads that change names (or more frequently disappear and reappear) and untimed stoplights are rampant in the suburbs and throughout unincorporated Pima County.

But for the OP's sake, let's get off this talk about traffic, unless we're going to address how it reflects on life in Metro Tucson in general. I would fully agree that traffic issues are emblematic of the complacency that exists among residents of Pima County. If we just take the issue of the nonexistent crosstown expressway alone, it fully illustrates the issue.

It would make life in Tucson so much more efficient (for businesses as well as individuals) if we had such a thing, but there is no civic will to spend the money. Just as there was no civic will to keep Spring Training professional baseball here. Just as there was no civic will to make the Rio Nuevo improvement scheme do anything other than spread the money around to friends of the Board for multi-million dollar "studies."

Why is that? Too many people living here who are not natives and feel little civic pride? Too many retirees living on fixed incomes and terrified of taxes? Too many Libertarians who believe citizens have no responsibility toward community welfare? Too little cross-communication among the Caucasian, Latino, and Native American populations? Weak leadership in the business community? The fact that the vast majority of jobs here are dependent on government spending?

Old 10-27-2015, 08:49 PM

17,290 posts, read 21,149,903 times
I hope to be in Tucson, soon enough, and I don't care how much the city "shrinks" on me in my retirement years. Coming from a city (Las Vegas) with too many choices, I'm looking forward to city with far less choices, as choice is agony, choicelessness is freedom? And, reviewing a list of the most conservative cities in the country, I see Tucson is several notches below conservative Las Vegas and Phoenix. Hopefully, more liberal!

To me, the Number 1 attraction to Tucson is the one hour drive to a foreign country, and to Nogales, where I plan to spend some Saturday nights bar hopping, or even spending the entire weekend, staying at the Colonial Motel.

And from there, you're 2 hours by bus to Hermosillo, and another 2 hours by bus to Guaymas, the ocean!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:01 AM

6,021 posts, read 5,760,500 times
Hey, tjlover, my wife and I are planning on retiring in either Bisbee, Tombstone, Benson, Willcox or Tucson in around 5 years and 10 months and some spare change.

I just can't think of anywhere else in the U.S. I would be happier. How long until you are going to retire? I know, the choices for dental care in Mexico are only a few of the many, many reasons we're choosing the southern Arizona area.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:27 AM

122 posts, read 205,246 times
Having lived in Sinaloa for 6 years, I would suggest traveling a little farther and spending some time in Mazatlan. The Malecon and Olas Altas the Ice Box Hill area around El Centro. Many good memories!!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:05 PM

4,531 posts, read 3,607,354 times
Traffic makes Tucson seem larger than it actually is.

I find Tucson to be of ok size. For me personally it's on the small end and I would prefer to live somewhere larger. But not bad.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:32 AM

7,059 posts, read 4,059,257 times
What's the popular saying they make about Tucson:

It's a big small town that allows it to have a lack of amenities, economy and infastructure but just large enough to have smog, crime and traffic?

I love Tucson, but this is rings pretty true with me.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:04 PM

14,219 posts, read 23,915,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Why is that? Too many people living here who are not natives and feel little civic pride? Too many retirees living on fixed incomes and terrified of taxes? Too many Libertarians who believe citizens have no responsibility toward community welfare? Too little cross-communication among the Caucasian, Latino, and Native American populations? Weak leadership in the business community? The fact that the vast majority of jobs here are dependent on government spending?
I think that is all pretty accurate.

Just listen to some of the rhetoric around the bond levy.

On the other hand, when you see some of the projects included in the bond levy, you have to really wonder if the local leaders are operating in a parallel universe.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:59 PM

6,749 posts, read 6,140,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
TRAFFIC? . . . you guys definitely need to get out more.
Tucson doesn't have the typical problems people usually associate with "traffic". The problem in Tucson is that you have reasonably crowded surface streets with people driving 55 mph and people pulling out into traffic from parking lots, side streets and my favorite, two people traveling in different directions pulling into the middle turn lane simultaneously.

Then of course intersections like Speedway and Campbell which are so wide that they might as well be an interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or